Fremantle's 4th Pick: Shane Yarran (Rest in Peace)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got four or five years to help his family get set up. That's pretty good incentive not to stuff up. The knock on effect is the example to Bennell and the value he'll see in straightening out.

Bennell was like a little punk kid in comparison, Harley isnt going to be going to prison. Apples and Lettuce here folks...

Last edited:
He's got four or five years to help his family get set up. That's pretty good incentive not to stuff up. The knock on effect is the example to Bennell and the value he'll see in straightening out.

We also talked about the high percentage of indigenous players currently at FFC which he was super positive about.Spoke highly of son-son & jonno.

Still struggling with some of the descriptions of him suggesting he can play as a tall forward. Best case scenario for me is a Mayne replacement; a little down on the defensive quotient, a little higher on the goal kicking.

Still struggling with some of the descriptions of him suggesting he can play as a tall forward. Best case scenario for me is a Mayne replacement; a little down on the defensive quotient, a little higher on the goal kicking.
I think he can be our 'Gunston' if he gets fit enough.

He has been the Subiaco full forward for two years. Plays much taller than 186cm. Was actually the tall deep option for the WAFL state team.

He has been the Subiaco full forward for two years. Plays much taller than 186cm. Was actually the tall deep option for the WAFL state team.

Sounds good but is that something that would only work in the WAFL and not the AFL, he may be monstered in the AFL in a Key Forward position especially from a weight and fitness point of view.

Sounds good but is that something that would only work in the WAFL and not the AFL, he may be monstered in the AFL in a Key Forward position especially from a weight and fitness point of view.
I dont think anyone is saying that he will be the key big forward. Rather that he plays tall and could fill the third forward role. He plays taller than Mayne that is for sure.

Last edited:
Hagdorn bagged him again on PR this morning.

What did Mr Sorbent have to say ?.

Look, to me Yarran has been involved with some dubious activities and probably has left some people scarred, but he has done his time. We can't forget what he did, but we can give credit were credit is due. He has performed well on the field & off, whilst at Subi.

As said before, having the example of Sonson in his face every training day, should spur him.

7 in the one team is the record. We're probably a realistic chance to equal that record again this year.
Port Adelaide in 2015: Paddy Ryder, Chad Wingard, Jarman Impey, Karl Amon, Nathan Krakouer, Brendon Ah Chee and Jake Neade
Fremantle in 2003: Troy Cook, Jeff Farmer, Antoni Grover, Roger Hayden, Des Headland, Steven Koops and Dion Woods
Gee i had a lot of love for Dion Woods back in the day. Really thought he would make it. Anyone know how hes doing these days?

Hackdorn is literally the worst journo out there. Wouldn't take anything he says seriously. How someone with zero talent in journalism and who didn't play footy at AFL level is able to write for what's meant to be a serious newspaper about AFL is beyond me. Shane Yarran will show him up. If he doesn't it'd be the first thing Hackdorn has got anything right. Wish he'd do us all a favour and just shut up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarran appears to have the same crafty body positioning traits that Son son does in terms of protecting the ball drop location i've noticed. So a bigger and slightly more powerful version of Son son for that particular skill bodes well for some more marking potency in the forward line.
Both of these two had to learn to position Nic Nat aside to counter his reach while kicking the ball around growing up.

Shane's biggest challenge wont be off field or even on the training track, it will getting his around the different structures and set ups that occur in the AFL.
I like his skill set but unsure whether he will be able to handle the rolling defences of the top teams.
The other problem he will have is our atrocius ball movement at times, not easy being a forward at Freo.
Hopefully though some of the youngsters with decent kicks can come in and replace some of our foot soldiers.

Shane's biggest challenge wont be off field or even on the training track, it will getting his around the different structures and set ups that occur in the AFL.
I like his skill set but unsure whether he will be able to handle the rolling defences of the top teams.
The other problem he will have is our atrocius ball movement at times, not easy being a forward at Freo.
Hopefully though some of the youngsters with decent kicks can come in and replace some of our foot soldiers.
No different to any other draftee. Not sure why he's getting singled out TBH.

Yarran is a hell of a lot faster than Gunston.

But doesn't have the huge tank either. Or the height. If he was Gunston Mark II he would have gone at pick 5, not late 60's.

I reckon he'll be awesome. Leads well and can get separation on a defender across 5-10m. But thinking that it'll be like adding Gunston is delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back