IschenkoUBeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, you can tell it's the off-season.

I'll kick things off.

There's two places in Vic called Mount Buggery. What on earth were people thinking when naming it.

go.

I lived in Perth for three years and always laughed when people told me they lived Upper Swan.

IschenkoUBeauty, when I was a kid, I got a book for Christmas called the Meaning of Liff (correct spelling). In it, the author had ascribed dictionary meanings to all the towns in England with odd names. It's funny if you're into this sort of thing.

I live not too far from a place called Nowhere Else. Other places close to that are Promised Land and Paradise (where my late grandmother was born).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I lived in Perth for three years and always laughed when people told me they lived Upper Swan.

IschenkoUBeauty, when I was a kid, I got a book for Christmas called the Meaning of Liff (correct spelling). In it, the author had ascribed dictionary meanings to all the towns in England with odd names. It's funny if you're into this sort of thing.

Callers to SEN ring in and say they're Bill or Tom and they're in Doreen at the moment. The announcers love repeating it, followed by "how's it going, Tom?" followed by "not bad" or "it's nice."

Doreen is a northern outer suburb of Melbourne.

There's a restaurant in the city called The New Kum Den. I wonder what happened to the old one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cockburn, Western Australia.

Ouch!

I had to send stuff there once for work. Thought it was a prank. Who seriously thought that would be a nice name for a suburb?

A few more from down my way...

Snug
Nook
Penguin
Flower Pot
Eggs and Bacon Bay
Sea Elephant
Devils Gullet
Doo Town

Boing boing, NT
Bong bong, NSW
Diapur, VIC
Poowong, VIC
utensil wash, SA

Victoria's also got a Towong (Northern Vic - they've even got a racecourse) and Toowong is a suburb of Brisbane. Not far from Albury there's a Howlong.

In the Riverina there's a Grong Grong, a Matong and a Ganmain. I think their combined footy and netball teams are called "Ganmain-Grong Grong-Matong" (alphabetical order?).

Victoria's also got a Towong (Northern Vic - they've even got a racecourse) and Toowong is a suburb of Brisbane. Not far from Albury there's a Howlong.

In the Riverina there's a Grong Grong, a Matong and a Ganmain. I think their combined footy and netball teams are called "Ganmain-Grong Grong-Matong" (alphabetical order?).

I wanna play for grong grong now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back