Freo's trading and drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

without a doubt

mayne is a defencive fwd, who found the goals when freos manic pressure was in play. he's mcqualter MK2. pressure drops off and so does the goals. he just isnt creative enough as a footballer to be a medium tall. yarran is.
Yeah exactly, hasn't really fired a shot for a year or two and his kicking accuracy has been average too. I like the selection from freo, had a crack at a player with some x-factor. I take my hat off to Yarren he made mistakes in life and he's truly working hard to be a better person and he's getting some reward with being drafted.

Why? Why would you draft a big bloke just for the sake of drafting one?

If your tossing up between a couple of guys and one of them is a big then yes, you probably take the big when you have our current list. However you would be stupid just to take the next best big available when you may have 5-10 other guys rated ahead of him.

With respect, all clubs take players 5-10 places earlier if that player suits a need or fills a gap.

Believe or not, even Freo don't always draft as their next pick what they consider to be the next best available player (although evidence may indicate otherwise).

With respect, all clubs take players 5-10 places earlier if that player suits a need or fills a gap.

Believe or not, even Freo don't always draft as their next pick what they consider to be the next best available player (although evidence may indicate otherwise).

I'm not so sure that's correct, certainly not at the top of the draft that's for sure.

I'm sure some do draft for needs rather then just taking BPA, some also tend to lean locally early on rather then take interstate talent. I can just about guarantee you that not ALL clubs reach for guys that don't rate just because they are tall.

You also said Weller was guaranteed not to sign another contract and would be at St Kilda.

Why should anyone believe anything you say?

:D

then don't. you will find out soon enough. if you think he plays like josh hill then that's great. maybe ask you board if they think the same. someones bound to have watched him

Explain to me why the club hasn't managed to snare a key forward/backman of any quality over the passed 2 years when the club is fully aware that their bookends were near the end of their tenure?

Alex Pearce says 'hi'.

*fully aware he was drafted on 21 November 2013 which is probably why you phrased your statement the way you did.

:D

then don't. you will find out soon enough. if you think he plays like josh hill then that's great. maybe ask you board if they think the same. someones bound to have watched him

He may well be. I'm simply pointing out that your posting history where you claim things as "fact" can't be trusted.

Yarran could play nothing like Josh Hill but because you say he will be good, he is probably going to spud it up.

You're not Kim Hackdorn are you?

Alex Pearce says 'hi'.

*fully aware he was drafted on 21 November 2013 which is probably why you phrased your statement the way you did.

Alex Pearce is the saving grace eh?

Fremantle have certainly thought about their list structure, drafted accordingly and now boast Matt Taberner and a beaten down Pavlich as tall targets for one of the best midfields in the league.

Very well run club....

i've watched just about every game of his over the last two years. he is nothing like josh hill

He has more pace than Hill but will have to play a similar role to Hill at the next level - unless he has a 50 cleared for him, what he has done at Subi - the most dominant side in the WAFL over the last 3 year - will not translate to AFL level.

Had the 50 to himself with a mountain of supply, that isn't going to happen in the big time.

Still don't quite understand why an ND pick was used on a bloke turning 27 next year....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said:

Explain to me why the club hasn't managed to snare a key forward/backman of any quality over the passed 2 years

I say: it's clear to anyone with one or more eyes and half a brain that Alex Pearce is a key forward/backman of some quality that arrived at the club two years and four days ago.

Then you say blah blah blah, as per below:

Alex Pearce is the saving grace eh?

Fremantle have certainly thought about their list structure, drafted accordingly and now boast Matt Taberner and a beaten down Pavlich as tall targets for one of the best midfields in the league.

Very well run club....

Top work.

You said:

I say: it's clear to anyone with one or more eyes and half a brain that Alex Pearce is a key forward/backman of some quality that arrived at the club two years and four days ago.

Then you say blah blah blah, as per below:

Top work.

Well, you're suggesting Alex Pearce is quality despite the lad being dropped for Matt Taberner - forgive me, but I set the bar a touch higher.

Fremantle have amassed one of the most potent midfields the game has seen and yet has squandered it's opportunity for the first flag by failing on list management & perhaps the bigger issue - poor coaching.

Well, you're suggesting Alex Pearce is quality despite the lad being dropped for Matt Taberner - forgive me, but I set the bar a touch higher.

Fremantle have amassed one of the most potent midfields the game has seen and yet has squandered it's opportunity for the first flag by failing on list management & perhaps the bigger issue - poor coaching.

Dropped like a Jack Darling chest mark on Grand Final day. He's only 20, I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Not sure I'd say the same about Darling - you don't forget nightmares like that in a hurry.

A 200cm player spending time in the state leagues in his second season is hardly an indictment on him.

Dropped like a Jack Darling chest mark on Grand Final day. He's only 20, I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Not sure I'd say the same about Darling - you don't forget nightmares like that in a hurry.

Kind of like how Nat Fyfe never recovered right?

By all means, flip the argument to and deflect by attacking West Coast - given you really have nothing to fall back on by way of pointing to the cupboard, it's understandable.

A 200cm player spending time in the state leagues in his second season is hardly an indictment on him.

Completely agree - but he's coming from a long way back & I think Freo have failed miserably when it comes to balancing a list capable of impacting in September.

Are you comparing Jack Darling to Nat Fyfe? Wow.

Yeah, I am - you See Nat Fyfe cost his side a flag in the first quarter when he put two very gettable set shots out on the full.

Now, I didn't put a line through him for a couple of moments of weakness in his first Grand Final because that would be stupid, see where I am going with this?

But good diversion, I'm sure the reality of the situation is something you hope to shy away from as the season wins pile up - knowing full well the side isn't capable of inflicting enough damage in September.

Kind of like how Nat Fyfe never recovered right?
Fyfe fluffed his set shots but he got them back into the game when Hawthorn could have just waltzed away after half time. However Darling will be fine next season onward. People seem to forget he had no preseason this year. His last couple of weeks were very average because of this.

you See Nat Fyfe cost his side a flag in the first quarter when he put two very gettable set shots out on the full.

knowing full well the side isn't capable of inflicting enough damage in September.

Somehow you manage to contradict yourself in one post - that's a top effort!

So Fyfe costs Freo a flag by missing a couple of shots in the first, and yet Freo are incapable of inflicting enough damage in September?

A couple of straight kicks away on the one hand, but never good enough to win on the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back