Friday night footy - blockbusters?

Remove this Banner Ad

The game is to be played in Perth and the start time is 7.30 WST/ 9.30 EST.
It's on TV in the eastern states at 9.30 and there is no work/school the next day.
Just think Channel 7 can start there broadcast in the east at 6.30 and finish at 12.30.

Though how dare we ask for a couple of games to be played at a time that suits WA. Its just all take with you eastern staters.

I don't know about you but we work here on a Saturday so yes a game finishing at midnight is ridiculous. People will stop watching at half time.

The two games in Perth on Frisay is more than fine, the rest should be Sat/Sun

no the complaints are the same teams getting looked after with the draw every year. In this case the dee's are handed another "blockbuster".

and thats beside the point, the issue is a team like carlton getting friday night games. they are s**t and don't deserve it.
When you say that the Dees have been handed another blockbuster, what does that mean? We have Queen's Birthday, sure, but otherwise this is our first Friday night game in three years. We have an incredibly unremarkable fixture.

When you say that the Dees have been handed another blockbuster, what does that mean? We have Queen's Birthday, sure, but otherwise this is our first Friday night game in three years. We have an incredibly unremarkable fixture.

do you read the post i was replying to? apparently its not just a friday night game its a anzac day eve game against richmond to be played every year.

no the complaints are the same teams getting looked after with the draw every year. In this case the dee's are handed another "blockbuster".

and thats beside the point, the issue is a team like carlton getting friday night games. they are s**t and don't deserve it.

Not sure about the 'getting handed' part.

The 2 clubs approached the AFL about it, not the other way around.

compared to clubs like North approaching the AFL for a Unique blockbuster which looks very viable be told no for ten years.

For some reason the AFL is against playing on Good Friday (I assume that's what you're referring to)....and BTW, most clubs have put their hands up for that at some point, it's just that unlike North, they accept no for an answer and look for other solutions rather than using it as another excuse for their whining.

North and Richmond tried to setup a 'blockbuster' Eureka game, but it fell in a hole when it was Norths turn to actually pay for/contribute to promotion...It seems promoting the Richmond home game was 100% Richmond's responsibility, while promoting the North home game was a 'joint responsibility' between North, Richmond & the AFL. :rolleyes: Unsurprisingly, that died in the ass.

Why is everyone so against a Rich v Melb game. Quite frankly I would have thought the opposite. Besides the 3rd Qtr against the Giants the other week, we have actually played well this season. These are the kind of games Richmond can slip up, as we saw in the reverse fixture last year.

I for one think it will be close and entertaining. Better than seeing another Giant club come out and win by 60+, when the game is over at QTR time.

do you read the post i was replying to? apparently its not just a friday night game its a anzac day eve game against richmond to be played every year.
a) it's far from confirmed and b) the idea only exists because the Dees and Richmond came up with it.

What cheeses me off about this schedule from a biased point of view is that for years North were told "you'll get Friday night games when you earn them." So last year we got 5 and made the Preliminary Final, but this year we get only 2 whilst WCE/Carl, Coll/StK and Melb/Rich have somehow "earned" them. :confused: Other than that I don't really care. It's Friday night, footy's on the telly and I don't have to work tomorrow...can't complain too much.

I agree with you but to be fair this is our first Friday game since 2012 (and deservedly so you would argue) and only one for the season is believe.

I agree with you but to be fair this is our first Friday game since 2012 (and deservedly so you would argue) and only one for the season is believe.

Its OK DA you'll have this Friday night now locked in? Why? It suits the Tigers and the AFL have the major hots for us.

Round 1, Dreamtime, Friday Nights...you name it. The powers that be meet secretly in strange places and sacrifice pale skinned virgins to the footy Fates in the hope of getting Richmond going so they can hitch their fantasies of a packed MCG to the Runaway Tiger train.

You are locked in for pre ANZAC Friday. Just don't be so cheeky as to beat your sexy glamorous housemates in future you naughty boys.

I don't care when the footy is played. I don't see why Friday night is any better for blockbusters. Although, it's ******* stupid putting on multiple blockbusters at the same time, like Port vs Hawks and Freo vs Sydney.

Don't confuse blockbuster with good teams playing each other.

What?? So you enjoy watching the Blues play on Friday night??

Good teams playing >>>>>>>>>> NRL >>>>>>>> Soccer >>>>>>>>>>> netball >>>>>>>> Lawn bowls >>>>>>>>> chess >>>>>>> home and away >>>>>>>> crap big clubs playing.

Pfft.

Chess shits all over lawn bowls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a blockbuster two highly-supported teams playing each other? Like say... A showdown?

I'll give you the politically incorrect Vic centric and Big club centric but nonetheless undeniably time honoured definition of "blockbuster" as it has always been understood in our game.

A blockbuster is when two of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond play each other at the MCG with a big crowd of say over 70,000 both expected and showing up.

I'll give you the politically incorrect Vic centric and Big club centric but nonetheless undeniably time honoured definition of "blockbuster" as it has always been understood in our game.

A blockbuster is when two of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond play each other at the MCG with a big crowd of say over 70,000 both expected and showing up.

You'd have to be delusional to call Carlton vs Collingwood a "blockbuster" any more. I don't know what is worst, their insipid crowd of 40k last year (blockbuster :drunk:), or that pathetic boring s**t performance they put up on Friday night (blockbuster :drunk:).

And the only entertainment in watching Carlton vs Richmond is finding out whether Mick or Dimma is sacked next.

You'd have to be delusional to call Carlton vs Collingwood a "blockbuster" any more. I don't know what is worst, their insipid crowd of 40k last year (blockbuster :drunk:), or that pathetic boring s**t performance they put up on Friday night (blockbuster :drunk:).

And the only entertainment in watching Carlton vs Richmond is finding out whether Mick or Dimma is sacked next.

Not only is Carlton V Collingwood "a" blockbuster but it is almost unarguably "the" blockbuster. With the exception of holiday fixtures it trends as the biggest draw in the game and is part of Melbourne tradition.

40,000 last year? You mention it because it is an unusual outlier.

s**t the other night? Yes.

Fair play to Port....full of piss and vinegar at the moment taking advantage of the joy of the new and indulging the novelty of telling us 40,000 is insipid......New stadium developments usually see a "build it and they will come" boost for a few years before the novelty wears off and the crowds tail off so cool your heels mate and in time 40,000 won't look so "insipid".

Apart from running the risk of not giving Big Vic teams a lot of Friday night games, what would people think of a set distribution of Thursday/Friday night games? For example:

Assuming 23 rounds, and Good Friday footy, there's 23 Friday Night games, and we generally get 4 Thursday night games (Rnd 1, Easter Thursday, and 2 during the bye rounds). That's 27 Thu/Fri night games, 54 spots to fill.

Grand Finallists: 3 home, 3 away
3rd-7th: 2 home, 2 away
8th-9th: 2 home, 1 away
10th-16th: 1 home, 1 away
17th-18th: 0 home, 1 away

Based on last year, Hawthorn and Sydney would get 6 (3/3); Port, North, Geelong, Fremantle, Essendon 4 (2/2); Richmond, WCE 3 (2/1); Adelaide, Collingwood, GC, Carlton, WB, BL, GWS 2 (1/1); Melbourne, St Kilda 1 (0/1).

Apart from running the risk of not giving Big Vic teams a lot of Friday night games, what would people think of a set distribution of Thursday/Friday night games? For example:

Assuming 23 rounds, and Good Friday footy, there's 23 Friday Night games, and we generally get 4 Thursday night games (Rnd 1, Easter Thursday, and 2 during the bye rounds). That's 27 Thu/Fri night games, 54 spots to fill.

Grand Finallists: 3 home, 3 away
3rd-7th: 2 home, 2 away
8th-9th: 2 home, 1 away
10th-16th: 1 home, 1 away
17th-18th: 0 home, 1 away

Based on last year, Hawthorn and Sydney would get 6 (3/3); Port, North, Geelong, Fremantle, Essendon 4 (2/2); Richmond, WCE 3 (2/1); Adelaide, Collingwood, GC, Carlton, WB, BL, GWS 2 (1/1); Melbourne, St Kilda 1 (0/1).

Whilst it has some merits your system rewards the strong and punishes the weak.

You simply replace one elite ( the Big 4 ) with another ( the currently successful ).

Whilst it has some merits your system rewards the strong and punishes the weak.

You simply replace one elite ( the Big 4 ) with another ( the currently successful ).
Currently successful is merit-based, as opposed to "you get 15 Friday games because you're [insert club here]". What's wrong with that?

Currently successful is merit-based, as opposed to "you get 15 Friday games because you're [insert club here]". What's wrong with that?

I don't say there is anything particularly wrong with it and it may well be better than what we have.

However you'll find echoes of what we have in many pro sports leagues. The NRL run a "blockbusters" policy. Englsih football has a preponderance of "big matches" at attractive TV time slots etc etc.

Pro sports leagues do deals with media companies essentially promising to deliver a captive audience for advertisers in return for money....big money. Your system may ( or may not I don't know ) impact those numbers.

Friday night is built Round Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond. Why is Essendon largely absent....probably because the league thought better of putting the black sheep in the limelight. There is a lot of interaction between the leagues and the media on these issues.

Don't confuse blockbuster with good teams playing each other.
This is the biggest load of s**t I've read in a while. I think you'll find the majority of footy fans will call a blockbuster a game between teams near the top of the ladder over a sub-standard clash between a s**t side and a mid table side, who happen to be rivals. Carlton v Essendon in 2006 got 32k to it. 'Blockbuster' :rolleyes:

I don't say there is anything particularly wrong with it and it may well be better than what we have.

However you'll find echoes of what we have in many pro sports leagues. The NRL run a "blockbusters" policy. Englsih football has a preponderance of "big matches" at attractive TV time slots etc etc.

Pro sports leagues do deals with media companies essentially promising to deliver a captive audience for advertisers in return for money....big money. Your system may ( or may not I don't know ) impact those numbers.

Friday night is built Round Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond. Why is Essendon largely absent....probably because the league thought better of putting the black sheep in the limelight. There is a lot of interaction between the leagues and the media on these issues.
I think you'll find that after the disaster of this year's Friday night football ratings, the AFL will piss Carlton and Richmond off of it next year. After the complaints over last year's scheduling the AFL was always going to give out plenty of Friday night games to the big Victorian clubs to stop the crying, but I don't think they could foresee how bad Carlton would be, and to a lesser extent, Richmond.

This is the biggest load of s**t I've read in a while. I think you'll find the majority of footy fans will call a blockbuster a game between teams near the top of the ladder over a sub-standard clash between a s**t side and a mid table side, who happen to be rivals. Carlton v Essendon in 2006 got 32k to it. 'Blockbuster' :rolleyes:

You mustn't read much then.

But go on, imagine that your side is something of relevance when you aren't playing so well if it pleases you to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back