Fremantles next Captain

Who should be Freo's next captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Suban or DeBoer. Two guys that put in 100% effort and their hearts on the line.

Ie: Maxwell/Newman.

Either DeBoer-Suban or Fyfe. The comparisons between Maxwell and DeBoer are numerous but the determination to achieve are clear for the world to see. Intelligent, driven to improve and a true leader. DeBoer is my Number 1.

The drive in this young man to achieve will be a boom for Fremantle for the next 10 years!:D:thumbsu:

3. Sandi
2. Barlow
1. Daylight. It will be a few years before our next generation is at that level. Once the older boys are out, It'd be either Fyfe or Suban (needs a fair go with injuries to reach the next level though).

FFS. At this stage in voting Pav sits equal 5th with Subes behind Fyfe, DeBoer, Barlow and Mundy...

I know he had a poor game last week and has been labouring in the midfield lately, but come on people.

If the poll was who would be our next captain AFTER Pav retires, then sure no worries, but to only be sitting 5th in a poll where voting for Pav is still an option shocks me.

If the poll was who would be our next captain AFTER Pav retires, then sure no worries, but to only be sitting 5th in a poll where voting for Pav is still an option shocks me.

My take on it is we aren't talking who will be captain next year, because that will obviously be Pav.

So basically we're debating Pav having the job till he retires or someone else taking the pressure off him in his twilight years so he can concentrate on his own game. Considering his form lately I think it might be best for both him and the club if the latter were to happen somewhere down the track.

If nothing else it would make it more of a seamless transition if one of the young guns were to be given the job for a year or so while Pav was still around for guidance.

Yeah, I guess so esti. In such a circumstance, I would vote Sandi. IMHO Fyfe, DeBoer, Subes are all too young until 2013 at the very earliest.

The thing is, when any team struggles the natural reaction is to question the leadership (in our case Pav & senior players) and the management (coach & board). When things inevitably ;) turn around, the leadership and the management of the club will appear much better.

Belly handed over the captaincy in his latter years and Pav should do the same. Pav will always be a Freo champ but he almost became captain by default because he was basically our only great player. Now we have many other options and players with much better leadership who are more inspirational.

Fyfe is definitlely best option just a shame he is too young. But he's got gots, instincts and great skills and he kicks goals that are really beyoung his ability at the moment in times when we need them.

Mundy should also be right at the top, leads by example and is playing great footy, bar the last couple of games.

Also depends on how Barlow comes back aswell.

In a couple of years time when De Boer is shocking the competition he will be a good option aswell.

Tough call when I'm making my decision based on what I see from the stands, but you'd have to say that Barlow is the standout considering where he's come from, his influence on the ground and how he is in front of the media.

Mundy is probably the next favourite

Wow only 5 votes for Sandi . He's the man and is already the captain if nobody had noticed. He doesn't have to open his mouth to communicate. Do you want to hear some pre-game talk up or see Steve Johnson trying and failing to not show his suffering after being poleaxed into the dirt. Like Morabito's goal last year- a 7 foot guy putting in the long one's and taking out that poor Hawk. That's a ****ing Captain.

Pav is a great player and the most talented to have played for freo . There is too much on his shoulders though. Give him a break ,he could do with it even though he is passionate about the club and proud. It would release him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon its out of Mundy and Barlow - probably Mundy start of 2015. Then Fyfe 2 years later.

Mayne for me! Fyfe is awesome, but I think his awesomeness needs to be given space to grow before he gets the burden of responsibility of Captainship.

Yeah I definitely agree on Mayne. Would love to see Ballas get it though just to see the general reaction ;)

Don't overwhelm Fyfe with responsibility. I love the guy, obviously, but he doesn't seem to have the naturally intuitive nous and leadership. I don't know. He's articulate and can lead by example on the field, but he's not a captain for me.

Chris Mayne is, though. You feel like he'd never want to play for anyone else. I'd be intrigued to see his GPS data because I don't think too many forwards run as high and hard as he does. He'd probably be a few rungs below Nick Riewoldt, but he still flogs himself to get to every contest and do everything he can once he gets there. He'll be the next, I reckon – young enough to keep the mantle, old enough to deserve it. I love the bloke.

Don't overwhelm Fyfe with responsibility. I love the guy, obviously, but he doesn't seem to have the naturally intuitive nous and leadership. I don't know. He's articulate and can lead by example on the field, but he's not a captain for me.

Chris Mayne is, though. You feel like he'd never want to play for anyone else. I'd be intrigued to see his GPS data because I don't think too many forwards run as high and hard as he does. He'd probably be a few rungs below Nick Riewoldt, but he still flogs himself to get to every contest and do everything he can once he gets there. He'll be the next, I reckon – young enough to keep the mantle, old enough to deserve it. I love the bloke.
And I think Mayne sets an excellent example for the other players. Even look at son son, he runs so deep in the backline now too, it excellent. He really optimises what we want everyone in the team doing: team first football.

I've gone with Fyfe. If we were in a grand Final and needed the captain to stand up and lift us over the line, my money would be on Fyfe to do it, as E Shed said, Hird Mk II.

Back