Bluto

All Australian
Sep 18, 2007
Dubai
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Thought I would post up a few random stats of note based on my desperate attempt to avoid grading papers. Keep in mind these are off the AFL site...not ranked #1 in useability.

At the end of Round 2 (I know what a sample size is, and I don't care...just read my favourite book "Lying with Statistics"):
  • Fremantle are leading (yes, leading) the average free kick differential at +9.
  • Fremantle are ranked =15th for tackles (implied pressure much?)
  • Micky Barlow is playing a completely different outside role...just 1 clearance per game, 80% of his disposals are uncontested, and averaging 11 marks. Compared to last year - 4 clearances per game, 60% UCP, 6 marks per game.
  • Johnson and McPharlin are two of just three players to play 100% of game time, with Troy Chaplin (Obviously far too old for this caper if they can't even run as far as the interchange bench. Lazy.)
  • Nat Fyfe is second in average contested disposals, equal second in inside 50s, leading the league in free kicks against (superstar treatment), equal second in marks inside 50, first in goal of the year nominations, and perfect in the eyes of the coaches.
  • Pav has had 6 free kicks for this year after 2 weeks, compared to a total of 21 all of last year.
  • Lachie Neale has a disposal efficiency of 87% so far, even with half of his disposals contested (went at 68% DE last year...that's a fair jump).
  • De Boer has as many tackles as he does disposals (admittedly it is just 8, but that puts him 3rd at the club...for tackles...not disposals)

1NLE06PXA9TIA.gif

Thought I would post up a few random stats of note based on my desperate attempt to avoid grading papers. Keep in mind these are off the AFL site...not ranked #1 in useability.

At the end of Round 2 (I know what a sample size is, and I don't care...just read my favourite book "Lying with Statistics"):
  • Fremantle are leading (yes, leading) the average free kick differential at +9.
  • Micky Barlow is playing a completely different outside role...just 1 clearance per game, 80% of his disposals are uncontested, and averaging 11 marks. Compared to last year - 4 clearances per game, 60% UCP, 6 marks per game.
  • Johnson and McPharlin are two of just three players to play 100% of game time, with Troy Chaplin (Obviously far too old for this caper if they can't even run as far as the interchange bench. Lazy.)
  • Nat Fyfe is second in average contested disposals, equal second in inside 50s, leading the league in free kicks against (superstar treatment), equal second in marks inside 50, first in goal of the year nominations, and perfect in the eyes of the coaches.
  • Pav has had 6 free kicks for this year after 2 weeks, compared to a total of 21 all of last year.
  • Lachie Neale has a disposal efficiency of 87% so far, even with half of his disposals contested (went at 68% DE last year...that's a fair jump).
  • De Boer has as many tackles as he does disposals (admittedly it is just 8, but that puts him 3rd at the club...for tackles...not disposals)

If Fyfe keeps that up it looks like he'll be runner up in the Brownlow again.

Would love to see a team ranking of DE. Find out if the players I think torch it every week actually do or not.

Disposal efficiency is a crap stat as it is too subjective as to what an effective disposal actually is.

Having said that, my buddy is going great guns with DE so I'm going to embrace it for now.
Your buddy, Lachie Neale, is one of our guns that is flying under the radar. Everybody sees the flashy big names (and Ballas, for the wrong reasons), but Lachie very rarely gets cited. He was reported as having about 9 clearances last weekend and DE is very high, yet even in our own voting thread he only got a couple of 1 votes here and there. Our midfield wouldn't look so flash without first winning the clearances - Lachie Neale and Fyfe are a big part of that.

1NLE06PXA9TIA.gif
I have definitely noticed the lower tackle count. There is an obvious change to our game plan this year, I can't exactly pin it down but I'm a bit excited about it!

Your buddy, Lachie Neale, is one of our guns that is flying under the radar. Everybody sees the flashy big names (and Ballas, for the wrong reasons), but Lachie very rarely gets cited. He was reported as having about 9 clearances last weekend and DE is very high, yet even in our own voting thread he only got a couple of 1 votes here and there. Our midfield wouldn't look so flash without first winning the clearances - Lachie Neale and Fyfe are a big part of that.

It bothers me that there is no one in the footy media who actually analyses teams the way they should be analysed.

For my mind, the move of Lachie Neale into Barlow's role (I didn't mention the increase in stoppages attended etc) is a massive contributor to our two wins but nary a mention in the media. Coaching masterstroke. Actually listening to the Herald Sun footy podcast and one other (can't remember, might have been On The Couch) they actually praised Barlow specifically for his inside work. Watch the game, look at the stats. Dude's playing outside and loving it.

It bothers me that there is no one in the footy media who actually analyses teams the way they should be analysed.

Used to be Insiders on Fox Footy that focused on the tactical side of the game but for some reason they got rid of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to be Insiders on Fox Footy that focused on the tactical side of the game but for some reason they got rid of it.
What's this thoughtful, incisive football discussion malarkey you're talking about?

What the punters really want is balding, fat bastard, former players carrying on like imbeciles ... and chocolate wheels, gotta have chocolate wheels.

Apparently.

Maybe they thought that the regular viewers weren't interested. Maybe there are only a few of us statistical masterminds (I'm an accountant) that watch. Maybe this thread will become that avenue to discuss. Now where's that copy of Moneyball...

I have definitely noticed the lower tackle count. There is an obvious change to our game plan this year, I can't exactly pin it down but I'm a bit excited about it!
I could be wrong but I've noticed the midfielders aren't pressing so high up the ground this season. Sitting back off their players when the opposition bring it out of defence to prevent them running it out. The forwards still put on a lot of pressure when there's a loose ball. The mids sag off. If the opposition do start running it, it's the midfielders running backwards who try and prevent it; the defenders stay on their man. There were a few promising Geelong transition plays that got stopped on the half forward line by fufe and mayne running with them in the same direction, Mundy coming up from half back.

Against Geelong I noticed the forwards leading well up the ground, sometimes to half back, otherwise receivng the ball outside the 50. Mayne, Walters, pav and tabs all did this. They draw their defenders with them leaving space behind for the midfielders to run into. It then becomes a foot race between Barlow and Fyfe and their respective opponents. We're compensating for our lack of forward line potency with the run and ariel dominance/size of our mids.

For my mind, the move of Lachie Neale into Barlow's role (I didn't mention the increase in stoppages attended etc) is a massive contributor to our two wins but nary a mention in the media. Coaching masterstroke. Actually listening to the Herald Sun footy podcast and one other (can't remember, might have been On The Couch) they actually praised Barlow specifically for his inside work. Watch the game, look at the stats. Dude's playing outside and loving it.
Great post. Playing a mix of inside and outside was what made him so dangerous in 2010 - could win the clearance, but could also link up through the middle or push hard forward for a few goals a game on occasion. Maybe Lyon didn't initially think that was his strength, maybe after the leg break it was something he simply could not physically do, or maybe the emergence of Neale as the inside mid enables Barlow to play a different role. But if he can capture that 2010 form, it only makes the midfield much stronger than it ever has been

Great post. Playing a mix of inside and outside was what made him so dangerous in 2010 - could win the clearance, but could also link up through the middle or push hard forward for a few goals a game on occasion. Maybe Lyon didn't initially think that was his strength, maybe after the leg break it was something he simply could not physically do, or maybe the emergence of Neale as the inside mid enables Barlow to play a different role. But if he can capture that 2010 form, it only makes the midfield much stronger than it ever has been
My recollection is that he finished second in the JJ Liston Trophy, immediately before being drafted, playing a role like this as a midfielder / high half forward rather than a pure inside mid.

My recollection is that he finished second in the JJ Liston Trophy, immediately before being drafted, playing a role like this as a midfielder / high half forward rather than a pure inside mid.
Yeah, the highlights clip from the VFL showed him to be a pretty well rounded footballer, and his 2010 was amazing.

Funny that the role he's playing now is the complete opposite of what Hasleby suggested.

Yeah, the highlights clip from the VFL showed him to be a pretty well rounded footballer, and his 2010 was amazing.

Funny that the role he's playing now is the complete opposite of what Hasleby suggested.
Funny and Hasleby should always be seen in the same sentence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back