Funniest crowd comment you have heard at a Lions game

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the a freo v lions game at subi the week after freo had been hammered by the crows and only kicked 1 goal. I was sitting near the freo cheer squad when they broke out in applause for what they thought was a goal only for it to be called touched. As the crowd got quiet I stood up and shouted "its okay guys, we aren't in adelaide, you don't have to applaud every point"....... I made friends :D

Had a few great ones.

Someone during the Kangas game this year at half time when we were down by a considerable amount yelled out, "hey lions, if you squint hard enough they look like Geelong".
I heard this too! I was sitting in the BCG members, and I think the guy was sitting in the next section over the fence. I chuckled.

As for mine, I think it was a game against Richmond in 2007/2008 at 'Telstra Dome'. Nigel Lappin kicked a ridiculous goal from 50 on the boundary, as the siren was sounding for half or three quarter time. A Lions supporter yells "You'd better wipe the ball umpire! He's pulled that out of his ass!".

Trial match vs the Suns at Southport - Karmichael Hunt's first game.

Big pack flies in the Lions defensive goalsquare. In the action Danny Stanley collects Hunt for some serious freindly fire. As the trainer is carrying him off, this fat bloke in a made in Thailand Lions shirt yells out "K Hunt (ryming slang) welcome to a man's game" - 100 laughs & Hunt looks up & gives a thumbs up. Priceless.

Lions v Bombers circa the premiership years. Not far from the fence around the goal area.

Everytime Scott Lucas came near the goals, this guy would shout out to him with another idea for how he could use his right leg (since he wouldn't kick with it). I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but I remember laughing pretty hard by the end of it.

Jarred Brennans debut game against the Pies.
Sitting in G A with the great unwashed. One in particular in front of us was a typical tooth less. tattooed speciman and gave off a very distinct aroma every time he rose from his seat to cheer a goal
Once we hit the front he went very quiet. I said to the young man on my left.Gee they have gone quiet haven't they.
He said yes.but they still smell.
Classic and he never batted an eye lid.

When the first free for the game is awarded....."About time umpire, he's been doing it all game."
A classic that one always is.

Always can be enhanced in the first game of the year with "he's been doing it all season" too!!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this wasn't Lions but no doubt a few will like this.

Storm V broncos a couple of years ago after the Broncos had lost Hunt and Folau to AFL. During the broncos warm up all the Storm fans start singing "your just an AFL feeder team"

The Storm fans come up with some classics. Against Crounlla they started singing to Todd Carney "have you met Fevola"

Last edited:
After we lost Risca, Brennan, Braddy and Hansen following 2009 and Sherman in 2010 there was a wag in Section 19 who had a great, deep and resonant voice with many an amusing comment. But he created a Section 18-20 favourite with Brennan and Sherman in particular.

"YOU'RE A TRAITOR BRENNAN! <or insert player name>

It came with such regularity whenever the player in question came near the Wellington Rd end and with such laconic venom that it was lapped up by the crowd. We hung on every call.

On a side note I reckon Risca only ever got it once and Braddy was spared. No traitor there.

In Browny's comeback match vs Essendon in 2005, he absolutely tore Essendon apart & kicked 8 goals.

Late in the last quarter Browny went for the ball on the boundary but he was beaten for it by 5 players teaming up on him(the only time they beat him that night) play went up the other end and the crowd was quiet, and an old man yells out "get off the ground Brown you have done nothin all night" Browny turns around with a big grin on his face and gave a thumbs up, Classic.

I have a few favourites,

One of the things I really love about the football is how close you can get to the action and how much you feel part of it, so there are always great crowd participation moments.

Number 1- My All Time favourite.
Sean Wight, (the other irishman) who so recently and tragically passed away from Cancer in 2011, was a great servant of the Melbourne football club and a pioneer of the irish experiment and whilst his legacy is understandably eclipsed by that of Jim Stynes, he was a solid contributor for a number of years. By 1995 however his career was winding down, and in an era before interchange rotations, starting on the bench often meant a quarter or two of warming up in front of the members, star jumps in front of the coaches box, stretching and other antics to try and stay war and catch the coaches eye. Being named on the bench for his 150th then meant that what was a milestone game fro Wight would start a little later than planned. by quarter time he was still on the pine, at half time he had not entered the field, as the three quarter time siren approached he had still not been sent on. brisbane were winning and Here was a great club man of the MFC being forced to sit and watch his milestone game. As he set off aound the boundary for another jog to keep warm, a female friend whom I was with could not help herself. Waiting until he was facing the crowd she stood and yelled out- "Happy 150th Sean"... Maybe you had to be there.

Number 2- My Personal Highlight
By 1999, the bears were the lions and the Lions were becoming a powerhouse. My wife and i were full members, and had sits, just on the 50 Metre mark, two rows back on the vulture street (school end). It was a prime spot for hearing and being heard, and I like to think I played my part. On one occassion, against Hawthorn, we were being beaten, in a game we should have been winning. our back line looked in particular all over the place. As the Hawks took another mark on centre wing, and sought to slow play down before launching another foray into our fifity, Adam Heuskes was lost, his oppnenet, was standing 10 metresin front of me, but heuskes,w as 30 Metres away, looking around, unable to find his man. I took Matters into my own hands. "Ooga, he's over here!!", Heuskes looked up, saw him, loped over to man up in no particular hurry, and gave me a thumbs up in acknowledgement.

Number 3- Most Recent
THe Gabba (q Clash) Last year. Early in the game, before Raines had shut him out completely, the Suns supporters around us still harboured the hope that Ablett could win them the game, if only his teammates got him the ball. For the entire first quarter we endured 'Harley, kick it Gary,' or 'Cambell, Kick it to Gary,' before one wag responded the only way possible, as Ablett gathered the ball someone yelled our 'Gary kick it to Gary", and i lost it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More of a conversation between myself and my long term game buddy, the set up is mine, the winning line his. A few years ago we noticed that every time Browny was lining up for a shot at goal the unkempt hippy that was the late model Travis Johnstone would wander up to Browny, have a few words and then wander off.

The exchange that followed went something like this.

Me: Trav's their guru. He meditates in the middle of the Gabba and lives of the dew.
Mate: He's offering Browny his wisdom with every shot.
Me: what do you reckon he says?
Mate: Kick it between the big ones mate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, not so much a crowd comment, but I got my step-son to a game this year, Lions v. Suns.
* knows why, but he likes the Suns. Not a huge AFL fan mind you but he did sledge our beloved Pearce with "Potato, potato, diddly dee."
He was making fun of his heritage, and it is rather childish, and it was meant as a mock, but I loved it so much that now, I use it as a celebratory cry when he does the magic that he does.
Potato, potato, diddly dee.

(Gotta do the accent).;)

Again, not so much a crowd comment, but I got my step-son to a game this year, Lions v. Suns.
**** knows why, but he likes the Suns. Not a huge AFL fan mind you but he did sledge our beloved Pearce with "Potato, potato, diddly dee."
He was making fun of his heritage, and it is rather childish, and it was meant as a mock, but I loved it so much that now, I use it as a celebratory cry when he does the magic that he does.
Potato, potato, diddly dee.

(Gotta do the accent).;)

I like to go against the grain so I say didley Dee potatoes

Poor accent free of charge

Best I heard was back in 98/99, when a visiting fan yelled out "Who do you think you are Voss, you're from MORNINGSIDE!!"

another couple of good ones.

Gelong V Lions at karinda Park in 2000. Voss is playing on Gary Hocking and a Lions fan yells out "voss on Hocking ones got a brownlow the others got a can of whiskers"

Also in the 2002 Grand Final Daryl White handballs to Simon Black and someone yells out "that's the real Black and White army"

Also one that should be yelled out anytime Rhys Shaw is near the ball "pikey's coming"

The best one I seen was at Optus Oval in 2003, this guy 2 rows behind me was just getting stuck into Aka calling him a loser and saying he can't play, which when they where six goals up was fair game, when Brisbane came back and took the lead, Aka kicked the goal from the pocket along the ground, absolute classic Aka goal, looked up at he guy and nodded his head, we all look at the Carlton supporter, he just went "s**t" and shut up for the rest of the game.

Although not a Lions game it did have a Lions link.

Back in 2009 went to a Pies vs Blues game with a few [pies] work mates - purely for the free booze of course. Chris Yarran was prancing down The Great Southern Stand wing and had an errant ping at goals from around 50 out – and as the pie folk about eased off with their slagging of Yarran and with Lions scarf proudly displayed I proceeded with – “Who do think you are Yarran, Daniel Rich?”

Although not a Lions game it did have a Lions link.

Back in 2009 went to a Pies vs Blues game with a few [pies] work mates - purely for the free booze of course. Chris Yarran was prancing down The Great Southern Stand wing and had an errant ping at goals from around 50 out – and as the pie folk about eased off with their slagging of Yarran and with Lions scarf proudly displayed I proceeded with – “Who do think you are Yarran, Daniel Rich?”
I think the Polls board would appreciate that anecdote Freddo.

Not quite a crowd comment but a funny thing in the crowd.

Round 1 200 V Blues at Optus.

It was about 35 degrees or something and sitting with the Lynch mob on the half forward flank on the uni wing at the end of the legends stand. A guy grabs the fire hose and starts spraying it all over the Lynch mob. Funny thing is we didn't care because it was so hot. For about the next 2 years at every Lions game in Victoria the Lynch Mob could be heard chanting "we want the hose man"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back