Toast Fremantle's 3rd Pick: Samuel Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

So the big question is why hasn't he been picked up until now?

Probably because clubs don't rate him, same clubs that didn't rate Barlow or Podsiadly. He is pick 56, he is a player that the coaches hope can fill a spot. I mean, he won't be a player you build a team around, if he works out the recruiters are geniuses, if he doesn't it was worth a shot.

Do we have a new Golden Fist? Sounds like a great player....he's been on our 'watch' list for a while apparently? Good or bad thing?....Good for peel at least :p

Probably because clubs don't rate him, same clubs that didn't rate Barlow or Podsiadly. He is pick 56, he is a player that the coaches hope can fill a spot. I mean, he won't be a player you build a team around, if he works out the recruiters are geniuses, if he doesn't it was worth a shot.

Not saying he's not worth a pick - we've been pretty successful with these sort of picks in the past (Spurr, Mzungu, even Broughton wasn't a bust by any stretch), but pretty much every mature ager has a pretty big deficiency in their game. To use your 2 examples - Barlow is as slow as treacle, and Pods has the turning circle of the QEII. And they're among the best. Our other pick Yarran - well it's pretty obvious why he wasn't picked up years ago.

Reading the reviews of the kid it talks as though he's the complete package.

I notice on those highlights him as a key forward for a few games. Maybe a swingman?

I was quite impressed by his video package. He was spoiling a lot early but we really good to see his speed in those. And then from there, we saw his clean hands, his attack on the ball and the man and decent foot skills for someone of his build. Looks to play with intensity and heart. That his half the trick in the AFL.

Yeah his highlights video was a pleasant surprise actually. I was expecting 6 minutes of spoiling but there was some really nice stuff on there.

I wonder what his kicking for goal is like, because his field kicking looked pretty fluent and he took some great grabs up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit of a left field pick as usual from us, but after watching the vfl grand final replay, i think he can do a solid job and wont hold back like some of the younger kids, was hoping kieran collins would slide down to us

Hopefully this pickup means Silvagni stays on the sidelines.

Looking at his highlight package, he didn't do anything that Silvagni hasn't done many, many times at WAFL level over the years so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet. Unless he improves in an AFL environment I think both he and SNOS are depth and will form a great defence together at Peel.

Looking at his highlight package, he didn't do anything that Silvagni hasn't done many, many times at WAFL level over the years so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet. Unless he improves in an AFL environment I think both he and SNOS are depth and will form a great defence together at Peel.
Problem is Silvagni is unreliable. Injured most of the time and then prone to bad brain fades when beaten.

If Collins stays uninjured and doesn't do his block on the occasions he gets beaten then we're up.

I thought his highlights were solid, gets the fist in there coming in from a fair way back to help out, but also showed when he backed himself he went for the strong contested marks, doesn't seem that comfortable yet with ball in hand though

Much younger them SOS so there's room for development and coverage while the club continues to look for longer term quality

The name escapes me but we went down this exact path a few years ago which failed but good to see we are still trying

I was watching the picks come up on the afl app - saw the 2 bulldog pics before us - I just knew they would take Collins - swore loudly when he was literally taken right before us. He would have been our FB solution for the next 10 years

Much younger them SOS so there's room for development and coverage while the club continues to look for longer term quality

The name escapes me but we went down this exact path a few years ago which failed but good to see we are still trying

I was watching the picks come up on the afl app - saw the 2 bulldog pics before us - I just knew they would take Collins - swore loudly when he was literally taken right before us. He would have been our FB solution for the next 10 years
You're thinking of Peter Faulks, or however you spell him.

Faulks is still playing good footy. An excellent VFL player but at the next level a depth back up. Silvagni has a bit more to offer so he was kept in that role.
I don't think we ever gave him a decent shot at it. He spent most of the time with us bulking up and then when he finally got a game, he had his face smashed in and was delisted the year after. Maybe the coaches didn't see enough in him but he was good in that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back