Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

But he couldn't of been injured for a whole 2 years. Even if he was injured, he still would've at least been added to the Scorpions squad, invited to the state combine or retained his spot in the AFL Academy. And also, even injured players are constantly being talked about. Other players in the past miss the entire year being injured but people still talk about them. I haven't seen 1 article or interview or any piece of media talking about this guy. It's almost as if he's non-existent cause no-one is talking about this guy whatsoever. And he was a former member of the AFL Academy. Usually anyone who's been through the AFL Academy are always talked about, even if they get cut, drop off, get injured or whatever. But I can't seem to find anything. If he was injured you would think someone would say something by now.

Looks as though he is a north Queensland boy , could be why he is off the radar.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=56358&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=24953069

http://islandermag.com.au/fileadmin/content/sport/Sport_-_School_sport_-_Didymus_Blanket.pdf

I think he might be like Josh Hall , a gamble rookie pick from the northern academy.

Last edited:
Looks as though he is a north Queensland boy , could be why he is off the radar.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=56358&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=24953069

http://islandermag.com.au/fileadmin/content/sport/Sport_-_School_sport_-_Didymus_Blanket.pdf

I think he might be like Josh Hall , a gamble rookie pick from the northern academy.
Blanket is Torres Strait Islander who was selected for 2013 Queensland 16,s from school football in Melbourne when at boarding school. Was only queenslander selected for NAB Academy from that carnival.
He played no football 2014 because he returned home for cultural reasons. Was subsequently dropped fron national academy.
Early 2015 (his draft year) he copped a bad leg injury and played no footy as result. Has been on coast at Academy all year doing rehab.
Think Suns have nominated him looking to have him considered as overager for upcoming -18,s team.
Given the football he has missed he should be given a chance (if in preseason form) ahead of others that are looking to be repeat squad members.
Guess we!ll find out soon enough.....

Just found out my Nephew and his best mate got picked up as level 1 players in our academy for next year. Both played well in the U14s and as underagers in the U16s. Clubs given them mentors and a 8 week preseason training program.

Connor is the younger brother of Dyson Budarick.

Blanket is Torres Strait Islander who was selected for 2013 Queensland 16,s from school football in Melbourne when at boarding school. Was only queenslander selected for NAB Academy from that carnival.
He played no football 2014 because he returned home for cultural reasons. Was subsequently dropped fron national academy.
Early 2015 (his draft year) he copped a bad leg injury and played no footy as result. Has been on coast at Academy all year doing rehab.
Think Suns have nominated him looking to have him considered as overager for upcoming -18,s team.
Given the football he has missed he should be given a chance (if in preseason form) ahead of others that are looking to be repeat squad members.
Guess we!ll find out soon enough.....

Thanks for the info mate. Couldn't find much about him when I tried. I'm just glad it was because of cultural and injury reasons rather than dropping off. As a former member of the AFL Academy this guy has huge talent, and I hope he gets drafted (either this year or next year). I'm sure he would make the scorpions squad as an over-ager next year over anyone else considering he was a former AFL Academy member.

Is his name really dydimus... The epidydimus is the anatomical name for little tube that connects your balls to... Well you get it o_O

So after a little digging I found that Didymus Blanket was actually in the level one AFL Academy last year but didn't make the cut this year. Unfortunately that's the only relevant information I can find about him. Southport are listed as his team but couldn't find anything about him on their website or the NEAFL website. He didn't make the Scorpions squad and wasn't invited to either the National or State Combine, which would make it seem that it's very unlikely for him to get drafted which is very bizarre considering he was a former member of the AFL Academy. But what's more bizarre is that the Suns nominated him for the draft. Does anyone know anything about him, cause to me I'm completely confused and can't find any relevant information about him (which is also quite weird considering he is a former member of the AFL Academy)

Also, speaking of the Combine, no-one from the suns academy was upgraded to the National Combine. We only have 3 players attending the State Combine, who are Dyson Budarick, Jesse Joyce and Max Spencer. So unfortunately it's probably unlikely for Connor West and Robert Blood to get drafted.

Didymus is an Islander boy who dominated as a bottom age under 16. Unfortunately he has a lot of trouble with commitment and has stood the academy up on a number of occasions and if not for his talent would have been given up on a long time ago I would say. At one stage while in the academy moved to Townsville to try and get into the Cowboys Academy where I think his true passion lies. Jason to his credit worked really hard with him and hopefully has him on track now, he was a powerful inside mid.

I know you boys are excited about Scheer but you should be super excited about Bowes, he has so much upside and is one of the smartest footballers I have coached. Reads the play well and has a defence first mind set and is a real team player, awesome kid. He hadn't played a game since early May before playing in the curtain raiser (after a knee scrape) and got the most possessions in 50% game time. Watch him play and you will see a little bit of Pendles in him.

Didymus is an Islander boy who dominated as a bottom age under 16. Unfortunately he has a lot of trouble with commitment and has stood the academy up on a number of occasions and if not for his talent would have been given up on a long time ago I would say. At one stage while in the academy moved to Townsville to try and get into the Cowboys Academy where I think his true passion lies. Jason to his credit worked really hard with him and hopefully has him on track now, he was a powerful inside mid.

I know you boys are excited about Scheer but you should be super excited about Bowes, he has so much upside and is one of the smartest footballers I have coached. Reads the play well and has a defence first mind set and is a real team player, awesome kid. He hadn't played a game since early May before playing in the curtain raiser (after a knee scrape) and got the most possessions in 50% game time. Watch him play and you will see a little bit of Pendles in him.
Thanks for the insight! Next year seems great for our academy.

Thanks for the insight! Next year seems great for our academy.
Yeah next year looks great with Bowes & Scheer. And hopefully Marsden & Didymus can get back on track too. All going well, we could potentially have 4 local players who are all former members of the AFL Academy on our list at the end of next year.

i think mt gravatt is in the lions den but i'll throw this one up anyway.

a kid called wiley buzza started playing AFL for the first time last season. just 16yo, he played 5 games for the local lockyer valley u16s side but was soon snapped up by the local Darling Downs Crows u18s side that went through undefeated in DIV 2 in 2012. wiley played all games once selected for the crows.

he is 6'5 (but hasnt been measured for 8 months) and was a rep player in RL and 4 other sports including swimming and basketball.

this season saw the DD crows disbanded. wiley has since signed with Mt Gravatt as its the closest club to his home town of Gatton. he still has 2 seasons of u18s in front of him...

his big mop of curly hair betrays the fact that he is a hard young kid in the mould of barry hall. his father was a rep RL player as a senior, and his mother was a state basketballer..his two sisters are state netballers.

already he bench presses more than his father ever could, and at a recent bonding session with the opens side he more than held his own sparring against many of the opens players even when it got willing. his dad being a former boxer did show wiley the basics as a kid, which would have helped.

wiley now loves AFL and should have a stellar year this season.

May be drafted this season...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afternoon guys. Quick question, did you guys ever confirm that Brad Scheer was eligible to be selected by the suns next year given he moved to the GC in 2012? of course given the 5 year rule he wouldn't qualify on time but I'm guessing if he moved at the start of the year he would have played 5 seasons by the end of next year. Just curious as to how motivated you will be not to bid on our guys this year. I'd imagine we'd wouldn't be bidding on each others players but you never know.

Afternoon guys. Quick question, did you guys ever confirm that Brad Scheer was eligible to be selected by the suns next year given he moved to the GC in 2012? of course given the 5 year rule he wouldn't qualify on time but I'm guessing if he moved at the start of the year he would have played 5 seasons by the end of next year. Just curious as to how motivated you will be not to bid on our guys this year. I'd imagine we'd wouldn't be bidding on each others players but you never know.

Confirm we have a freak of a player..
Shhh don't tell any1

May be drafted this season...
Buzza is apart of the Lions academy. He's been one of the best players for the scorpions this year both in the championships and TAC Cup. Strangely enough brisbane hasn't nominated for the draft so there's nothing stopping us from taking him if we want to.

I hope these kids are up to it. We put a fair bit of currency into next years draft so we can get them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back