Unofficial Preview Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Key Areas\Matchups

Remove this Banner Ad

We are glad too.I'm really interested to see how Port try and contain the Walters,ballas & crozier show.
Yes, Impey has a lot of weight on his shoulders for first year player playing 2nd time on ballas. Did well first game but big ask to back it up in Perth. Quite a few port supporters a little unsettled on his inclusion when Oshea in great form. But that is what we got him for, small forwards! Jonas to probably take Walters. Pittard does not have defensive strength. Jonas has been in our best 3 last 4 weeks. But mid year he had some shockers. But if he plays to his potential - Walters in for tough game. Not sure on Crozier.

Guess both defensive lines will need to be a little flexible. With Port running Wingard, Gray, Hartlett, Neade and Monfries as small forwards - they will also rotate into midfield.

Any forward that kicks 2-3 will be valuable for both teams as it wont be a shoot out....

Last edited:
I know we go OK in the wet and Port has more of an outside run game, but to me all the rain does is make it more of a lottery, and brings stupid umpiring decisions into it. I'd rather it dry to be honest.

I think Crozier will be the forgotten man up forward, if he is matched up on Pittard then their rebound will be non-existant. Hayden's defensive game is more damaging than his enormous talent.

Our run from defence doesn't rely on Pittard. Depending on who's playing back there you might see Hartlett, Polec and guys like Hombsch and Impey all provide great run.

I haven't been this pumped for a game since the first game at Adel oval. Should be an absolute beauty.

Our run from defence doesn't rely on Pittard. Depending on who's playing back there you might see Hartlett, Polec and guys like Hombsch and Impey all provide great run.

I haven't been this pumped for a game since the first game at Adel oval. Should be an absolute beauty.
Ports decision making under presure and at pace is what gives you an advantage over other teams and this could expose Fremantle. I'm hoping a wet surface may hamper this and our big bodies mids take control in congested situations.

Ports decision making under presure and at pace is what gives you an advantage over other teams and this could expose Fremantle. I'm hoping a wet surface may hamper this and our big bodies mids take control in congested situations.

Exactly what I'm worried about.

I know we go OK in the wet and Port has more of an outside run game, but to me all the rain does is make it more of a lottery, and brings stupid umpiring decisions into it. I'd rather it dry to be honest.

My concern is more how we'll pull up the week after a hard slog in the wet, could help us in the short term but cost us in the long term.

All things considered I'd prefer a dry track and back us in to beat them in a shootout.

Sydney's resting players this week (apparently that's ok this year after the media beating we took last year). Obviously not too fussed about the win. The winner of our game is going to have a hard time of it Wk1 finals in Sydney

Sydney's resting players this week (apparently that's ok this year after the media beating we took last year). Obviously not too fussed about the win. The winner of our game is going to have a hard time of it Wk1 finals in Sydney

IN
Sam Naismith, Sam Reid
OUT
Jeremy Laidler (Omitted), Mike Pyke (Illness)

JPK, Bird & McGlynn still out due to injuries, but they could have rested a lot more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Crozier will be the forgotten man up forward, if he is matched up on Pittard then their rebound will be non-existant. Hayden's defensive game is more damaging than his enormous talent.
Big call.

I still think his talent with the ball is more damaging than his defensive side. He did seem to do a very good job on birchall if he was matched up on him in the hawks game. Was hard to tell on tv how much time he spent matched up directly with him.

If he plays even a solid defensive game that'll be enough to keep his spot for him, because offensively he's terrific with ball in hand.

One week where I have NFI who the umpires are would be lovely.

Happened last week. Not surprisingly was the best umpiring I can remember for a long, long time.

Hopefully Margetts and Nicholls will behave this week. It'd be nice to have some of that home town umpiring other teams seem to get.

This rain we are having now is perfect for us,it'll really take the sting out of the track.I recall last week the commentators could not believe how hard AO was,good for fast runners.

Ok reading through all the freo v port threads. Ive come to the conclusion that Port have literally no weaknesses (except a bit or rain apparently). Who ever we tag they arent even the ones that do it all. Who ever gets shut down it doesnt even matter because they have someone else that will simply dominate. Port are seriously going to smash last years grand finalist on there own dung heap (except if it rains).

They barely got over the line against Gold Coast in the wet..

To be fair it was monsoonal and seriously dominated that game everywhere but the scoreboard. Doubled their i50's. Didn't finish off the good work though and it has been an issue in the back half of the year. Will need to take our chances against your blokes.

Plodder park :)

Mundy and Barlow have some serious size over Boak and Wingard/Gray
True, but Gray and Wingard are class (as are Mundy and Barlow) and they've probably got them covered in the agility and speed department. That said I'd rather have size in the wet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back