Fremantles lack of scoring power

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle are currently ranked 9th for points scored, the last time they scored over 100 points was back in round 6. their highest goal scorer is 34 years of age and showing signs of really slowing down. the only dangerous option forward is michael walters, arguably the games best small fwd (probably edged out by eddie betts right now), but its too much for him to carry alone as demonstrated on the weekend... mayne wont be much help as he's more of a defensive medium tall that is yet to crack the 30 goal mark this season

so the question is how does ross lyon fix this? time is running out with only 3 games remaining before finals and a lack of option depth wise due to lack of game time afford to young players like weller, langdon etc. who could have provided them with another avenue to goal

Ross has a plan.
0118ecd1702a57a308bf646122a757c9

the last time they scored over 100 points was back in round 6.

They definitely scored over 100 points against us in Round 8.

They definitely scored over 100 points against us in Round 8.

my bad. slightly got the round wrong and was off by two games. but the point stands, its been a long time. when they were up and about they were hitting the score board, something that has slowly faded away

I personally don't see what the big deal is. If you are winning why does it matter? They have a defensive plan, we all know that. A wins a win.

I personally don't see what the big deal is. If you are winning why does it matter? They have a defensive plan, we all know that. A wins a win.
This. They'll be there on the last day in september and their game plan will give them every shot at winning it all.

It's a non-issue blown up by drongos on here wanting any excuse to sink the boots in.

I agree with this completely, but, the way their game plan holds up won't cut it against Hawthorn or West Coast. Both sides have a game plan that counters the slower Fremantle defensive approach. 'Clarko's cluster and the West Coast Web' is simply a rolling style from wing to wing that provides coverage against a slow style approach and forces the opposition to kick to the boundary. When this occurs, the hawks win a stoppage through their A grade midfield and the Eagles dominate through A grade rucks and hard running mids.

Now, if they don't go to the boundary they chip it about through the ground but eventually turn it over due to pressure from their opposition (I am talking about Hawthorn and West Coast here).

Kicking a low winning score is fine, and certainly no knocks on that, but your opponent needs to not be Hawthorn or West Coast!

only team we have not beaten this year is hawthorn and we have never beaten them in tasmania. having said that we were a better team 3 years ago . just a testament to Lyon that we are top of the ladder with this squad.

Fremantle are currently ranked 9th for points scored, the last time they scored over 100 points was back in round 6. their highest goal scorer is 34 years of age and showing signs of really slowing down. the only dangerous option forward is michael walters, arguably the games best small fwd (probably edged out by eddie betts right now), but its too much for him to carry alone as demonstrated on the weekend... mayne wont be much help as he's more of a defensive medium tall that is yet to crack the 30 goal mark this season

so the question is how does ross lyon fix this? time is running out with only 3 games remaining before finals and a lack of option depth wise due to lack of game time afford to young players like weller, langdon etc. who could have provided them with another avenue to goal

Did Ross run over your dog?

Obsessed much? Good grief.

I agree with this completely, but, the way their game plan holds up won't cut it against Hawthorn or West Coast. Both sides have a game plan that counters the slower Fremantle defensive approach. 'Clarko's cluster and the West Coast Web' is simply a rolling style from wing to wing that provides coverage against a slow style approach and forces the opposition to kick to the boundary. When this occurs, the hawks win a stoppage through their A grade midfield and the Eagles dominate through A grade rucks and hard running mids.

Now, if they don't go to the boundary they chip it about through the ground but eventually turn it over due to pressure from their opposition (I am talking about Hawthorn and West Coast here).

Kicking a low winning score is fine, and certainly no knocks on that, but your opponent needs to not be Hawthorn or West Coast!

freo by foot are not as skilled either compared to the hawks, wce, sydney and doggies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a valid point. Its why Sydney went out to get Buddy and Tippett. They know if you have a defensive gameplan you need really good forwards. I'm not sure Fremantle has that. Outside Pav they have no taller players who can threaten a big bag. Barring another tall player standing up as a forward I don't see them winning the premiership.

Some teams win by outscoring their opponents, we win by not letting our opponents outscore us

Like Quivorir said - A win is a win. Doesn't matter how you do it. You take the 4 points and move on

I think you'll find all teams win by outscoring their opponents..

I think its a valid point. Its why Sydney went out to get Buddy and Tippett. They know if you have a defensive gameplan you need really good forwards. I'm not sure Fremantle has that. Outside Pav they have no taller players who can threaten a big bag. Barring another tall player standing up as a forward I don't see them winning the premiership.
Agree. Not enough firepower and a far too defensive approach.

Some teams win by outscoring their opponents, we win by not letting our opponents outscore us

Like Quivorir said - A win is a win. Doesn't matter how you do it. You take the 4 points and move on

You failed to do that against the Eagles and the Hawks

Worst minor premiers EVER!

You failed to do that against the Eagles and the Hawks

Worst minor premiers EVER!
Not even that yet. Still a chance of finishing 3rd or even 5th if the Dees pull an upset.

Lyon knows how to make a bunch of plodders not throw away games to GWS and Essendon, like Hawthorn did this year. But he doesn't know how to craft a side into being the best in the comp. So we get our grinding wins against the minnows each week, but when it comes to the big boys, we fall short.

He makes sides "good average". Small peaks, and small troughs. Gets you a 70% win rate because half the comp is rubbish, and another quarter is inconsistent. But those two-three other elite teams keep you from winning the ultimate.

I think you'll find all teams win by outscoring their opponents..

And you can also win by not letting your opponents outscore you...

There's defense where you rely on your ability to keep your opponent from outscoring you and there's attack where you rely on your ability to outscore them. Both result in a win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back