Freo's trading and drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not someone who subscribes to the nuff nuff mentality of 'support means blind support for your team.' I think fans should be angry at losses and be vocal about their disappointment in players, coaches, management, and decisions. No good will ever come from idly sitting by and accepting all club decision as positive, or excusing poor performances or inadequate coaches.

I sit here as a Fremantle supporter after two weeks of trading. This comes after a few years of consistent top four finishes, one lost Grand Final, a straight-sets exit in 2014, and a pretty flat 2015 campaign. The ultimate insult comes via the Eagles – the cross-town rivals with a lesser coach, who only a few years ago were spooners, making the Granny this year.

The most obvious issue for anyone with eyes and Channel 7 is our forward line. It's too small. There is one key forward, Pav, who has been an undeniable stalwart and hero for the club. At 33, he's the sole target, and cops double teams and constant attention, despite carrying s**t-to-average teams for 15 seasons.

This is no new revelation. Pavlich isn't jumped from age 25 to 30 in one year. Freo's poor scoring hasn't existed for one year.

So, why, in 2015 does Fremantle go after an in-contract player belonging to a club who staunchly say no to him leaving?

Why would a recruitment team, in their last year of premiership mode, go after a single target in their biggest problem area?

Why has Bond, or as Dockers sycophants call him, "Bondy," pulled absolutely 0 key forwards in the last five years? There's been Buddy, Cloke, Jack Riewoldt, probably Cameron, for a little while Dixon. These guys have all been offered the luuudicrous rarity of a premiership contender and at least a million bucks a season. Yet no one has come and no one has even looked like coming. There's clearly a negative perception regarding Freo, and its lack of success is paramount in that, and the club has no one to blame.

But ******* seriously... why the * did this club spend its energy and man power going after a player who was never going to get to leave?! How is this acceptable? There were lesser options in Black from North and Casboult from Carlton. They weren't even touched on.

In any other job, if you fail to succeed in your one target area, you are sacked.

How can Bond and Fremantle co-exist for so long?

It's not just that but its trading... Colin ******* Sylvia. No one else. It misses out on Yeo and Jetta to the Eagles – even WA boys don't like Fremantle.

What is the issue with Freo? Will anything ever aide them in being able to pull Victorians? Is the club too arrogant and happy with its membership numbers and Fyfe Brownlows to look at itself and where it stands? Basically – has their ever been a shitter set of recruiters at a 'successful' club?

For starters, you're a flog.

Secondly, I suspect it's the gameplan that isn't that attractive to key power forwards.

But saying 'successful' as if we have no claim to the word, cast your eyes back just a decade and the growth has been phenomenal. No doubt due to the presence of Lyon. Not to mention you tried to pass off Fyfe's achievements as unimportant. Get real mate.

A couple of fair points but we unfortunately can't trade players who don't want to leave.

And that includes Victorians on the fringes like Silvagni, Clarke and Crozier or young interstaters like Weller and Langdon.

Black has been hopeless since his injury (ask North fans) and as if Carlton were going to give up Casboult. They have less key forwards than us.

I mean, Freo board.

Why wouldn't Carlton entertain caboult? They've traded all there other forwards....what's one more?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn't Carlton entertain caboult? They've traded all there other forwards....what's one more?
Exactly. We only got linked to him due to lazy Journo's thinking that we need forwards and Carlton like selling forwards = story.

No picks were floated that I saw but I'm sure it would have been 2 x 1st rounders that got knocked back for McCarthy.

Because other clubs also need key forwards, so they aren't going to let them leave easily?

Should have got Schulz imo. Don't know exactly what happened there but Freo being unable to get him is probably more indicative of any underlying problems than not getting Riewoldt/Cameron/McCarthy.

Schulz for 2016 and 2017, McCarthy for 2018 onwards, meanwhile try to find a Taberner/Apeness to improve to have a good duo up forward would have been reasonable.

I think part of the problem is no one wants to leave or they are so crap we can't trade them

There is literally no one that wants out who we could use in a trade. This means we have **** all trade currency

I am extremely happy with our player retention rate and for the most part the club has gone after whoever is available and quality

Imagine being an interstate tall forward being chased by Freo.

If you land there, the weight and expectations of the team and 40K+ fans are on your shoulders. You're seen as "the final piece of the premiership puzzle" and if Freo don't win the big one, you know damn right you'll be to blame regardless of supply issues, no support, downturn in defense etc. It all rests on you.

* that.

Dockers fans also don't have a great track record of welcoming players traded in to the side.

Not that hard to see why it's tough to get people to come over.

Not sure it's fair to judge too harshly as it's hard to get good KPF. if you don't finish low to draft highly rate young ones then good luck.

Good key forwards are hard to come by. Because they are hard to come by clubs who have them are reluctant to trade them.

In regards to Casaboult and Black Freo probably also realized that mediocre key forwards are not what they need - they need good ones.

I don't recall many very good key forwards being traded by their clubs without a request from the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back