Future Aussies

Remove this Banner Ad

idel one

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2008
Brisbane
Just been reading about the two Aussie under-age teams that have been named - sure some of the BF posters know a bit about these kids.

The 19s seem to have a few guys who are on the cusp of taking the next step or who have big wraps on them (ie Thornton, Doran, Page, Healy), while I guess for the 16s, it is all a bit of a lottery as to where they end up. Be interesting to see how they go playing up a year in the national 17s tournament this year.

I was over at Albion for a work conference the other day and the ovals and nets seemed to be full of people - I guess they were National Cricket Centre scholars, some U19s and Southern Stars plus various Queensland players doing pre-season.

There's an U-19 World Cup early next year so assume we will see a bit of youth action around the place.

Here are the squads anyway if you haven't seen them - cricket.com.au has some yarns up which is where I grabbed this stuff:

Australian U-19 Squad: Jordan Gauci (NSW), Caleb Jewell (Tas), Sam Harper (Vic), Jake Doran (Tas), Patrick Page (SA), Will Pucovski (Vic), Tom Healy (Qld), Jonte Pattison (ACT/NSWC), Jhye Richardson (WA), Henry Thornton (NSW), David Grant (SA), Liam Hatcher (NSW), Sam Grimwade (Vic), Arjun Nair (NSW), Ben Taylor (ACT/NSWC)

Australia U16 Squad: Bailey Dickinson (c, NSW), Aiden Bariol (NSW), Jason Sangha (NSW), Thomas Sowden (NSW), Austin Waugh (NSW), Joel Foster (NSW), Nathan Murphy (Vic), Will Sutherland (Vic), Zac Evans (Vic), Dean Elliott (Qld), Blake Edwards (Qld), Jarrod Freeman (Tas), Hamish McKenzie (WA).Standby: Fraser Ellis (Vic), Connor Thorn (WA), Bailey Capel (SA), Jack Edwards (NSW).

I was over at Albion for a work conference the other day and the ovals and nets seemed to be full of people - I guess they were National Cricket Centre scholars, some U19s and Southern Stars plus various Queensland players doing pre-season.

Yep, they were over there about 3-4 weeks ago, playing matches and training which led to the squad being selected.

A few bottom age U19's in that squad- I think a fair few U15's struggled with the heat in Darwin, nobody really stood out throughout the competition.

It's funny how a lot was made of Steve Waugh's son playing, Austin isn't a superstar- Waugh actually told reporters to go away not wanting the spotlight on his son...

Yep, they were over there about 3-4 weeks ago, playing matches and training which led to the squad being selected.

A few bottom age U19's in that squad- I think a fair few U15's struggled with the heat in Darwin, nobody really stood out throughout the competition.

It's funny how a lot was made of Steve Waugh's son playing, Austin isn't a superstar- Waugh actually told reporters to go away not wanting the spotlight on his son...

The 'National Performance Squad' was a 3 month camp, with some splitting off to go to England and India (bowling camp) at different stages. The Aussies were training with them before the Windies tour as well. It's just about finished. It's looks like they've changed the 19's squad a fair bit, probably dropping the older guys with an eye for the world cup in Bangladesh early next year (which I may go to).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back