Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we give him say a 2 year contract and then agree we'll trade him at the end of 2016?

This calls for my all-time favourite gif.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it-pelican.jpg

Yeah I do worry what we'd get for him next year.

He would be an out of contract player which means his worth has dropped significantly.

We'd be lucky to get a late first round early second round. ...

I still have hope he'll get back with the boys pre season... enjoy Brisbane again then re-sign.

Wow, we would get a top 10 pick at the very least, contracted or not.

Judging by the comments made to me by one of our listed players, whom I played juniors with, he seems to think that Aish is on his way out. Apparently doesn't get very involved and just looks disinterested in general. I'd say a definite 85 percent chance he's leaving.

Just looking back through Marco Paparone re-singing timing. First article from Emma Q, that he had said yes to another 2 years was July 31 2014 (after Round 18).

I think this year looks sooooo much later because everyone else except for Tom Cutler has committed.

They both could be doing nothing more than trying to improve their value and get a bigger contract at the end of the year.

Pickering will be advising to play the strong hand James has got (for his own benefit as much as his clients, don't forget he lost Buddy as a client and he's got to make up the shortfall somewhere).

I think if the media took a chill pill (never going to happen) we might all be less nervous as well.

For now the medium term future is looking good for our team and we can let the two boys decide if they want to be a part of it.

Some of the other re-signings might be asking their managers "so tell me why I signed so early, again?"

Out of Mayes and Aish I would rather lose Aish tbh. Mayes resigned for 3 years which is a good indication hes mature and in for the long haul.

Agreed. Mayes has a great attitude and is clearly going to stay in Brisbane long-term. Even more impressive because his girlfriend lives back home in SA.

Really hope people don't let all the Aish speculation get them down. So much to be positive about right now. Get your que sera sera on.

It wouldn't really bother me in terms of his ability and importance to the team, more so that it's roulette with players at the draft saying they are fine to move interstate when it's blatantly not true. Sometimes it works and they settle and sometimes they never adjust.

If we were to get their first round then I would think that it is quite equitable and soften the impact of losing him. Consequently the use of this first round pick be it either by trading or use in the draft will minimise such dissapointment and even possibly add to our team. I think that we have a seen the 'silver lining' with the 5 that left and I think that we are better placed because of it and we might just be again even further if Aish looks to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope people don't let all the Aish speculation get them down. So much to be positive about right now. Get your que sera sera on.
Totally agree. So many positives on so many levels. 12 months is a long time. I wouldn't have thought in my wildest dreams our club would traveling so well compared to where we were this time last year.

Wow, we would get a top 10 pick at the very least, contracted or not.

I share your optimism, but I think we would get the highest pick available to one of the SA clubs.

That could be a Top 10 pick, or it could not be. But it will be their first pick without a doubt.

Hopefully he doesn't be a tool and nominate a club, especially Port - because then we are likely looking at a pick in the late teens unless we can rustle a player out of them. Essentially, we would be in the same position Collingwood were with us, but they would have even less to offer as I doubt Adelaide or Port will finish bottom 5 next year.

Now is that Doris Day or Justice Crew, because if it is Doris im all over it.

I share your optimism, but I think we would get the highest pick available to one of the SA clubs.

That could be a Top 10 pick, or it could not be. But it will be their first pick without a doubt.

Hopefully he doesn't be a tool and nominate a club, especially Port - because then we are likely looking at a pick in the late teens unless we can rustle a player out of them. Essentially, we would be in the same position Collingwood were with us, but they would have even less to offer as I doubt Adelaide or Port will finish bottom 5 next year.
We'll likely be using our first round pick on Ben Keays won't we? If we get a second late first round pick would we be able to use this one on Keays?

We'll likely be using our first round pick on Ben Keays won't we? If we get a second late first round pick would we be able to use this one on Keays?

no, the bidding process would be before trade week I think. We would be committed to our first pick.

Depending on where we finish on the ladder, I'm confident we will get him with a 2nd rounder anyway.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-24/leigh-lethal-on-gohomers

After what Lethal said after the GH5 left, I'm sure we'd play "hardball" if any 2 year players try and nominate a club. I honestly think, that if a fair trade couldn't be reached, we'd say to Aish (or anyone else) "try your luck in the PSD, see if you slip through to Port's pick".

We don't get anything in return but we set a precedent for other draftees who get drafted by Brisbane and think "Oh well, it's only two years then I can go wherever I want". There'd be no more "take whatever we can get" mentality from the Lions.

I also agree with the person who said, if he doesn't sign or look like signing, pretty early in the season, let him play out the season out in the NEAFL. Why should the Lions help develop a player for another club. He's no Buddy Franklin or Gary Ablett, we will survive without him.

If he does go, it's not the end of the world. If anyone's tried to do their best 22 for round 1 next year, you'll realise just how much depth we've got now.

These are the players that I couldn't fit in my best 22:

Z. O'Brien - R. Bewick - T. Cutler - M. Robinson - N. Robertson - C. Beams - M. Paparone - M. Golby - M. Maguire.

All except Maguire would slot straight into Aish's role quite easily.

Long live the overrating of Academy Players! :p

People should just wait and see...its still 2014. Remember when Rich was taking to to sign on and was 100% certain to leave for the eagles in some peoples eyes? If he hasnt signed on by next winter ill start getting worried... He seems pretty happy at the lions so far

It's the dreaded "I want to put contract talks off to the end of the year" line I'm worried about.

If we hear it, our best response would be "I want to play you in the NEAFL until you decide. We want to get games into players who will be the Lions future".

Agree with Lethal's comments, but at the end of the day - if any of us really think homesickeness was the only reason the GH5 wanted out, then we are kidding ourselves.

We were a rabble, our players not playing senior footy were playing in a micky mouse sub standard NEAFL comp - we sacked our coach for no apparent reason, we had players billeted out to dysfunctional families etc etc.

Much like Beams wanting out of Collingwood, the GH5 just used the homesickness as a convenient excuse.

It's the dreaded "I want to put contract talks off to the end of the year" line I'm worried about.

If we hear it, our best response would be "I want to play you in the NEAFL until you decide. We want to get games into players who will be the Lions future".
Would be a great way to endear James to the coaching staff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back