Future direction of the board

We've had one of these before, just somewhere to discuss how we see the board and how we would like it to.

Anyway, this is what I'd like to see happen to the board.

The Terrace - Scrap it. No-one goes on there, and it just gives people excuses to censor anything remotely humourous on the main board. Bring it back if GB ever returns.

Club threads - No problem with club threads for discussing your own club. But for gods sake stop using your club thread as a means to take pot shots at other posters and clubs if you want to avoid said posters or supporters of other clubs from participating. At the moment we have the equivalent of someone throwing insults in the playground, and then running to the teacher when the target of the insults answers back.

Main board - Banter, pisstaking, humour isn't a bad thing. If you don't like a thread, or find it annoying to read don't read it. If you don't like a poster or find them annoying to read put them on ignore.

Discussion isn't a bad thing. Yes, even a lengthy discussion where people (shock horror) disagree with each other. Yes, no-one likes a bitchfest but lets not stifle genuine discussion while we are at it. No doubt there will be another hundred "have to have the last word" accusations, but even if that was the case "so ******* what"?

Criticism of your club isn't a bad thing. If you disagree with the criticism you can argue your point. It's a discussion forum, not everyone will agree with you.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Don't know if anyone else has ideas of there own, but I think the board could be improved a lot with a few changes, and a bit less sensitivity.

Main board - Banter, pisstaking, humour isn't a bad thing. If you don't like a thread, or find it annoying to read don't read it. If you don't like a poster or find them annoying to read put them on ignore.
Good in theory, however.

Say poster m is sick and tired of poster s
poster m in turn places poster s on the ignore list
if person s creates a thread, person m can not see said thread.

Say person s occasionally creates the weekly EPL threads. How will person m contribute to that thread when he may love the game and want to discuss it?

if you can't tell, m is Moomba and s is SM

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Club threads - No problem with club threads for discussing your own club. But for gods sake stop using your club thread as a means to take pot shots at other posters and clubs if you want to avoid said posters or supporters of other clubs from participating. At the moment we have the equivalent of someone throwing insults in the playground, and then running to the teacher when the target of the insults answers back.

Unless you're contributing something constructive, stay out of another club's thread.

There is only one club per club and we don't need it ruined by bitchfights.

Good in theory, however.

Say poster m is sick and tired of poster s
poster m in turn places poster s on the ignore list
if person s creates a thread, person m can not see said thread.

Say person s occasionally creates the weekly EPL threads. How will person m contribute to that thread when he may love the game and want to discuss it?

if you can't tell, m is Moomba and s is SM

I've had that before (it wasn't SM). Just click on the view ignored threads (or something like that) button at the bottom every now and then.

Nowadays I tend to use tapatalk, so the ignore function doesn't work anyway. I don't have anyone on ignore any more but just don't bother to read certain posters unless I'm inclined.

[edit]Just realised I hadn't quoted the post I was replying to[/edit]

Last edited:
See absolutely nothing wrong with the current setup. Not everyone has the time to sort through the crap they're not interested in. The AFL setup works well and this is a small version of it. No one's stopped from going to the terrace, everyone knows its there, maybe perhaps maybe most people can't be ****ed with immature banter, those that enjoy are free to do so. Guess what every AFL team board takes shots at other clubs and their posters why should it be any different here? Maybe if you don't like what's being said on other team threads you do what the majority do and don't go there?

There's plenty of other football forums with want you want, this has finally become ideal for what it is, a football board on an AFL board.

Unless you're contributing something constructive, stay out of another club's thread.

There is only one club per club and we don't need it ruined by bitchfights.

The club threads should be for discussion about the club.

If you want to slag off other clubs or posters then maybe the club threads aren't the best place for it.

I totally agree that if someone goes into a club thread just to slag off that club then it is unacceptable and they should be thread banned. Although I also think that the club threads should be for all BF posters, not just supporters of that particular club.

FWIW the current Liverpool discussion on clubs they hate most I don't consider as slagging off other clubs. I do note I got another mention though.

The club threads should be for discussion about the club.

If you want to slag off other clubs or posters then maybe the club threads aren't the best place for it. Just like the Norf board is for their posters. It's pretty clear and pretty consistent.

I totally agree that if someone goes into a club thread just to slag off that club then it is unacceptable and they should be thread banned. Although I also think that the club threads should be for all BF posters, not just supporters of that particular club.

FWIW the current Liverpool discussion on clubs they hate most I don't consider as slagging off other clubs. I do note I got another mention though.

There's a stickied thread clearly stating the team threads are for that teams posters. Just like the Norf board is for their posters. Pretty consistent and pretty clear.

Maybe if you don't like what's being said on other team threads you do what the majority do and don't go there?

I've never had a problem with something said on a club board.

If someone tags me, criticises me or talks about me I think I've got a right to participate in the discussion. If someone wants to talk about my club in another clubs thread and I have a contribution to make I don't think there is a problem with me doing so as long as I don't slag off the other club.

There's a stickied thread clearly stating the team threads are for that teams posters. Just like the Norf board is for their posters. Pretty consistent and pretty clear.

And this is a discussion for how we would like the board to be run. I think club threads should be for all posters, you disagree. Thats OK.

But say for example you have a discussion about James Milners role in your side (as there has been recently) I don't see why someone wouldn't be pleased to read a contribution from someone that has seen a lot of him and might have some insight.

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
The Terrace does need to be scrapped, its a graveyard for threads, which is a shame because you occasionally used to get something good on there. I think the board needs an alternative way of managing it, because I feel we're missing some of the banter around here. Maybe a thread prefix is an option, to differentiate terrace threads?

In any case its up to the mods, this is their territory.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Sometimes opposition supporters ask questions in the United thread. Nobody seems to mind. The on topic thread is good for that too.

Agree that the Terrace should get scrapped and banter should be allowed on the main board. If a thread is considered OTT the mods can sort that out, likewise if individual posters go too far. Good thread.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
The Terrace does need to be scrapped, its a graveyard for threads, which is a shame because you occasionally used to get something good on there. I think the board needs an alternative way of managing it, because I feel we're missing some of the banter around here. Maybe a thread prefix is an option, to differentiate terrace threads?

In any case its up to the mods, this is their territory.
Great call! A Terrace prefix on the main board would solve the problem.

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
If you want to slag off other clubs or posters then maybe the club threads aren't the best place for it.

Other supporters are welcome to contribute as long as they're respectful.

If I say Man Utd is s**t in the Arsenal thread (which I have repeatedly), I don't want Man Utd supporters coming in defending their club. Piss off and stay in your own thread. We're well within our rights to slag off other clubs among ourselves, justifiably or not.

Slagging off other posters is a different matter.

And this is a discussion for how we would like the board to be run. I think club threads should be for all posters, you disagree. Thats OK.

But say for example you have a discussion about James Milners role in your side (as there has been recently) I don't see why someone wouldn't be pleased to read a contribution from someone that has seen a lot of him and might have some insight.

There's no problem with that. I was under the view and I believe mods have mentioned it too that they are to be treated like the AFL club boards. So discussion is fine as long as it's not arguments that derail the thread whether they are reasonable or not. Back in the day a couple of posters would derail our thread for pages because of a couple of posters wanted to have a s**t fight that the rest of us had to read through. There's nothing stopping you from discussing teams on the mb, there's been quite negative threads on United, Arsenal, Liverpool and discussions about money there in recent times.

If I say Man Utd is s**t in the Arsenal thread (which I have repeatedly), I don't want Man Utd supporters coming in defending their club. Piss off and stay in your own thread. We're well within our rights to slag off other clubs among ourselves, justifiably or not.

I wouldn't bother going into another teams thread just because they said City was s**t (there was a bit of that the other day over the Gerrard song). Just no point really.

But if (for example) someone said something on their thread about City that I know to be inaccurate or untrue I think it's ok that I go on and offer a different perspective.

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
I wouldn't bother going into another teams thread just because they said City was s**t (there was a bit of that the other day over the Gerrard song). Just no point really.

But if (for example) someone said something on their thread about City that I know to be inaccurate or untrue I think it's ok that I go on and offer a different perspective.

You're missing the point entirely.

You're perfectly entitled to set things straight on the main board, but not on a club thread - let it be.

We don't need the club threads derailing into a shitfight, regardless if your point is perfectly legitimate.

I go into the Arsenal thread to discuss the club with my fellow supporters. Not argue with opposition supporters.

You're missing the point entirely.

You're perfectly entitled to set things straight on the main board, but not on a club thread - let it be.

We don't need the club threads derailing into a shitfight, regardless if your point is perfectly legitimate.

I go into the Arsenal thread to discuss the club with my fellow supporters. Not argue with opposition supporters.

I'm not missing the point, I disagree with it.

And I don't think there needs to be a shitfight just because an opposition supporter joins in the discussion on a club thread. We're (mainly) all adults, and if it gets over the top then the mods are there to take action.

But if you want to discuss your club on your own thread with your own supporters perhaps there are better places to be discussing the activities of other clubs.

I've blocked the posters who piss me off and it makes it a good place to be.

There's a difference between the people who annoy you and the ones you disagree with, by the way.

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
I'm not missing the point, I disagree with it.

And I don't think there needs to be a shitfight just because an opposition supporter joins in the discussion on a club thread. We're (mainly) all adults, and if it gets over the top then the mods are there to take action.

But if you want to discuss your club on your own thread with your own supporters perhaps there are better places to be discussing the activities of other clubs.

Fine - I do disagree with you then.

I must ask: why do you even bother even reading other club threads? I sure as hell don't.

If I wanted to read what other supporters wanted to me read, I stick to the main board.

Just as an example (forgetting the teams involved) the "would you let him on the tram" comment the other night was brilliant. I bet everyone there from both teams thought it was piss funny. If it was said as a joke in a pub it would get a laugh from everyone, no-one would be too bothered.

If someone posted it on a team thread I bet there would be someone that would take offence. And I bet there would be a complaint to the mod as a result.

Have we all got just a bit too sensitive on here?

Last edited:
Fine - I do disagree with you then.

I must ask: why do you even bother even reading other club threads? I sure as hell don't.

If I wanted to read what other supporters wanted to me read, I stick to the main board.

I like to read what people are saying about football. Have seen some very interesting things on club boards and have learned plenty about other clubs and football. I don't read them looking for comment on me or City, to me the whole point of going on a discussion forum is seeing discussion about football.

moomba has come into the Chelsea thread a few times and every time it's been to have a quick discussion or ask a question. Nobody minds at all, it's nice to have a place I guess where other supporters can come and ask a question or make a note of an impressive player or something and have the fans of that club right there to share their thoughts without oversaturating the main board.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Club threads should definitely be for that people who follow that club, or posters wanting to know info or praise a player etc. You don't go over to someone's house for and say the curtains are sh*t, the gravy with dinner was too salty & the wine was awful. Respect definitely needs to be shown in those threads even if they are slagging off your own team!

Ban knobs who don't follow a pretty self explanatory way of operating things

Back