Friday night footy - blockbusters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alberton

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just an observation.

As a non-Victorian who doesn't bet on footy and doesn't do dreamteam etc anymore, I watch footy for the blockbusters, the big close games.

I've noticed that I have not had interest in a Friday night game so far this year, and having a quick look at the next few weeks its again not interesting me.

Are Friday games ok for you?

No, this schedule is a knee-jerk reaction to the AFL's declining numbers in Victoria last year.

I only had last week's game on in the background but I don't intend to even turn on for games with 1 or 2 dud teams any longer.

Not fussed about friday night matches as I'm usually not home to watch them, but can understand why people complain about clubs like Carlton getting 6 or 7 a year. Friday night games are generally overhyped. With so many ordinary teams in the league, how many genuine "blockbusters" are there on any given around? 1 or 2 tops. Cant get them all on a friday night, especially when friday games rarely involve non victorian sides.

Friday night games are more than likely the most viewed game for the week. I can agree last Friday may not have been great to watch for some, though Collingwood games will always draw an audience and isn't it fair that St Kilda's sponsors get a run once in a while.
If we don't give everyone a crack, the gap between the have and the have not's will just get bigger.

I guess what frustrates me is that 4 to 6 of this weeks games sound interesting, but none of them are the Friday night game.

I'm an old fart, I'd like to put my feet up on Friday night and watch a game that interests me.

What cheeses me off about this schedule from a biased point of view is that for years North were told "you'll get Friday night games when you earn them." So last year we got 5 and made the Preliminary Final, but this year we get only 2 whilst WCE/Carl, Coll/StK and Melb/Rich have somehow "earned" them. :confused: Other than that I don't really care. It's Friday night, footy's on the telly and I don't have to work tomorrow...can't complain too much.

This weekends is a bit different though as Melbourne have pushed to play Richmond on ANZAC eve which is not a bad idea for a new blockbuster time slot and it just happens this year that it is on a Friday.

Everyone complains that the lesser supported clubs deserve a chance at the good time slots and when it happens everyone complains, of course to make these games draw a crowd it tends to require Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn or Essendon to be involved as well.

Friday night games are more than likely the most viewed game for the week. I can agree last Friday may not have been great to watch for some, though Collingwood games will always draw an audience and isn't it fair that St Kilda's sponsors get a run once in a while.
If we don't give everyone a crack, the gap between the have and the have not's will just get bigger.

It is the most viewed partly because it is the only time slot that goes live to all states.

Is that right? Only in some markets? Just referring to Vic?

I don't care when the footy is played. I don't see why Friday night is any better for blockbusters. Although, it's ******* stupid putting on multiple blockbusters at the same time, like Port vs Hawks and Freo vs Sydney.

Arent blockbusters more related to crowd numbers? Fri night about TV viewers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually like to see a variety of teams on the friday night as I mostly always watch the friday night game, so it's nice to see teams like Melb get a gig as i wouldnt usually get to see a Dee's game on the weekend.

Also, who said only better teams put on better games? Sure the skills might not be awesome this friday night, but if the dees come to play we're in for a cracker, which is what counts.

Friday night games have been very boring lately and it doesn't get any better. I'm actually alright with Essendon playing only 2 Friday Nights this year (both against North), but only if it is to give way for teams like Hawthorn, Port, Fremantle and Sydney to play against each other. Instead, we have Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond hogging it, with the first two likely to have very ordinary years. What were they thinking when scheduling Carlton to play so many Friday/Thursday night games? Season is already shot for them. It's like watching a man with broken legs crawl to the finish line.

I actually don't mind the Richmond vs Melbourne game to be honest. A team on the rise vs a mid-table team can produce a great spectacle. Plus, Melbourne have only 1 Friday night. I feel like Bulldogs deserve at least 1 as well. Maybe against Collingwood or Essendon to give them a chance of winning the game as opposed to Hawthorn or Sydney.

This weekends is a bit different though as Melbourne have pushed to play Richmond on ANZAC eve which is not a bad idea for a new blockbuster time slot and it just happens this year that it is on a Friday.

Everyone complains that the lesser supported clubs deserve a chance at the good time slots and when it happens everyone complains, of course to make these games draw a crowd it tends to require Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn or Essendon to be involved as well.

no the complaints are the same teams getting looked after with the draw every year. In this case the dee's are handed another "blockbuster".

and thats beside the point, the issue is a team like carlton getting friday night games. they are s**t and don't deserve it.

No one wants to watch Collingwood or Carlton just because their big teams, we'd rather watch a team like bulldogs who make for exciting footy. Everyone only gets to watch one game on Fridays, have no idea why the afl would give it to those dropkick teams

I don't care when the footy is played. I don't see why Friday night is any better for blockbusters. Although, it's ******* stupid putting on multiple blockbusters at the same time, like Port vs Hawks and Freo vs Sydney.
Problem is they knew if they put dees vs Richmond on Saturday no one would watch it compared to port/hawks, swans/fremantle. So they made it a stand alone match, still dumb as s**t though

Just an observation.

As a non-Victorian who doesn't bet on footy and doesn't do dreamteam etc anymore, I watch footy for the blockbusters, the big close games.

I've noticed that I have not had interest in a Friday night game so far this year, and having a quick look at the next few weeks its again not interesting me.

Are Friday games ok for you?
Terrible viewing - last weeks game was awful.

This week we have all top 6 teams from last year playing each other and we have Tigers v Melbourne on??? It is not until round 7 do we get two top 8 teams from last year playing each other.

The afl have butchered Friday night football.

Friday night games this year suck. Entirely broken. Blues? What. Sorry, I want to see big clubs put on a show.
What?? So you enjoy watching the Blues play on Friday night??

Good teams playing >>>>>>>>>> NRL >>>>>>>> Soccer >>>>>>>>>>> netball >>>>>>>> Lawn bowls >>>>>>>>> chess >>>>>>> home and away >>>>>>>> crap big clubs playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back