Fremantle vs. Essendon [Round 4] PS

Remove this Banner Ad

So when we are looking at a completely full list and seeing who are clear best 22 when fit:

Essendon: Goddard, Myers, Ryder, Bellchambers, Fletcher, Dempsey, Chapman.
Fremantle: Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, Mayne.

Then you go to the fringe/depth players who were injured:

Essendon: Pears, Kommer, Ambrose.
Freo: Bradley, Gumby, Ibbotson.

No doubt Essendon struggled with personnel ... but you are not making a fair comparison. Ibbotson was in AA form last year before injury, he is clearly best 22.

I would imagine that Sylvia and Morabito will be inclusions by the end of the year. They're just not ready at the moment. It is definitely a stretch to say they are important outs seeing as they basically haven't played under Lyon, but at the same time they could be important inclusions.

You should add Mundy as well, if you are going to include Goddard.

This makes it:
Fremantle: Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, Mayne, Mundy, Sylvia, Morabito

This includes 5 players from our top 10 in the 2013 B&F. Whereas Essendon were missing only one.

At the end of the day, the result is fairly meaningless considering both sides had significant outs, but I would look to the heat/travel/gastro as better excuses than the injury list.

Can't handled contested Football? so that's why they are +40 in this area for the season? Yesterday was the only game they had lost the contested possession count so far this season. You are so far off the mark here it's not funny, just making up s**t because you obviously have a disliking for Essendon.

Means nothing. You've only played one side that's given you more than a half of hard, contested football. Go and see what it means to deem a stat 'contested'.

Same old Essendon. Beat the hell out of inferior sides and look all fabulous doing it, can't beat good sides. Flat track bullies. I'm very, very surprised Matthew Lloyd got sucked in, I normally rate his opinion. HE is the one off the mark. I knew Freo would rip you a new one.

It can be a difference when one team trains in it regularly and another doesn't, add in an extra two days break and it definitely becomes a factor, not the reason the result was what it was though, Freo are clearly ahead of Essendon at the moment.

See, the game should have been played Saturday night to begin with - the heat is a non-issue, especially given our game was GC was cold, wet and miserable. You can't predict the weather, but at least you can make allowances for it by avoiding playing at certain times during certain months when it *may* be really hot

Suck it up. Both teams have injuries, Freo just wanted it more and worked a lot harder around the ground

Seeing the last few pages with excuses of injuries is laughable

Means nothing. You've only played one side that's given you more than a half of hard, contested football. Go and see what it means to deem a stat 'contested'.

Same old Essendon. Beat the hell out of inferior sides and look all fabulous doing it, can't beat good sides. Flat track bullies. I'm very, very surprised Matthew Lloyd got sucked in, I normally rate his opinion. HE is the one off the mark. I knew Freo would rip you a new one.
Actually usually we beat good teams and lose to crappy bottom 8 sides.

I'm very, very surprised Matthew Lloyd got sucked in, I normally rate his opinion.

I've agreed with every thing you've said up until this point…

Lloyd (who I also listen to, but only on non-Essendon issues) is an habitual over-rater of his club. Has been doing it for years. I still grin when I remember he picked them to beat us in the '11 EF…it was a slaughter.

Wears his heart on his sleeve, that's why I listen - no bullshit - but he is incapable of looking at Essendon with a clear head.

Hahah, wouldn't that be because Essendon was winning the contested ball on the other occasions? what a ridiculous statement

So we didn't beat 5 of the teams they played Finals last year?

No doubt Essendon struggled with personnel ... but you are not making a fair comparison. Ibbotson was in AA form last year before injury, he is clearly best 22.

I would imagine that Sylvia and Morabito will be inclusions by the end of the year. They're just not ready at the moment. It is definitely a stretch to say they are important outs seeing as they basically haven't played under Lyon, but at the same time they could be important inclusions.

You should add Mundy as well, if you are going to include Goddard.

This makes it:
Fremantle: Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, Mayne, Mundy, Sylvia, Morabito

This includes 5 players from our top 10 in the 2013 B&F. Whereas Essendon were missing only one.

At the end of the day, the result is fairly meaningless considering both sides had significant outs, but I would look to the heat/travel/gastro as better excuses than the injury list.

Well, I don't know about Sylvia or Morabito, and you did get half a game more out of Mundy than we did Goddard. But seeing how we agree on the basic discussion it's just nit-picking.

Factor in the ridiculous heat (why are they playing day games in WA this early in the season?)

Vlad has been advised about this matter many times.

The main problem is the TV schedule, we can't upset the viewing times for Victorians !!!!!.

I would love games early in the season at Subi, to be played under lights, rather than in the middle of a "cold" Perth winter. Would the head honcho's in Melbourne like a game starting at 8.30 ( Vic Time ) and finishing around 11.00 + ?.

Who gives a rats about the players and supporters at the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enough about the weather already, it was what, 32? Hardly 'ridiculous conditions'.

Melbourne's weather is crap, Perth's is glorious. Do you see us piss and moan when it's belting down with rain and freezing cold when we have to play in Melb? Both cities have footy teams, it is what it is. Sheesh...

Both teams had class players out.

Freo wanted it Way more than us and Kicked straight. Well played Freo.

I've agreed with every thing you've said up until this point…

Lloyd (who I also listen to, but only on non-Essendon issues) is an habitual over-rater of his club. Has been doing it for years. I still grin when I remember he picked them to beat us in the '11 EF…it was a slaughter.

Wears his heart on his sleeve, that's why I listen - no bullshit - but he is incapable of looking at Essendon with a clear head.

I agree, and that's basically an extension of what I mean in terms of Lloyd's opinion on Essendon beating Freo by 5 goals. He loses all logic and reason.

On Hird he's the same. Everyone in the football community other than Essendon fans share the same opinion on the topic. Hird hasn't even had ex players come out from years gone by to support him. Voss more or less voiced his disgust the other night too. Lloyd needs to get his head out of his arse on Essendon, then he'll be very good in the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back