Autopsy Fremantle vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The season is full of positives, but I am comparing against the best. Hawthorn have crushed the majority of their opponents for three years. To beat them Freo need to develop similar firepower. Regulation wins against mediocrity is great, but I want to see a show of force - shock and awe for four quarters.
Acknowledged, but Hawthorn don't need to travel interstate a minimum of 10 times per year as we do. We need to be smart with how we use our resources. A shock and awe 100+ win would have been a nice boost to our reputation, but sometimes it's good to be underestimated

Everything I had to say about this game has been covered, but * me their games are dreadful. Zero atmosphere and the least knowledgeable crowd surely in the comp. Pretty ho-hum day out all things considered, bring on Sydney.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to get injured knowing how hard it is getting back into the squad. The boys clearly dropped off and we have been doing this since RTB came across.

If being cautious in a winning situation, with older players, after a six day break, before the swans is poor coaching then so be it.

All I know is we have shown we can run out games as well as anyone, we can attack, transition and defend well, our disposal is good, the oldies are holding up and the youth is looking good.

We are 3-0 and our injury list is tidy. If an inability to put teams to the sword means we can't win a premiership then I'm sorry but im gonna stick with our guys to get it done anyway

A top 2 finish is crucial to our premiership chances (best case resulting in no travel in September until a potential GF).

Next week we are playing a direct rival for a top 2 finish, off a 6 day break (one less than our oppo) and after a match played in moderate heat. Maximising our chances for next week is a higher priority than boosting percentage. We earnt the opportunity to do so by killing the contest within the first 45 minutes today.

That may partially explain the drop off in the second half.

What's everyones thoughts on the current Backline? Personally I like Johnson playing as a kpd and not just as the third man up. I don't know if we necessarily need Dawson or Sos to come back in unless we get Injuries back there.

What's everyones thoughts on the current Backline? Personally I like Johnson playing as a kpd and not just as the third man up. I don't know if we necessarily need Dawson or Sos to come back in unless we get Injuries back there.
Nah, A fit Johnno as the loose man is a real weapon. It's just a testament to him that he's also good in the shutdown role. The problem is we are working well as a unit back there, so who comes out for an extra tall?

Ibbotson does what he is elite at. Being the third man and getting the contested mark. Personally I like it, Duffield had the odd game today but perhaps one in Dawson/Silvagni and backline will be well set up. McPharlin will sit out a few games anyway so it ll be restructured a little. Be tested this week thats for sure. McPharlin on Buddy and can see MJ with support on Tippet but he ll most likely go in the ruck..

at one point your mob was 79 points up IIRC. Taking foot off the pedal is one thing, but being outscored 50 points by a team with no backline or midfield isnt great. Anyway well played in the first quarter.

The inherent danger in not putting opposition teams to the sword is that it makes other teams confident that they are never truly out of the game when they play us.

Many times in recent years we have led by 40-60 points and won by 20-30. Okay we were never in danger of losing those games, however, opposition teams are encouraged to believe that 30 point deficits are not insurmountable when they play Freo. A team falling 30 points behind Hawthorn or Sydney invariably gives up the ghost.

Football at the elite level is largely played between the ears, evidenced by the massive momentum swings which occur during many games. Once a team believes they can walk on water, they often do.

I understand the '6 day break coming up against a top side / no unnecessary injuries / yada, yada, yada' argument, but I would really like us to develop a killer instinct. Most elite sporting teams have one. We don't.

It's ok for Usain Bolt to 'pull up' 20m from the finish line and throw his hands in the air well before the line, he does it to intimidate his opponents, he has shown that he can back it up race after race, we haven't.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to get injured knowing how hard it is getting back into the squad. The boys clearly dropped off and we have been doing this since RTB came across.

Sorry to say but i think that's a pretty soft mentality if you're switching off to avoid injuries in round 3, especially if it's because you're not confident of getting back into the side. Round 20 I agree it'd be wise to play it safe but not round 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at one point your mob was 79 points up IIRC. Taking foot off the pedal is one thing, but being outscored 50 points by a team with no backline or midfield isnt great. Anyway well played in the first quarter.
We still got the 4 points. It is embarrassing that it took us 1 quarter of footy to beat your mob. At least Nic nat took a mark, what an overrated and overpaid chump he is. Enjoy bottom 4 flog.

Get off our board *stick.

You didn't have a midfield to begin with. Stop making excuses, it's not like you're any good at full strength. I hear you've got a new sponsor who's keen to come on board next year....

upload_2015-4-19_21-27-11.jpeg

Sorry to say but i think that's a pretty soft mentality if you're switching off to avoid injuries in round 3, especially if it's because you're not confident of getting back into the side. Round 20 I agree it'd be wise to play it safe but not round 3.
Not sure about soft. Just realistic. If RTB told you to tone it down and mentioned the Peel boys knocking on the door pre game. Your instincts would be to win and get through unscathed

We can fix that through review and discipline - hopefully turning it around by next week.

Your shitty midfield can be fixed through careful drafting and astute trading - hopefully you can turn it around in 6-7 years.

Really Macca just stick with the 3 flags debate, you only beat us because we're s**t and you should've won by more.....it's not the greatest comeback.

I have given up trying to read Ross Lyon.
We will never know for sure if it was suggested to the players to slip into conservation mode with a view to the Sydney game. I have seen Ross Lyon after matches where we are in no doubt that he is pissed off; not so today.

I have been confident we will beat Sydney next week and I still feel that way.
Buggared if I know if we pulled up today with Ross' blessings. He appears satisfied with our game.

It would explain why Matt Pavlich played well within himself. It could be said of Luke Mcpharlin too.
If we have alluded to managing these players this year , what better way to start than when a game is won and done ?
Ross has said in the past that the season is a marathon and not a sprint. Planning for the Sydney game may have started during today's game.

I think Ibbo has been brilliant as the third man up.

You're right. Back to the drawing board for us I guess. Our set up for you guys to stage the greatest comeback ever was a little far fetched. We will try to keep around 20 points next time, promise

4 points against Sydney is more important than any percentage.
Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Port were all 8 pointers at the start of the year. Assuming that all win the other games they should.

In my opinion anyway. Test full power early and coast.

Exactly , told my eagles supporting brother and my Sydney supporting friend at 1/2 time that we would be backing off saving ourselves for next week.

And that is exactly how it panned out, sign of a team on a mission ! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back