From the mainboard - Allen Jakovich - Where is he now? Funny story!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
In times like these we need a good memory

Credit to The Saintsational Man

Yesterday a bloke calls up SEN and asked David Schwarz what’s Allen Jakovich up to these days.....Ox mentions he’s running a fishing charter company up on the Gold Coast and is a recluse or something along those lines.....then proceeds to tell a story.....

In Allen's contract, he was allocated $10,000 every year worth of Puma gear and when he came first time to collect he took all $10,000 straight off the bat.....the idea was to take a little bit each time so your always decked out in the newest products Puma has to offer, but Allen took it all in one hit and was suspected of taking the clothes then selling them down at a market or somewhere else.

The next year same thing, comes in grabs all $10,000 straight up.....so one of the Melbourne Football Club Executives or someone along those lines followed him to see what he was up to.....turns out he followed him right to the Royal Children’s Hospital where Jakovich was handing out all the clothes to the kids.

Awesome story.....

Its weird this came up ive been thinking about the good old days of footy in the 90s and Allen was a hero in my eyes. I think 1991 Jakovich vs north kicking melbournes first 6 goals, kicking 11.7 and one on the full for the day and talking to his girlfriend behind the goals oh the glory days

Its weird this came up ive been thinking about the good old days of footy in the 90s and Allen was a hero in my eyes. I think 1991 Jakovich vs north kicking melbournes first 6 goals, kicking 11.7 and one on the full for the day and talking to his girlfriend behind the goals oh the glory days

What a day. And he kicked one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. As far as bicycle kicks go it would have taken Didak's on Friday night to go in to beat Jako's that day. Shame the Channel Seven cameras missed it because they were showing a replay, or he would have surely beaten Daicos for goal of the yealr

him kissing his brother would make a pretty good toyota ad, however i doubt allen would agree to do one given what glen said about him on SEN the other day...

What a day. And he kicked one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. As far as bicycle kicks go it would have taken Didak's on Friday night to go in to beat Jako's that day. Shame the Channel Seven cameras missed it because they were showing a replay, or he would have surely beaten Daicos for goal of the yealr

I was behind those goals that day - unbelievable. He just threw the boot out, and through it went. Essence of mercurial; right down to the flaky unreliability of his body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was even prettier against the backdrop of a demolished Southern Stand.

Apparently when he was signed by Melbourne, he was being shown around the MCG and was told that 'it was very exciting that a new state of the art stand was being built with over 50,000 seats that would be ready next year'.

His response; 'that's a shame'.

When asked what he meant, he said 'that's over 50,000 people that won't be able to watch me play every week until next year'.

The OP reminds me of a time I went with my brother to training at the Junction Oval in, maybe, '92.

We'd watched the group running drills for about an hour then Jakka broke off from that with an old guy and a bag of balls and went up the other end to practice shots at goal. We followed them around and sat about 3 rows back between the point post and the 50m line. He didn't miss many and put on a bit of a show with some banana's, snaps and torps - a couple of bananas were done right in front of us. We were just kind of watching quietly, not enthusing too much or winding him up or anything.

After about another hour, the main group headed inside and Jakka called out to the old guy that he'd be a couple more minutes. The next kick he sprayed weirdly from about the 50 on a 45 degree angle on the opposite side of the ground to us. The ball came right at us and came to rest in the gutter against the fence. I was wondering if he was trying to hit us or if he was trying to get us involved or something, but we didn't know what to do - get the ball and kick it back to him or the old guy, or what. Anyway he kept going and wasn't even looking at us, so we left the ball there. We also didn't want to get in trouble for jumping the fence.

A couple of minutes and another 8 or 10 kicks later, Jakka starts jogging in towards the old guy picking up balls and soccering others back to him, but not the one in front of us. He got to the old bloke and they were loading up the bag, so we called out, "Hey, Jakka. You missed one!" and were pointing at the ball in front of us, but he just turned around and waved then put his arm over the old guy's shoulders and started talking to him animatedly and they walked off the ground.

Again, we didn't know what to do and sat there for about 20 minutes debating whether to turn the ball in or take it. In the end we went down and got it and took it home. Once the guilt had worn off, and as I think about it now, I'm absolutely positive that Jakka thought, "Here you go boys, have a Sherrin" and deliberately sprayed that kick, it was a strangely shanky, inside-out job, then left it for us and was either distracting the old guy or telling him to let us have it.

Forever more that was known as the Jakka ball and it'll still be around my parents house somewhere; I should try and find it. Sadly, we trashed it pretty badly playing kick to kick with it on asphalt.

This story gets weirder every year.

Getting out of the car for a game against the Dogs at the Western Oval in '93 wasn't it?

....or have I just been punk'd

This story gets weirder every year.

Getting out of the car for a game against the Dogs at the Western Oval in '93 wasn't it?

....or have I just been punk'd

I'd like to think he was having a session in the carpark of the Western Oval before a match and was also reaching into the glovebox for a Fillet O Fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back