Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree it is a disgrace. The Crows play Essendon at Etihad in a few weeks. I am a Victorian based Adelaide member meaning I have paid to see all Adelaide's Melbourne games. However as the Essendon game is fully ticketed, I have to pay another $30 to watch the game and I can't buy a guess pass. So most likely I will not go even though I have supposedly already paid. It we'll be the first Adelaide game in Melbourne that I have missed for years.

Way to go AFL!
I agree it sucks, but the seats you would have been sitting in if it wasn't fully ticketed are only $8.50, not $30. Also as far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop you buying extra seats when you use your membership. Anyone can go on and buy multiple tickets, my AFL membership lets me get extras if I sit in the public section, not sure why you Crows membership wouldn't let you.

TooFar

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Les_Canadiens Philadelphia_Eagles
I agree it sucks, but the seats you would have been sitting in if it wasn't fully ticketed are only $8.50, not $30. Also as far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop you buying extra seats when you use your membership. Anyone can go on and buy multiple tickets, my AFL membership lets me get extras if I sit in the public section, not sure why you Crows membership wouldn't let you.
If it wasn't fully ticketed, I could walk right in by swiping my members card. The cheapest seats I can find are $30 plus $7.50 booking fee. Why aren't there any $8.50 seats?
I also don't know why I can't buy a guess pass, maybe as the game is a few weeks away, tickets are only available for members? Who knows what the AFL are doing, one thing for sure, they aren't making it easy for fans.

The round 21 return match between Carlton vs Geelong, also at Etihad has again been classed as an A-reserved match. Considering there was less than 37k at the match last night, do the AFL really think that come round 21 something is going to change between these 2 sides and suddenly an extra 15k are going to want to attend?
Surely after last night they could make a decision now just maybe the round 21 fixture should be changed to allow general admin seating - and while they are at it look at the rest of the fixture involving the rest of the teams and go back to a system that has been working in previous years.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The cheapest seats I can find are $30 plus $7.50 booking fee. Why aren't there any $8.50 seats?
I also don't know why I can't buy a guess pass, maybe as the game is a few weeks away, tickets are only available for members? Who knows what the AFL are doing, one thing for sure, they aren't making it easy for fans.
I tried the Ticketmaster site, entered my AFL member barcode, selected public part of the ground, and there were heaps of the cheap seats on level 3 around the ground. Could buy 1 at the cheap rate and as many extras at full price as I wanted. What options are there after you enter your barcode, are you selecting some sort of Crow member only option or maybe selecting level 1 only? You need to get into the public section on level 3.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The round 21 return match between Carlton vs Geelong, also at Etihad has again been classed as an A-reserved match. Considering there was less than 37k at the match last night, do the AFL really think that come round 21 something is going to change between these 2 sides and suddenly an extra 15k are going to want to attend?
Surely after last night they could make a decision now just maybe the round 21 fixture should be changed to allow general admin seating - and while they are at it look at the rest of the fixture involving the rest of the teams and go back to a system that has been working in previous years.

Carlton home game would presumably make a bit of difference (why the league ever gives Geelong home Friday night games in Melbourne, I'll never know). But there's a fair chance that it would be offset, due to it (in all likelihood) being a dead rubber for Carlton, by that stage.

The Dog

All Australian
Aug 21, 2012
Carlton North
AFL Club
Carlton
Why do I have to pay to reserve a seat when I just want to stand?

Would not be surprised if AFL makes standing at the footy illegal, or maybe just charge more for the privilege.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Was clearly never going to be an A class game. I don't mind the systems idea but that was just ridiculous.

Moving on the biggest issue is the way Etihad seats fans. It's so bizarre, last night level 1 was probably a bit over half full, level 2 about a third full and level 3 probably two thirds full. It makes it look like there's no one there on TV and adds to the grounds already poor atmosphere

Strauchanside

Team Captain
May 19, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
I've attended five matches in the last three years. Three of those have been interstate. Honestly, I'd rather watch at home in my own lounge and pay for Fox. Apart from special occasions, I won't be attending any game any time soon.....

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What the AFL/Etihad are telling us is that despite doing it for years on end we can no longer just walk in, stand in an available area or sit in an available seat in the general admission RESERVE and be civil. Instead, despite plenty of room for everyone we all have to shell out at least $8.50 for the right to be assigned to a particular seat we have no desire to sit in.

I understand the need for public safety and the benefit providing everyone with a select seat in a busy game. If you've read or seen anything about Hillsborough you don't mess with public safety. But Geelong v Carlton, there's no need for a full ticketed game at a game like that.

It's very possible they are trying to drive everyone towards reserve seat memberships but if the crowds die down due to their idiotic policies then that won't encourage reserve seat members will it?

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
I can see both side's here, the AFL said AFL memberships and club memberships would not be affected, but they are.

AFL members should not have to wait in line to get a free ticket
Interstate club members should get the same arrangement EVERY OTHER STADIUM INTHE COUNTRY HAS, in regards to what the memberships buy.

I have some sympathy for GA members, which can be solved by deactivating their cards for A class matches on but allow them to book a GA ticket for free online until the day before the game.

This way no members are affected unless they leave it until the day to go to the match, encouraging members to be proactive about attending matches is not a bad idea.

If your a non member or lazy, tuff bickies i say.

Modified Dog

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've voted with my feet this season. I refuse to pay the mark up for these bogus "fully-ticketed" games

F**k the AFL. They can get stuffed.

I'd rather give my money to the local pub where the beers are full strength and they don't charge 2024 prices.

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
LOL @ AFL.

All this is driven by purely through greed, and its backfiring.

Fans aren't rich n' dumb so please stop treating us as though we are.

well unless the fans of the clubs suffering most organise mass boycotts, nothing will really change, we know that. unless you get so fed up with every facet of it that you all stop rocking up like we did

final fight

All Australian
Jan 29, 2012
Delta City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FC Zenit Saint Petersburg
no point complaining on a forum only to go the footy next week. Send the AFL a REAL message and do not renew next season and do that until they make the changes you want. It's really quite simple.

Maybenextyear

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
Essendon Rehab Centre
AFL Club
Richmond
I want my AFL membership, which I pay $450 for, to actually let me in to the 40 games per years that it supposidly does.

Absolutely spot on. For 25 years I used to get into any game I wanted with only my membership. Then they made the dream time game a ticketed game. Fair enough. Then they made games against Collingwood and Carlton ticketed games. Getting dodgey. Then it is games against North and the Bulldogs ticketed " A " grade games? Give me a break.

If I have to keep buying a bloody seat what the **** am I buying a membership for?

Maybenextyear

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
Essendon Rehab Centre
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree it is a disgrace. The Crows play Essendon at Etihad in a few weeks. I am a Victorian based Adelaide member meaning I have paid to see all Adelaide's Melbourne games. However as the Essendon game is fully ticketed, I have to pay another $30 to watch the game and I can't buy a guess pass. So most likely I will not go even though I have supposedly already paid. It we'll be the first Adelaide game in Melbourne that I have missed for years.

Way to go AFL!

I was looking through the AFL Membership site and it is amazing with some of the games where you can't buy a guest pass at all and even if you can $60 for an adult guest pass and $18 dollars for a child for an "A " game. ( GWS v Pakistan would be classed as an "A " grade game )

They should hand out condoms at the gate because the average fan is getting ****** every week.

Modified Dog

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is not a new problem, fully ticketed matches have been happening for years.
Keep up, mate.

In previous seasons, the fully-ticketed matches were the games the AFL knew would go close to being a sell-out. This season, they've taken it one step further. Any game with reasonable demand has been designated as "high demand". They are gouging the fans of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong in order to subsidise clubs such as GWS, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St Kilda and North Melbourne.

This is the tax they spoke about last season in order to "equalise" the competition.

F**k the AFL. They treat their fans as a bottomless resource. More, more, more. It's pure greed. I am not giving them another penny of my "gate money". If they want to equalise the comp, they should stop rigging the fixtures - Stop giving Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond two matches against each other every single season. Stop giving s**t fixtures to the poor clubs. Stop bowing to Channel 7's excess demands. It's ruining the competition.

The AFL gives my club nothing - quite the opposite, in fact. They've worked hard behind the scenes to screw Hawthorn's Tassie deal. The Hawks stood up to them and so they've given us a shitty fixture for the past 3 seasons as punishment. Meanwhile they give other favoured clubs a dream fixture (e.g Sydney) in order to manipulate the ladder positions.

And now they're expecting Hawthorn and Geelong fans to subsidise the poor clubs.

They can f**k right off.

Give us Anzac Day vs Collingwood and I'll think about it.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
Keep up, mate.

In previous seasons, the fully-ticketed matches were the games the AFL knew would go close to being a sell-out. This season, they've taken it one step further. Any game with reasonable demand has been designated as "high demand". They are gouging the fans of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong in order to subsidise clubs such as GWS, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St Kilda and North Melbourne.

This is the tax they spoke about last season in order to "equalise" the competition.

F**k the AFL. They treat their fans as a bottomless resource. More, more, more. It's pure greed. I am not giving them another penny of my "gate money". If they want to equalise the comp, they should stop rigging the fixtures - Stop giving Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond two matches against each other every single season. Stop giving s**t fixtures to the poor clubs. Stop bowing to Channel 7's excess demands. It's ruining the competition.

The AFL gives my club nothing - quite the opposite, in fact. They've worked hard behind the scenes to screw Hawthorn's Tassie deal. The Hawks stood up to them and so they've given us a shitty fixture for the past 3 seasons as punishment. Meanwhile they give other favoured clubs a dream fixture (e.g Sydney) in order to manipulate the ladder positions.

And now they're expecting Hawthorn and Geelong fans to subsidise the poor clubs.

They can f**k right off.

Give us Anzac Day vs Collingwood and I'll think about it.
Genuine question. What's shitty about your fixtures?

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I want my AFL membership, which I pay $450 for, to actually let me in to the 40 games per years that it supposidly does.

Spot on we pay to become an afl member. That should give us walk up to every home and away match bar anzac day. We should not need to line up to be given a free ticket or pay extra on event day just to sit level 3. Scan us in you idiots at the afl.

Back