News From The Kitchen To The Controller: Girl Gamers Exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit part of the reason I didn't bother with Tomb Raider is the female protagonist, it just didn't appeal to me to play as a women. This is something that feminist lobby groups are now pushing for in games (more female protags), as I have just stated in the "feminism over it" thread on the general board.
Then try being female with all the male only protagonists in games. Final Fantasy 15, Shadows of Mordor. Two games I can think of that I would have preferred with female protags, but there is so many more. I think market forces will change that anyway, if there is a market for more female protagonists, then more companies will make games for that market. No point making games if there is no market for them.

Then try being female with all the male only protagonists in games. Final Fantasy 15, Shadows of Mordor. Two games I can think of that I would have preferred with female protags, but there is so many more. I think market forces will change that anyway, if there is a market for more female protagonists, then more companies will make games for that market. No point making games if there is no market for them.

When possible it's good when they give the option to choose male or female, Elder Scrolls games do this, as do Bioware games.

You'll always have you male and female characters though that can't be touched, Lara Croft, Snake etc.

The decision to have an all-male cast in Final Fantasy 15 was a dumb decision for sure. Especially for a series where all the games preceding 15 had at least 1 female playable character. Shadow of Mordor I have no clue whether you have a customisable character or not but yeah diversity in the characters you can play is great and should be in more games where appropriate/applicable.

We all know you're a pretend woman. Anyway on your second point, there's currently no indication that the market will change.

Your trolling has reached new, lower levels lately, Thurlow2Mackie.
I know you :thumbsu:

You don't have to even try to troll these privileged white male gamers ;), just giving an honest opinion seems to work. If I were trolling I would be arguing that the mainstream gaming industry is patriarchal and anti-female because they almost always use females in roles where they are helpless and in need of rescuing, rather than being strong and independent. I have watched Tropes vs Women and seen how successful she is at trolling certain kinds of male gamers like the OP. :p

But I don't really see it that way, there have been lots of good female protagonists (like my avatar - Lightning), and I think that with more females playing video games, more games will come out with options of gender and even sexual orientation (like bioware RPGs). The market has been mainly male dominated, hence the male oriented direction games have taken. I think it might be changing.

You don't have to even try to troll these privileged white male gamers ;), just giving an honest opinion seems to work. If I were trolling I would be arguing that the mainstream gaming...

Well, you are pretty good at it. Especially in the Bay. As for gaming, like film changed gradually so will gaming, but people like me don't need SJWs defending me for something I don't want/need defending over. Yes, I have hoped for more variety in terms of playable ethnic minorities, but I believe it will come in time. Gaming is just now growing out of its infancy (probably more like teenage years?), give it time. It will happen naturally, just like the percentage of females who game has grown rapidly over the years.

You don't have to even try to troll these privileged white male gamers ;), just giving an honest opinion seems to work. If I were trolling I would be arguing that the mainstream gaming industry is patriarchal and anti-female because they almost always use females in roles where they are helpless and in need of rescuing, rather than being strong and independent. I have watched Tropes vs Women and seen how successful she is at trolling certain kinds of male gamers like the OP. :p

But I don't really see it that way, there have been lots of good female protagonists (like my avatar - Lightning), and I think that with more females playing video games, more games will come out with options of gender and even sexual orientation (like bioware RPGs). The market has been mainly male dominated, hence the male oriented direction games have taken. I think it might be changing.

Pointless if you don't at least dress up in drag when you post here.

Pointless if you don't at least dress up in drag when you post here.
My avatar IS dressed in drag, if you look closely and know your Final Fantasy characters. :)

It will happen naturally, just like the percentage of females who game has grown rapidly over the years.

Is the percentage of female gamers rising because they have classified mobile games like Candy Crush as gaming, or is the level of console/PC gaming actually rising? Legitimate question.

Is the percentage of female gamers rising because they have classified mobile games like Candy Crush as gaming, or is the level of console/PC gaming actually rising? Legitimate question.

Check out the Digital Australia paper, this is the site but the PDF is in there somewhere. http://www.igea.net/2013/10/digital-australia-2014/
I believe the answer lies somewhere in-between though. Many may have started with mobile games but have gone on to console/PC gaming. The paper is pretty interesting, but I haven't analysed the stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gamergate. Sigh.

Game developer Brianna Wu fled her home last night, following what is becoming a distressingly frequent case of women in the gaming scene expressing fears for their safety due to online harassment.

Wu, a developer in Boston who recently released the well-received Revolution 60 mobile game, said on Twitter last night that she and her husband had called the police and left their home to stay elsewhere after receiving a spate of vile Tweets that included death threats and the couple's home address.

If these losers can track down addresses, can't they do something like get a job, move out of Mum's house or wash their neck beard?

Gamergate. Sigh.

If these losers can track down addresses, can't they do something like get a job, move out of Mum's house or wash their neck beard?

Yes this is terrible, but Twitter is full of empty threats like this and so long as people like her and Anita (who apparently also moved out of home) keep trying to draw attention to abuse on Twitter by moving out they are ultimately giving these people what they want.

I think most people will naturally identify with a characters gender as a selling point so I can see why women would want to play as women. But I think it might depend on the type of game too, as I enjoy Alien: Isolation. That franchise has always been one of my favs, I'm not old enough to have been alive but a female lead in a 1979 film would have been pretty rare I suppose? It worked though.

He's saying they bring it on themselves, I think.

Kind of. I think that if you come out in the open like Brianna, Anita and maybe a couple of others about going to the police, moving out of home etc then it maybe 'encourages' others to do the same knowing they'll get a reaction. People like Anita Sarkeesian only make it worse if the reports of her fabricating her stories are true. Just block, report and ignore would be a better course of action in the hope Twitter upholds it's side of the bargain so to say. Nothing wrong with going to the police if you genuinely fear for your safety, i don't think it's a good idea to tell the world though, especially on a medium like Twitter where idiots are ever present.

Kind of. I think that if you come out in the open like Brianna, Anita and maybe a couple of others about going to the police, moving out of home etc then it maybe 'encourages' others to do the same knowing they'll get a reaction. People like Anita Sarkeesian only make it worse if the reports of her fabricating her stories are true. Just block, report and ignore would be a better course of action in the hope Twitter upholds it's side of the bargain so to say. Nothing wrong with going to the police if you genuinely fear for your safety, i don't think it's a good idea to tell the world though, especially on a medium like Twitter where idiots are ever present.
I bet you don't even realise how ignorant this post is, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back