List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see Merrett mentioned, as far as I'm concerned he should be in red and white next year with Richards possibly bowing out this weekend. I think there is a possibility Richards will stay on and play with Aliir and X Richards to help develop them and provide cover for injuries.

Now, I haven't watched Merrrett in a little while, but I remember him being a mean and complete KPD. Seems the sort that would want some big finals games and can be bolted onto our back 6. Who's seen him lately?

Last edited:
Although pick1 doesn't seem to make much sense for us at first glance, could we maybe be looking at Petracca to replace Goodes in the forward half if Membrey is leaving? Membrey - 188 cm/90 kg, Petracca - 186cm/92kg, so not a huge difference. It would also mean that we get maximum compensation for Hannebery if we suspect that he'll head back to Melbourne at the end of his contract anyway.

This would mean in terms of best 22:
Out: Hannebery, Malceski, Goodes, Shaw?
In: Mitchell, Biggs, Petracca, Jones/Heeney

It doesn't look too bad to me on paper, although its a lot of experience walking out the door to be replaced by youngsters.

B Nick Smith,Ted Richards, Shane Biggs
HB Gary Rohan,Heath Grundy,Dane Rampe
C Tom Mitchell,Josh Kennedy,Ben McGlynn
HF Jarrad McVeigh,Lance Franklin,Harry Cunningham
F Christian Petracca,Kurt Tippett,Sam Reid.
Fol Mike Pyke,Luke Parker,Kieren Jack
.I/C Craig Bird,Lewis Jetta,Jake Lloyd
Sub Heeney/Jones

It is still a team capable of winning a premiership despite blooding a lot of youngsters. As a result it shows how well placed the Swans are in the near future. The biggest concern the Swans have at the moment is Richards and Grundy. We need to find replacements for them, especially Richards, very soon.

This is why I think a deal is unlikely to occur between us on pick 1. Probably more just us WANTING Hannebery/Parker, realistically the deal is probably not going to go through.

Well they are contracted for a start...

It is still a team capable of winning a premiership despite blooding a lot of youngsters. As a result it shows how well placed the Swans are in the near future. The biggest concern the Swans have at the moment is Richards and Grundy. We need to find replacements for them, especially Richards, very soon.

I think the trades that will occur out of the Swans are:

Mitchell (pick 7)
Malceski (Free Agency - End of 2nd round pick)

Retirements:

LRT
ROK
Shaw
Goodes

Delisting:

Harrison Marsh
Matthew Dick
Jordan Lockyear

It would be great if Walsh could stay another year to provide some key defensive cover. Tim Membrey may be tempted to stay if Goodes retires. This would give him a good run at a place in the team.

This makes nine list changes.

Rookie upgrades could be:

- X Richards
- Lloyd
- Naismith
- Biggs

We could then take five kids in the draft:

- Pick 7
- Heeney
- Late second round
- Late second round (Malceski compensation)
- 3rd Round

It would be good if we could get a good key defensive prospect at pick 7. Walsh if he signs could provide cover while X Richards and Allir continue to develop.

If we save some money in 2015 and front end some contracts, then we will decrease our future liability.

Well yeah and 'untradeable' for the second

I was trying to be nice, as the Saints are obviously crying out for a gun midfielder or two so can't blame them for asking the question, but yes, that too.

I was trying to be nice, as the Saints are obviously crying out for a gun midfielder or two so can't blame them for asking the question, but yes, that too.

Robinson, Hewitt racking up the numbers in the NEAFL all begging for a chance and would be dirt cheap thats where i would target if i was the Saints.

High profile trades involving pick 1 are very very rare.

I think the trades that will occur out of the Swans are:

Mitchell (pick 7)
Malceski (Free Agency - End of 2nd round pick)

Andrew Ireland was interviewed on SEN's The Run Home yesterday about this (and other things) and it was clear from the interview that Mitchell is very much a part of the club's future plans so I think we can finally put an end to the Mitchell trade rumours.

"We believe Tommy will be a really good player for us and with a with good pre-season, and not having so many injuries, he will go well next year," Ireland said.

I believe Malceski hasn't made up his mind yet, but we are keen to retain both.

Link to SEN interview --> http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Eddies-COLA-jibes-poor-form-Swans-CEO/71590

Article in The Age --> http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...alceski-and-tom-mitchell-20140924-10lli9.html

If the choice came down to losing Parker or Hanners, I would let Hanners go. Parker is our number one midfielder and offers greater leadership potential to Hanners.

Pick one from St Kilda will give us a draft of Patrencca and Heeney. That's scary!

Continuing my hypothetical from before, packaging up Malceski and Membrey plus some steak knives to a club in need might get us a shot at an ok KPD? Or it seems there's still a chance that Walsh might stay from reading the comments that RW posted.

What he has said there makes you know he is going to be an absolute gun. Not many players would have hung around after performing so well and missing out. Carlton fans' reactions that stated he was headed there all year will be brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has to excite all Swans fans. He could easily have thrown the toys out of the cot and stormed out for a guaranteed best 22 elsewhere but he wants to force his way into a great team. And he clearly backs his ability to do it.

On the other hand he does have great money and the offer of premierships right now to make it an easier choice. Nevertheless, very pleasing to hear.

27855-look-but-don-t-touch.jpg

I still can't believe we didn't turn up to play! ITS THE GRAND FINAL WHAT MORE MOTIVATION DO YOU NEED TO GET UP!

Can never understand how one team can 'want it more' in a Grand Final, yet it happened today. Utterly bewildered.

Reid , Jetta must go
I don't think we would get much at all after today's performance. Reid is still only 21,however he doesn't deserve to be in the 22 at the moment.

If i were horse, is put him in the neafl until he commands a spot, and i don't just mean a 4 goal game, I mean tearing the door down with series of monster performances

You guys are all ready to ease Ted Richards? He wasn't great, but he had mates.

Where is Kieren Jack's best position? Has his brother, Brandon, got a chance?

There was speculation Teddy was retiring iirc. Anyway, he wasn't alone, but change needs to happen if we want to beat the Hawks. Their forward line kills our backline every time we play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back