Fremantle's 4th Pick: Shane Yarran (Rest in Peace)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 2.82 seconds for the 20meters, Shane is arguably the fastest runner in the current Freo squad... this also puts him at one of the fastest in the comp and the only guy on our list who might conceivably be able to chase down rioli or jetta.

He will start, no question. Yarran, Bennell, hill sonny and pearce in the same side give us some jaw dropping speed... that's not including weller, langdon, sherro, croz, ballaz, grey and morra who also have some serious wheels. The amount of distance he can generate on his man in the forward fifty in that highlight reel is drool-worthy.

I was quite surprised the club mentioned his checkered past in its first write-up about him:
When Shane was younger he was a part of a group who committed a number of different crimes but has shown a great deal of remorse for his actions. He has a supportive partner and a newborn child and is doing his best to move on with his life.

They've pretty much just laid it out from the get-go and knowing it will be discussed have just been up front about it. I think it's pretty smart.

Get this s**t out of this thread. I want to see talks of him as a player and what he brings to the table for us not everyone speculating whether he's a criminal and the risk of drafting him.

Can you sound anymore stupid ?
As was pointed out, he was convicted - got it ?
If I were a speculating man I'd say you've never been the victim of assault before ..... Pretty horrible thing he did, I for one am definitely not going to gloss over it and 'stand guard' for his reputation now he wears purple.
Yeh, so he now plays AFL....good on him and hope it pushes him to strive for success in all parts of life - but it doesn't absolve him of his previous crimes.

Really impressive highlights package, plays tall for his size, clean hands and has obvious speed that will translate to AFL beautifully.
Not sure if He'll get a chance anytime soon in the 1's - but on the bright side, Peel just got a bit more competitive

Jeez I like the look of the way he plays, he's a great size - he reminds me a little of say a Jake Stringer or, to a lesser extent a Jack Darling type with his ability to take an overhead mark, just with a little more flair his size is deceiving in that he looks skinny but he plays much bigger than his weight suggests. I look forward to watching Bennell put them out in front of him & Sonny in 2016.

Last edited:
Can you sound anymore stupid ?
As was pointed out, he was convicted - got it ?
If I were a speculating man I'd say you've never been the victim of assault before ..... Pretty horrible thing he did, I for one am definitely not going to gloss over it and 'stand guard' for his reputation now he wears purple.
Yeh, so he now plays AFL....good on him and hope it pushes him to strive for success in all parts of life - but it doesn't absolve him of his previous crimes.

No one is glossing over it, however the link is not a factual or objective link to his crime .....it is a petition to basically say 'don't let him turn his life around and cancel his contract'.

He went to gaol as a 18 year old and has beaten drug/alcohol addiction ....served his time, has a kid and is learning a trade and obviously doing pretty well at football.

The petition is ridiculous .....anyone committing a violent crime can't be rehabilitated and must serve a life sentence in poverty. Yarran has a kid and a partner and it is a story of redemption.

It's a stupid thing to post in this thread which whilst should acknowledge his past, really does not need an emotional petition as the 3rd or 4th post up.

Since when has censorship been apart of this board?

It's not - so we can say it is a stupid thing to post.

Thanks for agreeing with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems as though we're expecting not to take a mark in the forward 50...Bennell, Walters, Ballaz, Yarren. Sounds good, lets hope it translates :D Could do worse than Yarren to be honest and it probably instantly adds some attacking power, which we need.

In his highlights vid it looks like he's built like a small forward but takes a good grab and has a decent kick.

Hopefully can put some pressure on Mayne's or Ballas spots.

Definitely not who I wanted but at least he knows where the goals are.

It seems as though we're expecting not to take a mark in the forward 50...Bennell, Walters, Ballaz, Yarren. Sounds good, lets hope it translates :D Could do worse than Yarren to be honest and it probably instantly adds some attacking power, which we need.

Let's send Tabs and Pavlich to play back.

I know it is a highlights package but it is a good one!

Let's hope he doesn't miss training, someone should let him know we have a Colin Sylvia basket, he doesn't want to end up in it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...-two-years-fremantle-secures-wafl-star-yarran

A decent write up on the AFL website re: yarran, with glowing endorsement from Jarrad Schofield:

"For someone like him who has only really been in the WAFL system for two years, to be already on an AFL list is a credit to the young man," Schofield told AFL.com.au.

"His maturity over the last couple of years has been second to none. He committed to the program.

"When you talk about maturity, he was able to play and commit to our football program, also hold down a job from Monday to Friday and became a father for the first time as well.

"He's got a very supportive partner and he's had a lot of support from our footy club. He's appreciated that and hasn't wanted to let anyone down, and that's why we've seen a rapid rise in his transformation as a person and as a footballer in the last couple of years."

Schofield said he could see Yarran succeeding at AFL level.

"I think with his leg speed and his ability to play as a tall or small, he's going to be a hard match-up (at AFL level). He can take a contested mark, he's very quick on the lead and he's good at ground level," he said.

Schofield added he was very confident that Yarran could cope with the demands of life as an AFL footballer.
I think I like that last part the most.

If you didn't look at his birth certificate or rap sheet you would be very impressed!

Come to think of it I did and I am still impressed.

If he takes the opportunity he will add speed and firepower up forward something we have been crying out for.

Redemption can be a wonderful motivator.

I know its a speculative pick but at his age I can only think they drafted him to play asap.
Can only hope this is another sign we are going to focus more on attack next year and play some less safe footy.
It would be exciting to have the likes of Yarran, Bennell lighting up Subi with flair and skill next year.

We need goal kickers up front - one thing Yarran can do is one grab and find the middle of the big sticks, plus he can kick em from the boundary and outside 50m.

I think we really just need to say **** it - let's rotate Yarran, Ballantyne, Walters, Bennell and Fyfe through there with Pav & Taberner and hope to God that they can kick 15 goals on a consistent basis.

Mayne would be wanting to find that goal kicking form real soon one would think.

From 2014.
"Last year down at South Mandurah was my first year of playing footy as an adult.

"Before that I spent some time in prison. That's what held me from playing footy.

"We played footy in there every weekend. All the boys in there love it, not having much else to do or going for you. Footy's always a good thing in there.

"I went to prison at a pretty young age. I was 18.

"I was sentenced to six years. I was in there for a fair bit and wasted a lot of my young age and talent by missing out on footy.

"But definitely just with the passion for footy, it changed my life to get out and want to play."

Like Krakouer before him, it sounds like he has matured and regrets the actions of 18 year old him. Good luck and I hope he takes his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back