Remove this Banner Ad

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives

- Walters and Ballantyne teaming up and doing some damage together after a very long time
- Taberner really looking solid in forward, got involved all over the ground.
- Mzungu was massive, Mayne looked really confident and Crozier was exciting
- Return to form of Dawson and Silvagni playing his role well
- Mundy and Neale playing well in midfield, Ibbotson returned well.

Negatives

- Percentage irrelevant despite convincing win.
- Inaccuracy from a few our boys let us down.
- Midfield look exposed at times, De Boer and Suban were good but far from convincing in holding their spots.
- Potential injury concerns with Pav, Spurr and Mzungu (late).
- Some poor turnovers from Johnson (looking very proppy), D. Pearce and De Boer.

Get the feeling RTB figured even with a smashing it was unlikely percentage would save us should we lose next week. Feel like we went into damage control after half time to bank the win. I hope the heat won't hurt us too hard and we come out firing next week - Fyfe and Barlow are impossible to cover and our boys will need to play like we did in the first half today throughout the entire game.

Get the feeling RTB figured even with a smashing it was unlikely percentage would save us should we lose next week. Feel like we went into damage control after half time to bank the win. I hope the heat won't hurt us too hard and we come out firing next week - Fyfe and Barlow are impossible to cover and our boys will need to play like we did in the first half today throughout the entire game.
Yeah, I reckon Ross would have been going for the wins in these last two games rather than playing for percentages.

Positives
  • Ballas & Walters back together again!
  • Our young guns showing some really good and really consistent form. Tabs was a bit of a beast, and Crozier's so classy
  • Winning the clearances without our clearance kings
  • Guys playing out of position to cover Fyfe & Barlow, and doing a really good job. Shows some great versatility in the side.
Negatives
  • Didn't get the percentage boost we needed
  • We can't seem to put away teams in the 2nd half if we destroy them in the 1st half. Second time this year it's happened v Bris
  • Way too inaccurate in front of goal. 16 points isn't acceptable when a lot of them were set shots.
  • Brisbane had it way too easy in the mid. We showed a lack of speed & run at times, and especially in the 2nd half we had our mids flood the forward/back too often leaving Bris to get coast to coast (but thankfully not making it onto the scoreboard) way too often.

If we had beat Brissy by 100, we would only have a 15 point buffer to lose to Port. But if we had gone flat out in the context of a 6 v 8 day break for that buffer, not only would losing to Port be a certainty, we would probably lose to Port by way more than the buffer we built. I think that this result is to a certain extent influenced by the players managing what comes next week.

On the other hand, had we kicked truly in the first, we would probably have accomplished both.

It all comes down to next week.

Negatives - injury to Spurr. Can Clancee play small?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had beat Brissy by 100, we would only have a 15 point buffer to lose to Port. But if we had gone flat out in the context of a 6 v 8 day break for that buffer, not only would losing to Port be a certainty, we would probably lose to Port by way more than the buffer we built. I think that this result is to a certain extent influenced by the players managing what comes next week.

On the other hand, had we kicked truly in the first, we would probably have accomplished both.

It all comes down to next week.

Negatives - injury to Spurr. Can Clancee play small?

Do we know how bad, Mzungu finished the game looking in a bad way?

And to answer your question, Clancee can play small defender, but not against the really quick ones and he plays loose to say the least - so in short, no he wont be good cover, but he might have to do, especially if Mzungu is out.

Other negatives:

- MJ still looks like he's going at 60%.
- DPearce's in ability to pick up the ball first time, but on the positive side he really did work hard. His effort is tops and he slotted a nice goal. Always good to get a win on a milestone.

Positives:
- Tabs. Really liked his game, and not just things picked up in the stats, but his chase and effort, his screening etc. He's actually a pretty smart player when you take a good look at him.
- Mayne. Continuing to build into good form
- Mundy's first half was sensational. He knew he had to be king in the middle and he wore it well before playing a more controlled game (playing as a fwd for e.g.) in the later stages.

Last edited:
One more positive:

Hill's game. Unlike a few others, he was steady all day I thought, so he may not have stood out. He was silky, skilful and I love it now he has such confidence to attack the goals. He's hitting form and fitness at the right time.

+ Taberner just deciding, seemingly since the half-time break against the Hawks, he wants to be a player. He's running hard but where it counts is he's started doing what he never did before: putting in effort, running to contests, not bumbling around the ground, wanting to get touches, finding himself in packs and backing himself to win marks and be imposing. Repaid the faith last weekend; won himself some favouritism this one

+ Son Son and Ballas: Walters is the best small forward in the competition. He really off-sets Ballas too, they know each other well. The number of times they looked up and dinked a kick, right at that precise chest level, knowing the other would be there was something the forward line missed. Champs in their own rights, but lethal together. When was the last time a team had two forward pockets like that?

+ Silvagni. His opponents have done nothing. Comes in and does a job but I reckon he's a real confidence player. As soon as he gets one or two kicked on him or some umpiring goes against him, you can see in his face he's down and out. With a few wins, a few good games personally, and the fact he knows he's probably got a spot now for himself, I reckon he'll go up a bit more

+ The second stringers standing up: four big players out but they were barely missed. Taberner did well as a tall and the midfielders ran hard to kick some goals in the omission of Pav. Lukey is an absolute star, a real asset to the team and club, but Silvagni's covered him really well. The backline is looking cohesive; a real unit. Thought Neale did well and Mundy was the heart-beat in that midfield, Hill and Suban and Pearce stepping up a bit and making the absence of Barlow and Fyfe to be unremarkable

+ Just a workmanlike performance

Goal kicking. The first term especially, just some missed shots despite the rest of the ground just working like a machine. It's been a fault for a long time and it still is. Some players kicking worse than they really should. You can't do that in the finals

Not the greatest game from Johnson. Far from being a liability, I'm not saying that, but he's far from the form of last year. I'm not sure he deserved that head bandage either; I won't lie, I think he squibs a fair bit

Please have Suban around the 50 mark for longer

Injuries to Mzungu and Spurr are seriously tough to cover if they end up missing the Port game. Mzungu's someone you miss when he isn't there, Spurr's a very good small defender and has all the right things to shut down a few types of forward pockets. Who else can really play that spot?

Umpiring. Just s**t. Has been all season for every side

Positives
- Taberner, Crozier, Walters, Ballas, Pav, Mayne - This forward line is on par with any forward line in the comp including the Swans. Crozier and Taberner have taken another step and Walters is pure class.
- Dawson and Silvagni - Another great game, but will be tested more next week.
- Sounds like Spurr just has a tight quad, so should play next week (According to RTB )
- Ibbotson injury free and hopefully he starts next week.
- Suban 9 tackles, he is working very hard to hold his spot which is good.
Negatives
- 6 day break vs 8 day break.
- Johnson not at his best, but hopefully with another game he will be primed for the finals.
- Kicking accuracy.

I stayed around for the players to head onto the bus and Pav and Spurr looked fine. It was Ballas and Mayne that worried me the most looked absolutely spent and both had a little limp. Danyle looked a bit sick/groggy. Johnno copped a stray elbow at the end of the 1st that needed 4 stitches, but should be right for next week.

+
Big win, over by half time
Manic forward pressure in the first half
Walters and Ballantyne
Gu
Taberner

-
Thought the midfield got exposed a little too much for my liking. Quite a few easy clearances from the Lions in the second half and their players getting more possessions than a tycoon's wife.
Inaccuracy in front of goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dope. Well if he doesn't get the nod, I'll be pissed.

Who was our last nominee? Can't remember one for a damn long time now...

I honestly think Fyfe was our last nom... someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think Neale, Sutty, Croz, Sheridan ever got one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back