Review Fremantle d Western Bulldogs by 13 pts

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Elliot Yeo's draft profile a few years ago said he modelled his game on Fyfe. I can sorta see it too obviously not as good. One of the better WCE players. I reckon he would fit into our best 22.

darkshines

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
+ves:
4 points
no injuries
still not playing our best footy and winning
Really pushed u sin the latter part of the game, and (a few) our leaders stood up

General Jonno - just controlled the backline.
Fyfe - Got off, and still shows he can turn a game on his own boot ( and drilled 2 x set shots! )
A.Pearce - Showed so much for his 2nd game.
Son-Son - Less ducking and playing for frees and well well well, played his best game for the year
Structure - worked.
Tabs - Didnt have a blinder, but presented and presented. He was unlucky, could have kicked the sealer for us if he got paid the free he was due.

-ves:
Balla - I know he does heaps around the ground, but is that enough when he is burning goal opportunities left right and centre? No he shouldn't be dropped, but he needs to find form
Umpiring - WTF

=ives
Suban. not sure. Up and Down. Hard nosed, but does he do enough?
Duff Man - again Sub? IMO, that was a fail on strategy. Glad Sherro got a full game though
Barlow - cant decide on him atm. Is he down of form, or just fallen down the midfield pecking order, so less opportunity for him to impact? Neale has gone past IMO. Barlow on equal footing with D.Pearce and C.Pearce?

I think we got a look at a possible back line, post Macca and Dawson, and TBH, i was somewhat impressed, but A.Pearce needs more opportunity to develop. He needs to play 5 -6+ more games this year. Hopefully we could run him against a team with a good Forward line, but not such a good Mid/Back, so his in-experience could be covered? Maybe WCE, but they are playing good footy, and we need to rest Macca for interstate trips. Maybe Richmond Rnd 17, GWS Rnd 18 (home), SKd Rd 19? All winnable games with Macca gone. A.Pearce might be torn a new one by Cameron but it would be a good exp, and someone he would need to play on in the post Macca world. GWS might be too bigger risk. and it depends on how we are sitting leading into the game.

And just a comment on the Bullies board. I woudn't post there out of risk of kicking when they are down, but seriously, they thought they got the worst of the umps and Fyfe is a dog? If Fyfe wanted to hurt the guy, he could have dropped the shoulder and buried him into the stands. I actually quite like the Bullies, but i could bring myself to contribute to that discussion. Arcassius clearly has a better temperament than i do. Maybe its the lack of sleep?

Yeah, not sure of the Ballas/Walters hate, thought it was definitely Walters best game for the year (no ducking), and *if* Ballas didn't torch his shots, played well considering he chased and tackled brilliantly.

One thing I've noticed, the chaos of the frantic last 10 minutes in many of our games seems to suit our forwards, able to get it in there and score when we've had to quite easily. Good sign I think - rather it this way than other way around. Should be good foundation for the frenzied pressure of finals.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
This might be the reason he had trouble. He may have been too tall for him. Yarran is also lightning quick

Summary
shane-yarran-5438.jpg
DOB: 2nd June 1989
Debut: 2014
Height: 186
Weight: 76
Number: 28

Barlow played a lot forward. If he is not injured/unwell then he has slipped down the pecking order. Nice to have him to go too in the last, but he stuffed up really
I think it's all part of the playing rest style this season. Keeping them match fit to throw against the big challenges.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
It wasn't such a challenge that we didn't continue experimenting with the forward line.
What did we do? Mayne went back for a bit, i guess, but Walters is earmarked to play more up the ground, so that is standard. Pav , Clarke and Tabs with balla crumbing. Barlow???? why

What did we do? Mayne went back for a bit, i guess, but Walters is earmarked to play more up the ground, so that is standard. Pav , Clarke and Tabs with balla crumbing. Barlow???? why
The starting positions for the smalls is much, much higher. Pav is much deeper. The resting mid is floating on half back.

lachie charm

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I went to the 2012 elimination final vs Geelong as a neutral - and left admiring your club. Have loved watching you guys ever since. Lots of likeable players. Fyfe, Pav, Sonny, Lachie Neale, Mundy, Barlow. Pretty much the whole team. I don't buy into the whole Ross Lyon footy is ugly. When you support a team like mine :( you learn to not take any wins for granted so who cares if you win ugly.

Watching Freo is a distraction from my basket case of a club. I might have to start hanging out over here :p Hope you guys win it all this year. Keep it up :thumbsu:

Last edited:

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
The starting positions for the smalls is much, much higher. Pav is much deeper. The resting mid is floating on half back.
As it probably has been all season or changes from game to game. I'm just intrigued you would think that WB were not a threat. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.
The question was why was Barlow played forward most of the game and you think he was rested because it was an easy game. It also may have been horses for courses or he may have fallen down the pecking order or he may not be 100% or he may be a bit slow against a team like the WB at Etihad or..... I have no idea.

As it probably has been all season or changes from game to game. I'm just intrigued you would think that WB were not a threat. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.
The question was why was Barlow played forward most of the game and you think he was rested because it was an easy game. It also may have been horses for courses or he may have fallen down the pecking order or he may not be 100% or he may be a bit slow against a team like the WB at Etihad or..... I have no idea.
The bulldogs were never going to threaten us in the middle, it was their half backs and forwards that do all the damage.

I definitely think the midfield have been taking turns having light games.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
The bulldogs were never going to threaten us in the middle, it was their half backs and forwards that do all the damage.

Interesting hear RTB talking about taking a "full season" approach to resting MJ mid game. When we consider Mundy going back for periods, our increased running loads, our fade outs etc it really paints a picture of RTB collaborating heavily with Webber and co. Strategy and fitness are intertwined this year more so than any season that I can remember.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
A hawks win keeps both sydney and hawthorn three back, which keeps them from resting their stars late since the difference between 2nd and 3rd/4th is a plane trip interstate. Unlike last year where it was Geelong/Hawks at the G or Hawks/Geelong at the G, no difference.

Of course you do realise that the AFL need a victorian team in the top four. They will require a vic team in the top two otherwise they will have no QF's in Melbourne. Such an outcome also makes it likely that both preliminary finals are played interstate. This will cause riots in the streets of Melbourne.
Cast your mind back to last year when the AFL needed another victorian team in the four; That was deemed to be Geelong.
So the fix was on to ensure Geelong finished top four which of course led to the Freo/Cats debacle at Kardinya and followed up the following week in the Cats / Carlton game.
Knowing the fix was in, Mick Malthouse's protest to the AFL was the massive margin blowout to Port Adelaide in the next game.

A cynic would suggest the AFL has started the manipulation of games already.
Under no circumstances will The AFL want two interstate teams finishing top two and another, Fifth.
Imagine the frightening prospect confronting Gillon.
1./ Fremantle
2./ Sydney
3./ Hawthorn
4./ North
5./ Port Adelaide
6./ Adelaide
7./ Collingwood
8./ West Coast

Now, if i am not mistaken, such a final eight ladder would result in no finals in Melbourne in week one of the finals series.

Let's suggest both Fremantle and Sydney win both QF's at home and susbsequently earn two preliminary finals at home.

Now, what tools does Gillon have at his disposal to prevent such a devastating scenario; First, umpires orchestarting results, Second, Match Review Panel scorching key players, Third, the rd23 floating fixture and fourth the scheduling of finals games to disadvantage particular teams.

It does not take much wild imaginings to realise that the AFL simply cannot allow this to occur and we may speculate as to when unusual results may start to happen, for whatever reason.
Can you think of any peculiar results lately ? Does the future of AFL in Queensland warrant remedial action which could also deliver the added bonus of handicapping another interstate team like say, Port Adelaide's chances of a home final in week one ?

Has there been any controversial umpiring inconsistencies resulting in free kick disparity ? Any flippant reports that may unsettle an interstate team ?

Things are looking ominous for the AFL and we the gullible fans could be forgiven for feeling like we are in some sort of psychedelic universe.

Of course there is always the possibility Leigh Fisher is plain incompetent and Brisbane are far better than Port Adelaide.

I am not a cynic though and this sporting body is a beacon of integrity, run professionally to the highest standards of moral and social values with a goal of delivering an enjoyment dividend to the shareholders of our National sport, us the fans.

May be, maybe not.

Last edited:

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Would you really want Barlow in the forward line, if their hb's were going to do all the damage.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Their half backs weren't intercepting marks like Johnson, they were winning the ground ball. That's got Barlow written all over it.
No it had pace out from half back written all over it. It was very risky to play a slow player like Barlow in that situation.

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Stars & Fulham-the other FFC
Anyone see the dogs banner yesterday?
It read, "Dockers are a bore and they are going down like the price of iron ore"

You can only shake your head; What is this amateur hour?! They've obviously allowed their 10 year old members to write their banners it appears

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
The 2004 ladder is pretty close to what you describe.
1- Port
2- Brisbane
3- St Kilda
4- Geelong
5- Melbourne
6- Sydney
7- West Coast
8- Essendon

Only the Melbourne game in Melbourne week 1.

What about we substitute GWS for Collingwood. GWS have a very soft draw and it fits the AFL business model to grow the game in NSW.
It is a distinct possibility and may result in only one final in Melbourne in week two which would be a lowly rated game. Kerry Stokes would not be amused.
I am not a cynic though.

Back