Review Fremantle d North Melbourne by 73 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Two big positives for me:

1. Small fwds clicked and made us so dangerous fwd of centre (though we still let a few soda's go unrewarded, but that happens).

We saw Walters building last week and he was all the way back tonight. Look out AFL if he and Balla maintain their form, because it's probably the one area we've been truly down this year. They continue to play like that and we'll be near unstoppable.

2. Small backs getting it done. You could tell Spurr and Sutty were determined to get their defensive s**t together this week after being sloppy last week. RTB obviously gave them a job to do and they were sensational.

What I'd like to have seen:

- Tabs clunk a few more relatively easy marks. He's a strange one, when he's on he's got really nice hands, but every so often he puts on the iron mitts and it's a bit frustrating. But overall, you can see he knows what to do when he's out there. So good to have the luxury to rest your prime-mover and give Tabs some extra exposure in the second half where he did great.

Bit Harsh on Suban. I thought Subes was alright. Might have to re-watch the game and have a look.

Yeah, Suban was OK from what I could tell ... I'd call it par. As is often the case, his best footy was early before he faded out a bit, that's my take.

Oh and that awful tackle, talk about getting it wrong ... lucky not to have KO'd himself from what I saw. Took a bit to get it together after that I reckon.

Not harsh on suban, just thought he was average by his standards. was ok early but nothing sensational. Then faded as he does. He isn't a young player or a developing player anymore so he shouldn't fade out of games. He made a couple of howlers, one in the last quarter he hand passed into heaven traffic in the defensive fifty. Fyfe gave him a huge spray, then walked a few steps and turned and gave it to him again.

Yeah, Suban was OK from what I could tell ... I'd call it par. As is often the case, his best footy was early before he faded out a bit, that's my take.
Oh and that awful tackle, talk about getting it wrong ... lucky not to have KO'd himself from what I saw. Took a bit to get it together after that I reckon.

And he missed a relatively easy mark just prior iirc. His error led to it, and he led head first into the tackle.

Players are afraid to bump, there will be plenty of contests closer to chest to chest when losing your place for a week or two could mean your spot for the year.

He could have tackled though... and he led head first. Was a strange decision. He is just in the position where competition for spots are. Gu, coz, weller and blackly are pushing for his spot.

He was remarkable gracious and introspective. Gave full credit to Freo and admitted that we made them look ordinary. Said his team are a long way off the pace of the better teams.
I was surprised and impressed with his presser.
Went and watched the whole press conference after seeing your post. He was classy, insightful and clear. I dont usually like him at all, he has been one of the things i haven't liked about north... with harvey. But he was very impressive tonight.

As long as Suban is stripping, kicking and clearing those handballs to the player in space to deliver forward he won't be out of the team.

Suban looks quiet when our other mids walk it out of the middle.

Yeah get that in some ways. But he also can look quiet when our mids aren't walking it out.

21 possessions tonight. 6 handballs. 1 Clearance. Ross seems to like him in the team I just think that on the last fortnights performance he would be under pressure. Prior to that he was building some good form. He was the weakest of our strong midfield group tonight imo.

Tabs needs to watch the ball all the way into his hands. Some of the marks he spills is because he takes his eyes off it at the last moment. Simple technical flaw that can be eradicated and will improve with confidence.

Another thing that stood out from being at the game is just how quickly and precisely Ibbo can judge a ball in-flight. It's obviously a key reason why he is such a good intercept marker.

Very happy days!

How many Fyfes were out there? From where I sit at the game I kept seeing many players doing Fyfesque deeds, busting out of packs and tackles to hand pass or kick, flying high for mark, relentless, exhilarating. Especially confusing if they have long hair - Mundy and Mayne! Fyfe inspires our other players by his endeavour and brilliance and there is such a high level of synergy that is driving other players to greater heights.

Positives: 2 games clear at the top of the table; beat #2 team in a canter.

Negatives: Long-term Fremantle supporter pessimism attack just under surface; can't believe good things would actually happen to team ;)

Last edited:
Yeah get that in some ways. But he also can look quiet when our mids aren't walking it out.

21 possessions tonight. 6 handballs. 1 Clearance. Ross seems to like him in the team I just think that on the last fortnights performance he would be under pressure. Prior to that he was building some good form. He was the weakest of our strong midfield group tonight imo.
Not bad stats for the weakest link. Kangas best mids got 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pros
- every single player contributed. Was great to watch.

- Walters was all class and Ballas was all heart.

- Tabs, Sherro, Neil, Fyfe, Sutty, Walters, Clancee, Clarke, Hill, Subes. Not bad for an old team.

- D Pearce isn't going backwards. Was a gun last night.

- Hearing the crowd boo Harvey was great. Our fans know what's up.

- Evident that the pressure on spots is preventing any notion of being "due for a loss".

Cons
- scheduling us at the same time as Hawks/Sydney.

All up twas another great step forward. No injuries and we march on Adelaide with the boys hungry for blood.

Last edited:
Doesn´t anyone realise that one of Tabs main roles is to act as a DECOY and draw defenders away from Pav?? For NBA fans it is a bit like Kevin Love at the Cavs acting as a Stretch 3 to draw defenders away and allow Lebron to dominate.

Yet every time on this site posters blast Tabs for not kicking 4 and taking 10 marks. Thats not his role.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Tabs started to get a lot more of the ball once Pav was off (i.e. Tabs then assumed the focal point role).

I think his role is more than just a decoy.

But he is doing it well. Last week he started brilliantly and then faded out in the second half, tonight was the opposite.

I for one am really happy with the way he is going. Definitely done enough to retain his spot. Not sure anyone is expecting him to take 10 marks and kick 4 every game. He is doing well enough.

There's a bit of truth to that. He's almost playing the classical CHF role (marking target high in the 50, set-up merchant for the rest of the forwards), which is allowing Pav to sit deep and Mayne to get back to his mobile best.

I said something similar last week, but all Tabs needs to do now is start clunking a few more of those marking attempts. I've got no doubt that'll come the more game time he gets.

With Zarke now a legit contested marking threat up forward, and both Ballas and Walters appearing to break their early season rough patch, we all of a sudden look like a pretty concerning prospect for most back lines around the comp. And that's without mentioning Fyfe, Mundy, Neale and Barlow all drifting forward.

Six shots on goal in the last was about the only negative I can think of other than those mentioned.

And having said that, they came with as Ross mentioned 'the deck shuffled'. Players getting rest in game and played in positions not usually their first choice is a big deal. Means if people go down com finals time we should be better served.

And was anyone else OMG shocked that sandi got a free in a marking contest?

Not bad stats for the weakest link. Kangas best mids got 24.

Yeah, yet he also gave the ball away recklessly and fumbled an easy mark in transition that should have led to a score, then he threw himself into a tackle head first and we were don a player defensively. I dont get as high or as low as others with big wins or losses. I enjoyed last night, it was fun to watch and the majority of the team played really really well.

Suban just had a suban like game imo. Watch it again, does some things early that made me think - maybe tonight we get a game he really stamps himself on. Then applied himself through the next few quarters to some contests, but for our team now thats what every player does. And how friken great is it to say that?! And he turned the ball over, almost cost us a couple of goals and poor disposal cost us a couple of north shots on goals and cost us a couple of attacking opportunities.

I didn't mention it earlier but some of our kicking out of the backbone in the first quarter was horrendous also. It is one area of growing concern for mine, the missed twenty to twenty five meter pass over a team mates head from two of our very best - johnson and luke. How good was it to have Luke back again. Having said that about luke some of his kicking was great tonight and the rest of his work as usual was top notch. Different looking back line when he is there. Just class.

Despite all that, positives far far outweighed the negatives. I am mostly nit picking, as I believe Ross would be for areas of ongoing improvement.

Suban also does that thing where he screens for players like Fyfe and Hill. Its very basketball like. That head crunch tackle happened in front of me and was truely wacky.

Doesn´t anyone realise that one of Tabs main roles is to act as a DECOY and draw defenders away from Pav?? For NBA fans it is a bit like Kevin Love at the Cavs acting as a Stretch 3 to draw defenders away and allow Lebron to dominate.

Yet every time on this site posters blast Tabs for not kicking 4 and taking 10 marks. Thats not his role.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Tabs started to get a lot more of the ball once Pav was off (i.e. Tabs then assumed the focal point role).

Come on man. It was a great win and there's nothing to complain about but if we want Tabs you be the guy we think he can be then he needs to hold the marks he dropped last night. He would be disappointed with this as well.

Agree entirely. After his third smothered kick I was again left pondering how RTB sees his overall offering better than Muz's

Two most important players last night were Spurr and Ballas.

Spurr destroyed Lindsay keeping him to four touches and one goal (which was a jubious downfield free).

Ballas pressure and tackling was a feature and set up many of our goals.

Great to see Walters back in top form as well and the Pearces looking good.

Would still prefer Gu over Suban and possibly (Duff or Suts as I don't think we need both and they aren't adding a lot at the moment).

Tabs was Ok but does need to hold those marks and hold his body/contest better in one on ones.

Great win though.

And was anyone else OMG shocked that sandi got a free in a marking contest?

Yeah Johno said the defender didn't need to do that as Sandi never takes a mark anyway. I yelled at the TV 'not with 4 or 5 hanging off him, he can't' and then corrected myself, 'not with someone climbing him like he's a tree". Very unfair the treatment he gets. And I am sick of the commentators trotting out crap cuz they're too lazy to do their research.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back