Review Fremantle vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

A fit and in form Chris Mayne is still a very good footballer.

The way he stood up with Ballantyne not firing a shot, and Pav and Walters both off concussed, was great to see.

18 touches, 9 marks, 12 tackles, 4.1.

I thought it was the best game for a very long while from both Mayne and Suban.

Lachie Neale also showed that he can play anywhere on the ground. He spent the first half in defense then went and played as a forward crumber and was very good in both roles.

- Got through down 2 rotations
- Sloppy and too cute for periods - got better as they tired (I don't think we got smarter, just had less
contests)
- need to focus for next week, 6 day break and tougher opponent. We can't afford to dish the crap up again
- Plugger cried the whole game - much tears, very bitter.

Fyfe has holding the ball immunity.

You have to tackle him and spin him around about 3 times before the umpires blow the whistle.

Good to see you showing some fight but the umpires aren't doing you any favours.

The same thing happens to us against Freo, they get an armchair ride at Subiaco and when we play them in Melbourne too.

I don't know if this is our best performance of the year all things considered (the opposition etc). If "best performance" means biggest winning margin then for sure.

We were always going to win this game with our winning power.

Mayne was the biggest plus in this game besides the 4 points.

We do have some worries with Barlow: he seems out of form, maybe for the first time ever.

The good things is nowadays even if we have a few players out of form our aggregate performance is still powerful. You can't tag our entire midfield.

First impressions: four quarter effort and didn't it look good. :D
Ballantyne really needs game time to get back up to speed. Effort was there today but the class wasn't.
Decision making was a bit flaky for a while there but go better in the second half.
Melbourne are much improved as I expected but its still new territory for many of them and they're not consistent yet. Next time against them will be bloody hard.
5 wins to start the season is hard to take :p
Praying for Pav / Walters to get up next week and Ballas to put in a much better game

Edit: Melbourne based supporters STILL setting the standard for noise! Well done again, guys

Last edited:
Good win but still making some unnecessary dumb decisions here and there which will hurt us against good teams. Also, umpiring 1st half was just rediculous both ways. Obviously got a talking to at half time

Great to see midfield really complete performance.. Danyle Pearce really stepping up.. Some laughable moments but his kicking really has improved. Mayne confidence really is up there now. One thing for me is Taberner. Ripped jumper and a little bit aggro, starting to get involved more.

Fyfe got a nice rest in the last quarter. More fuel in the tank and less wear and tear on the rig for what will hopefully be a massive season for the standout best player in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Got through down 2 rotations
- Sloppy and too cute for periods - got better as they tired (I don't think we got smarter, just had less
contests)
- need to focus for next week, 6 day break and tougher opponent. We can't afford to dish the crap up again
- Plugger cried the whole game - much tears, very bitter.
Plugger 35 is a dickhead

First time we have played 4 quarters all season but I don't think it was our best. There are still too many poor disposals and the decision making at times can be a lot better. However, to put in that performance playing 2 1/2 quarters down 2 players was great to see.

I think the Gu should come in for the pig , De boer gave away numerous free kicks and at best was very average. Also think Sutcliffe is off the boil now for some time. Suban is actually getting better and starting to have a real influence in the game. Ballas was really out of sorts out there. Not sure what has happened to him this year? same but to a lesser extent to sunny, out key small forwards not really firing ,luckily the Mayne man has stepped it up. I think tabs is starting to grow. Sandy is not quite where we know he good be, Hendrix is starting to belong. Pharlap is back to his old days as is johno.

For all the constant BF whining about not finishing teams off, isn't it nice that we have the highest percentage of any team.

And guaranteed those serial whingers wont be praising the team in here.

5 zip, top %, beat Port and Geelong at their shithole and Sydney, what more can you ask for :thumbsu:

And guaranteed those serial whingers wont be praising the team in here.

5 zip, top %, beat Port and Geelong at their shithole and Sydney, what more can you ask for :thumbsu:

The Port game we started scrappy then ran over them. The Sydney game we started flawlessly then parked the car. Geelong aren't the same Geelong as before, but a good win nonetheless.

We're 5 zip, top%, with two tougher games to come than today - and if we dish up what we did today, we won't get away with it against a better opponent. Not to say we're doomed - just that there's enough there to work on to not be drinking the bathwater just yet ;)

Great win, liked Mayne, Barlow finding some form and Mundy and Fyfe continuing to dominate. Bit worried about our small forwards, either completely devoid of form or alternatively we've changed our forward structure from previous years which might well be the case. Also think Sutcliffe isn't great as a small defender but do love him streaming down the wing.

Got to say though while I sometimes can't see why Suban is picked if he continues to back up that performance he ain't gonna get replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back