Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the dreaded "I want to put contract talks off to the end of the year" line I'm worried about.

If we hear it, our best response would be "I want to play you in the NEAFL until you decide. We want to get games into players who will be the Lions future".
The problem with this is that people often change their mind.You kind of erase this possibility with that attitude.

Agree with Lethal's comments, but at the end of the day - if any of us really think homesickeness was the only reason the GH5 wanted out, then we are kidding ourselves.

We were a rabble, our players not playing senior footy were playing in a micky mouse sub standard NEAFL comp - we sacked our coach for no apparent reason, we had players billeted out to dysfunctional families etc etc.

Much like Beams wanting out of Collingwood, the GH5 just used the homesickness as a convenient excuse.
It wasn't so much the reason for leaving that bothered me. It was the demanding of where to be traded to. If they just wanted out because of those problems, then they should have been open to be traded anywhere, just to get away.

Instead they were allowed to chose their destination and we were forced to deal with just one club for each of them. They had only been at Brisbane 2-3 years and most had played hardly any games and they felt they could dictate to the club (and we let them) where they were going to be traded to, as if they were free agents. We won't (shouldn't) do that again.

It's the dreaded "I want to put contract talks off to the end of the year" line I'm worried about.

If we hear it, our best response would be "I want to play you in the NEAFL until you decide. We want to get games into players who will be the Lions future".

Exactly. Delaying contract talks is never good news. If he can't be swayed by the way the Lions have performed in the offseason then he will never be swayed IMO.

Would be a great way to endear James to the coaching staff...
"I want to put contract talks off until the end of the year" is code for "I've decided to leave". Why would we care about his career after that?

The problem with this is that people often change their mind.You kind of erase this possibility with that attitude.
Travis Cloke is the only one I can think of that's stayed after saying he wanted to delay talks. It's very rare that they stay.

But the good news is, he hasn't said it yet.

It really isn't. He has put them off until pre-season next year anyway, not the end of the year at this stage.
Exactly, I'm saying if at the end of pre-season he states he wants to delay talks again.

It really isn't. He has put them off until pre-season next year anyway, not the end of the year at this stage.

But what would change then? I don't get why the (minor) delay is needed. Pickering was with him and his family in Adelaide, they clearly have some kind of plan in place and just aren't being forthright with the club.

"I want to put contract talks off until the end of the year" is code for "I've decided to leave". Why would we care about his career after that?
Because the value for a trade would be heavily determined by his performance during the year, if he can't get a go in the firsts of a side that finishes 10th to 18th you won't get value heading back your way if he leaves.

Exactly, I'm saying if at the end of pre-season he states he wants to delay talks again.
The point still stands. We want to keep him so unless he says he is leaving I see no reason to treat him any differently. All that does is ensure he leaves on shitty terms which benefits nobody.

Travis Cloke is the only one I can think of that's stayed after saying he wanted to delay talks. It's very rare that they stay.
I'm not disputing it's more than likely he'll leave but if you want to do EVERYTHING in your power for him to stay you leave open the possibility he'll change his mind.

But what would change then? I don't get why the (minor) delay is needed. Pickering was with him and his family in Adelaide, they clearly have some kind of plan in place and just aren't being forthright with the club.
Who knows why, end of the day he is still contracted so we can see him in action next season and see where it goes after that. I'm none too concerned if he leaves as we can cover him now, though would love him to sign long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows why, end of the day he is still contracted so we can see him in action next season and see where it goes after that. I'm none too concerned if he leaves as we can cover him now, though would love him to sign long term.

It's more of a symbolic loss than one that will actually hurt the team should he go. It's just frustrating that recruits all say the same thing to clubs, that they will be fine moving interstate and it's always completely hit or miss. Mayes loves it here, Aish is still up in the air, Polec wanted to go home, Redden loves it here. Completely random.

How quickly things can change when/if we start winning a few games. We can't underestimate the power of a winning culture and a projection of a brighter future.
Esoecially if adelaide arent doing any good.

I would have thought "I've decided to leave, please trade me out" would have also been code for "I've decided to leave"...

...except we've seen numerous examples of players signing new contracts with clubs even after saying that - Brown (WCE) and ROK both leap to mind.

Because the value for a trade would be heavily determined by his performance during the year, if he can't get a go in the firsts of a side that finishes 10th to 18th you won't get value heading back your way if he leaves.
This is exactly the mentality I was hoping that Brisbane avoid. Worried about what we could get for him, rather than focussing on improving and developing the players that we have and want to stay.

IF (big IF) Aish is to leave, I don't care if we get nothing for him or where he goes if it means we can get those games into someone like Robertson or Cutler or give Golby a run through the middle and see how he goes there.

We have very good players who will play NEAFL this year, who would probably make other teams best 22s. If someone doesn't want to be there and we are playing him anyway, we're holding back the development of someone who is probably around the same mark in terms of ability and has committed to the club.

If it means we get a 2nd rounder instead of a 1st, I really don't care, the benefits the club will get from the extra experience of the guy that takes his place will be more beneficial than climbing a few spots in the draft.

I know we'll play Aish regardless of his contract status and I do hope he re-signs, but I hope we take a harder stance should he try and stuff the club around.
That and I want to see Robertson play more games next year. That bloke is quick, strong and ruthless. A bit bigger engine and he's just what we need.

End rant. I can see I'm on my own with this one.

It wasn't so much the reason for leaving that bothered me. It was the demanding of where to be traded to. If they just wanted out because of those problems, then they should have been open to be traded anywhere, just to get away.

Instead they were allowed to chose their destination and we were forced to deal with just one club for each of them. They had only been at Brisbane 2-3 years and most had played hardly any games and they felt they could dictate to the club (and we let them) where they were going to be traded to, as if they were free agents. We won't (shouldn't) do that again.

Totally agree. It's become far too prevalent league wide.

You should earn the right to pick and choose via free agency, otherwise - stick it out, or be traded where the club can get the best deal.

Our GH5 weren't the first example of this crap, nor were they the last.

How dare O'Rourke after 9 games in 2 seasons declare he wants to go to Hawthorn? FFS, I'm sure there are 300 other blokes that want to go to Hawthorn - pull your head in son!

Yet GWS just let him go for Pick 19 after taking him with Pick 2. Some dangerous precents have been set, and its hard to undo the damage.

We are definitely over-reacting here. Speculation in October can do nothing but damage.

I agree with others that the "I'll wait til end of the season" line is terminal news from a rookie, but we've ages to go before it comes to that. The other thing about statements like "if he hasn't signed by pre-season..." well isn't that just creating an imaginary deadline? Not unlike.....

I think I'm only going to start to worry about it around June next year. By then we've played half the season, have an idea of how successful the season is going, and then can properly assess whether we truly need him or not.

The other aspect is Adelaide are pretty much in turmoil at the moment. New coach, big question marks over their list... could he be earmarked to replace Danger? ... Despite his status in Adelaide, the Crows don't seem like a step up for him right now- he could always have that homecoming a few years later. Would he go to Port?

I get the feeling certain clubs really do feel "entitled" to players. Like Port and Ebert, Crows and Aish...

...Us and Beams...

True for sure, but it doesn't take into account the kid that has the balls to move away early, wants to be his own man, create his own legacy etc etc
History is just that, and fresh history is being made all the time.

If young James feels like he should be 'living up to the family name', that's his call and I will respect that either way, as long as he doesn't trash the club that had the guts and faith to draft and develop him. However, 'living up to the family name" doesn't necessarily mean he has to do that in Adelaide- that's the message I'd be telling him.

True for sure, but it doesn't take into account the kid that has the balls to move away early, wants to be his own man, create his own legacy etc etc
History is just that, and fresh history is being made all the time.

If young James feels like he should be 'living up to the family name', that's his call and I will respect that either way, as long as he doesn't trash the club that had the guts and faith to draft and develop him. However, 'living up to the family name" doesn't necessarily mean he has to do that in Adelaide- that's the message I'd be telling him.

We need to subtly remind him that the spotlight will be even harsher on him back in SA. SA fans are a lot more...Passionate I guess is the word, than Brisbane AFL followers. We are just happy to see our team play and are generally tolerant of players (Even Polks, Stiller, Shelden when they were here)

Back home though, if his form dips he can expect a huge write up in The Advertiser about his poor performances.

The bloke is 19 and trying to adjust to life in the AFL. Is it too hard to believe he just needs time to think about what he wants to do?

Not every draftee who doesn't re-sign in the first year is going to leave. It makes sense financially as well as for him mentally to wait another year and see how the season plays out.

I know we're scarred from Yeo and co but seriously, things are pretty great. Aish will figure out what he wants, until then just enjoy the massive steps we've taken in the last month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back