Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopes really need to be tempered here that he'll stay. It would be beyond a miracle if he stays from this position. Much greater chance Leuey stays than Aish - he couldn't be much more gone than he is right now. Just hope everyone's aware of that and expectations are in check.

Without speaking for everyone (before I speak for everyone) I reckon Brisbane supporters are of the same (or similar) thinking to what you're saying - I feel like a lot the recent speculation is of the sarcastic and flippant kind rather than anything serious. The club has handled this as well as it could really, he's as good as gone to the supporters. It'd sure be nice to know for sure one way or the other but I don't blame him for waiting looking at Henderson.

I'd like him to stay, I really would. It'd be a big win for the club and I think he'll be a strong contributor wherever he ends up. But if he leaves and we look back on it as one of the catalysts for change with how our approach to drafting and player retention is handled (and the AFL assisting us with that) then that'll be a big win too, just not as immediate.

Alternatively we're still in the first of the five stages of grief and this thread is going to break the 1000 page mark :p

I'd like to know wether or not the recruiting and drafting team sound these young draftees out prior to being drafted as to wether they want to be in Brisbane or not to determine if they are likely stay with the club once their initial contract expires?

Hopes really need to be tempered here that he'll stay. It would be beyond a miracle if he stays from this position. Much greater chance Leuey stays than Aish - he couldn't be much more gone than he is right now. Just hope everyone's aware of that and expectations are in check.

You're just still sore about that other bloke... I forget his name... whatever happened to him?

Whilst I am 70% resigned to loosing him. The 30% says if we did resign him to a lengthy contract we will see the real James Aish on the footy park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he did re-sign I won't be to disappointed in that fact but more so that we are paying him 400k+... paying for POTENTIAL is always a risky move.

Every contract for a player or draft pick always has a massive component of "potential". Every club backs themselves in to get more out of every player they sign either directly or indirectly. That element you refer to is really the risk in every contract, so to hang Aish on "potential" is pretty unfair.

There may be other reasons for doubt, but potential is just part of the gamble of being a footy team.

Every contract for a player or draft pick always has a massive component of "potential". Every club backs themselves in to get more out of every player they sign either directly or indirectly. That element you refer to is really the risk in every contract, so to hang Aish on "potential" is pretty unfair.

There may be other reasons for doubt, but potential is just part of the gamble of being a footy team.
So you think it is fine to pay Aish 400k+ a year? Taylor who won the rising star would be lucky to get 250k a year... No way is Aish worth that much on what he has shown so far. Look I understand what you are saying and I agree but 400k+ is just stupidity.

So you think it is fine to pay Aish 400k+ a year? Taylor who won the rising star would be lucky to get 250k a year... No way is Aish worth that much on what he has shown so far. Look I understand what you are saying and I agree but 400k+ is just stupidity.

I wouldn't presume to believe that anything I read in the media regarding contract value is actually accurate. If the Lions present Aish or any other player a contract they clearly believe there is reason to do so. What that amount is and the conditions attached are nothing more than speculation.

Over 400 would put Aish in about the top 25% of the AFL. Would definitely be overpaid if the article is accurate and not overestimating the sum.

View attachment 167157
I know there are kids in the system that are just happy to be living the dream.

But how would you be if you were one of the two players earning less than 60k, looking at that list and thinking... well bugger me.

But how would you be if you were one of the two players earning less than 60k, looking at that list and thinking... well bugger me.
The two under 60k would likely be cat b rookies who aren't playing (maybe not even VFL/NEAFL level). The base rookie contract is under 60k but has match payments etc included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy that won the Recruit would most likely be the other one
Unlikely. He's on a cat b contract and he would be getting sanfl payments. Also, he played some NAB cup match payments so he'd be on more than 60k.

I'd suspect someone like Brad Harvey (even though it was a different year) would be an example of someone who earnt less than 60 as he was on the rookie list and didn't play any games due to a knee reco.

Ciaran Hanley quite possibly.

The guy that won the Recruit would most likely be the other one

They are 2014 figures so Cian wouldn't be there i don't think.

Not sure when the 'recruit' went on a list.

It also refers to them being 'primary list' and pre-season nominated rookies, ie rookies who have been nominated as eligible for senior games (i think) so it wouldn't be all rookies. I added up 719 numbers which works out at 40 per club. So i would suggest those last two would be players playing or eligible to play senior football and stand my my previous statement of ... well bugger me. :)

People like to point out how lowly paid some footballers are, and some are. On the other hand, this shows that 76% of them earn between $100k and half a million, and 60% earn at least $200k. Short career for some but a lucrative one.

People like to point out how lowly paid some footballers are, and some are. On the other hand, this shows that 76% of them earn between $100k and half a million, and 60% earn at least $200k. Short career for some but a lucrative one.

short career yes, but they hardly walk into the bread lines after retirement. Options outside of footy during and after their careers are pretty damn good these days

Last edited:
I'm still blown away that the average full-time wage in Australia is 80k. I'm struggling to find a job with my professional qualifications that will pay me half that much.

For most (Average) AFL footballers I imagine it is a reasonably tough transition into normal life.

They have ajob that probably earns them on average about $200K per year for five years.

I suspect very few of them obtain alternative qualifications or stidy duringt hat time so they get to their mid to late twenties, and even having built up connections most will be looking to take a 50% or greater pay cut for their first job after coming out. And nobody wants to know them two years later.

I'm not crying for them. There aren't many jobs where you can earn 200k per year before you are 25, but I do think that organisations like the AFLPA should spend more time educating players about the need to study and preare for life after football, and less time trying to get a slightly bigger slice of the media pie.

short career yes, but they hardly walk into the bead lines after retirement. Options outside of footy during and after their careers are pretty damn good these days

Yep, and people are kidding themselves if they don't think that a lot of loyal players are only "loyal" on the promise that they will receive extra gravy after they retire - outside the cap of course.

Yep, and people are kidding themselves if they don't think that a lot of loyal players are only "loyal" on the promise that they will receive extra gravy after they retire - outside the cap of course.

not only after... I would love to see an Audit of the off field Perks the players at Vic clubs get. Remember when the Pies tried to get Brown with the bonus of paid footy show appearances?

I'm still blown away that the average full-time wage in Australia is 80k. I'm struggling to find a job with my professional qualifications that will pay me half that much.
Time to sell the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back