MVP Freo's BF MVP Voting for 2015 - General Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
The real stuff is nearly upon us and I just thought we'd have discussion about BF Docker's thread voting.

Due to being flat out busy, I've been a very infrequent poster during the off-season, but I've visited frequently and I just want to say a big thanks for all those training watchers and keen posters who have helped keep us all informed. I'm going to have to remain pretty disciplined and limit my postings due to uni/work commitments, but I'm happy to do the voting again as I've done for the past couple of years.

That said, I just want to get some feedback on how (or if?) we go about designating the ‘Best Young Bloke' which is always one of those tricky things. If we use last year's rules, which were only a slight tweak of the year before, it goes like this:

A 'young player' for voting purposes will be any player who is either a.) 21 years or less at the start of 2014 AND has played less than 10 AFL games or b.) is 25 years or less at the start of the 2014 and has yet to play an AFL game.

BYB (Best Young Bloke)

With the above in mind, the list of players eligible (sorted by age), including rookie listed (R), will be:

Deluca, Josh
Blakely, Connor
Weller, Lachlan
Langdon, Ed
Grey, Brady
Pearce, Alex
Vandeleur, Thomas (R)
Apeness, Michael
Hughes, Ethan (R)
Moller, Craig (R)
Smith, Tanner (R)
Ballard, Jacob (R)
Duffy, Max
Hurley, Sean (R)

If people are happy with that, we'll go with that. As last year, if a player gets a game, and you think their game was worth it, then nominate them for a vote.

As for the regular voting, I figured we'll just go with what we've done recently. It's not perfect, but it works.

General Voting

BF posters post their votes for players after the game. Posters can vote within the following boundaries:
No more than 15 votes can be given by any one poster, typically allocated 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - but any other combination is allowed including votes totalling less than 15 votes.
  • No player can get more than 5 votes in a single game
  • Fractions aren't allowed and are rounded up as long as the above rules aren't broken, in which case they are ignored
  • Anybody who lists ambiguous votes such as "1 vote for player x/player y/player z" have their votes included in that order as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Any blatant donkey votes are ignored (eg. votes for opposition players), but legitimate votes amongst them are included as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Other than that, I just use the educated guess technique
A few days after the game, and with some notice, I'll tally the votes and allocate scores of 7-1. In addition, any player that gets 2% of the total vote (min 5 votes) also gets a score of 1 (see this post for details). As with last year I'll also tally total votes and other bits and pieces and post running totals in a dedicated thread.

So that's it. Any comments, suggestions, corrections etc. welcomed.

Last edited:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The general voting last season seemed to work fine so I'd say keep the same system in place.

However, I would be up for slightly changing the BYB criteria. I'd increase it to 21 years old and <25 games at the start of the 2015 season to make Tabs (21yo, 13 games), Sheridan (21yo, 19 games) and Crozier (21o, 23 games) eligible. Otherwise, by just looking at that list Blakely will be a runaway winner as none of the others will get anywhere near as much game time going on what we have seen.

Last edited:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The general voting last season seemed to work fine so I'd say keep the same system in place.

However, I would be up for slightly changing the BYB criteria. I'd increase it to 21 years old and <25 games at the start of the 2015 season to make Tabs (21yo, 13 games), Sheridan (21yo, 19 games) and Crozier (21o, 23 games) eligible. Otherwise, by just looking at that list Blakely will be a runaway winner as none of the others will get anywhere near as much game time going on what we have seen.

Yeah, like your thinking. As I said, it's always one of those areas that is quite arbitrary.

The sense I've got through the years is that people don't really count people like Croz and Tabs as Young Blokes ... it's a bit like a rookie award I suppose (think Rookie of the Year, Rising Star award) and those guys are all but established players really. Though it does make for a very limited category when you're in a position like us (established group playing finals), it's probably fair enough.

If I hear enough calls to change it I will, otherwise I'll leave it as it has been for a while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back