Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Raines played all his junior footy for Palmy , sure there would be others.
He later switched to Southport though when he started taking footy seriously and wanted to be drafted. When you think about it, it's a bit of a shame that the Bad News Bears days at Carrara only really resulted in one father-son combination being Geoff Raines-Andrew Raines.
  • I know both Warwick Capper and Roger Merrett still live on the GC and Capper's son definitely played for Southport in his junior days but probably wasn't good enough to make it.
  • I don't think Merrett's son/s played football seriously.
  • Laurence Schache's son is coming through this year and is predicted to go top 2 but he didn't remain on the Gold Coast so there's no connection there.
  • I think Ashcroft has at least one son but, despite his strong connection with the Suns/Southport, the Lions would definitely father-son any of his offspring.
  • Mark 'Choco' Williams obviously went back to SA so his kids are off the table.
  • I'm not sure if Rocket Eade has kids but he ended up going back to Victoria so that's a no go.
  • Corey Bell and Matthew Kennedy both work with the Suns these days so that's a possibility if their kids play.
  • I know Steve McLuckie is still on the coast so that's another possibility.

Pretty much think Scheer will stay at Palm Beach.
But then againe'll prob play all the U18s comps etc
Wouldn't Scheer and Bowes continue to play NEAFL for the Suns when not on AFLQ u18's duty?
Scheer played 6 games last year, Bowes 1 , as under- agers. Think the club has a policy of having 4 NEAFL spots available for Academy players each week . You would think this pair , in their draft year, would fill 2 of those spots when available..

Big Roger's lad Ben has been playing for Southport Sharks for years. Bad run of injuries in his drafting years put clubs off picking him up.

You will find big Roger watching from the Sharks dining room windows every home game. Man of few words.

Wouldn't Scheer and Bowes continue to play NEAFL for the Suns when not on AFLQ u18's duty?
Scheer played 6 games last year, Bowes 1 , as under- agers. Think the club has a policy of having 4 NEAFL spots available for Academy players each week . You would think this pair , in their draft year, would fill 2 of those spots when available..

Depends if the Suns want them to go under the Radar or not..
If they continue to play seniors..
The Vic Clubs won't click on as quick

funny looking back at the first page of this thread, with lachie weller being in our academy and that we have priority access to him.

can't be bothered reading through this thread to find out, but anyone remember why this didn't eventuate?

funny looking back at the first page of this thread, with lachie weller being in our academy and that we have priority access to him.

can't be bothered reading through this thread to find out, but anyone remember why this didn't eventuate?

Had'nt spent long enough living on Coast

Hard not to get excited about Bowes when you read this:
Jack Bowes
187cm/76kg
DOB: 26/1/98
Surfers Paradise/Queensland
Midfielder

Bowes has the size and temperament to play in a number of spots. The rangey midfielder can be used in an inside role, but also on the wing or across half-forward, where his overhead marking comes to the fore. Bowes has great evasive skills in traffic and although not being exceptionally quick, he finds a way out of trouble whenever he's in it. Bowes is a member of the Gold Coast academy and looks likely to be the Suns' first top-line academy product.
187cm already and could potentially get even taller. I haven't really watched his highlights but it's almost like a reverse Goddard in playing style in that he plays on the inside but is like Goddard in that he's tall enough to play as a third tall/utility all over the ground. It's awesome that he was actually born and bred in Cairns too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hiding players is silly if they're academy. We get first crack regardless. Rather develop them appropriately and pay whatever price they end up costing than stifle their development by hiding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He later switched to Southport though when he started taking footy seriously and wanted to be drafted. When you think about it, it's a bit of a shame that the Bad News Bears days at Carrara only really resulted in one father-son combination being Geoff Raines-Andrew Raines.
  • I know both Warwick Capper and Roger Merrett still live on the GC and Capper's son definitely played for Southport in his junior days but probably wasn't good enough to make it.
  • Laurence Schache's son is coming through this year and is predicted to go top 2 but he didn't remain on the Gold Coast so there's no connection there.
  • I think Ashcroft has at least one son but, despite his strong connection with the Suns/Southport, the Lions would definitely father-son any of his offspring.
  • Mark 'Choco' Williams obviously went back to SA so his kids are off the table.
  • I'm not sure if Rocket Eade has kids but he ended up going back to Victoria so that's a no go.
  • Corey Bell and Matthew Kennedy both work with the Suns these days so that's a possibility if their kids play.
  • I know Steve McLuckie is still on the coast so that's another possibility.

I read that Will Ashcroft is being put in our academy so that the Suns and Lions will have to fight for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard not to get excited about Bowes when you read this:

187cm already and could potentially get even taller. I haven't really watched his highlights but it's almost like a reverse Goddard in playing style in that he plays on the inside but is like Goddard in that he's tall enough to play as a third tall/utility all over the ground. It's awesome that he was actually born and bred in Cairns too.

When he was awarded player of the carnival in the Queensland 15 and under Championships in Dalby a lot of the coaches said he reminded them a bit of Scott Pendlebury. Doesn't look fast or explosive but he always seems to have time, looks like he walks out of contested situations. He can play anywhere but they mention in that article he can play forward but I would say he's even better back and would play that intercept quarter back role well.

In the top photo a couple of posts back he's the lad in the top right next to the kid with the pony tail, that gives you an indication of his height.

He is a kid of very good character, he does well at school and comes from a good family, Scotty Clayton has rated him for a very long time and he will fit right in with the new culture that Eade is trying to introduce.

I read that Will Ashcroft is being put in our academy so that the Suns and Lions will have to fight for him.
I wonder which takes precedence - a father/son or an academy selection? Perhaps neither, in which case Ashcroft's son will get the choice and you'd think he would choose the Suns after spending years going through the academy. The Lions will not be happy!

When he was awarded player of the carnival in the Queensland 15 and under Championships in Dalby a lot of the coaches said he reminded them a bit of Scott Pendlebury. Doesn't look fast or explosive but he always seems to have time, looks like he walks out of contested situations. He can play anywhere but they mention in that article he can play forward but I would say he's even better back and would play that intercept quarter back role well.

In the top photo a couple of posts back he's the lad in the top right next to the kid with the pony tail, that gives you an indication of his height.

He is a kid of very good character, he does well at school and comes from a good family, Scotty Clayton has rated him for a very long time and he will fit right in with the new culture that Eade is trying to introduce.
Good stuff. If he's as good as they say, the Suns' midfield in 2017 (O'Meara, Prestia, Martin, Bowes, Swallow and Miller) could be one of the youngest and best midfields to ever take to the ground.

Good stuff. If he's as good as they say, the Suns' midfield in 2017 (O'Meara, Prestia, Martin, Bowes, Swallow and Miller) could be one of the youngest and best midfields to ever take to the ground.
don't get too eager :p

Anybody know anything about kids in the age group below Scheer and Bowes? Any potential in those kids?
I'm interested in this too. It was this time last year that we more or less identified the talent evident in Scheer and Bowes, and that was 24 months out from their draft year, so surely there are some more names slowly coming to light now!

Sorry Ben - pretty sure other clubs have already clicked - National Academy and all. . Seems we can't hide them so why not parade them ???

Don't want to stifle their development but hardly want to parade them and pay over the odds come draft night.

Would defeat the purpose of why we picked up Melbourne's 1st rd pick (top 3-7) if we only end up using it on an academy kid who ends up being rated 10-12 under normal circumstances but by pumping his tyres up we shoot ourselves in the foot.

We gathered a slew of 2nd rd picks to cover bids if they come in after Melbourne's bid and hopefully our pick (although the higher we finish up the ladder the more likely that we will be using that pick on an academy player so don't mind in that event).

Ultimately we can assess the draft landscape at the time and determine Bowes/Scheer's value relative to our 1st rd picks and do a Sydney/Brisbane/GWS and either trade for a future picks or trade down for lower multiple picks that give us more points.

I want my cake and eat it too - a top 7 player + the 2 academy picks.

Don't want to stifle their development but hardly want to parade them and pay over the odds come draft night.

Would defeat the purpose of why we picked up Melbourne's 1st rd pick (top 3-7) if we only end up using it on an academy kid who ends up being rated 10-12 under normal circumstances but by pumping his tyres up we shoot ourselves in the foot.

We gathered a slew of 2nd rd picks to cover bids if they come in after Melbourne's bid and hopefully our pick (although the higher we finish up the ladder the more likely that we will be using that pick on an academy player so don't mind in that event).

Ultimately we can assess the draft landscape at the time and determine Bowes/Scheer's value relative to our 1st rd picks and do a Sydney/Brisbane/GWS and either trade for a future picks or trade down for lower multiple picks that give us more points.

I want my cake and eat it too - a top 7 player + the 2 academy picks.

I'm greedy.. I want 2 top 12 picks plus Bowes and Scheer..
Similar boat to Brisbane.. This year..
Keays and hipwood were supposably top 12picks.. Drifted out later in the year. Kept there first round pick.

If we could keep our own first round pick plus Melbournes then use the rest of our picks on scheer and Bowes :)

Wowee :)

I'm greedy.. I want 2 top 12 picks plus Bowes and Scheer..
Similar boat to Brisbane.. This year..
Keays and hipwood were supposably top 12picks.. Drifted out later in the year. Kept there first round pick.

If we could keep our own first round pick plus Melbournes then use the rest of our picks on scheer and Bowes :)

Wowee :)

Good call - I'll have 2 pieces of cake and 2 academy kids please

I'm interested in this too. It was this time last year that we more or less identified the talent evident in Scheer and Bowes, and that was 24 months out from their draft year, so surely there are some more names slowly coming to light now!

There is a boy moving down to the Coast from Cairns next year by the name of Jacob Heron. Played state 15's and 16's and was named 2nd best in the state under 16's grand final. Played at the same junior club as Bowes (Cairns Saints) and also played in a senior flag this year. He has a lot of potential but not at the same level as Bowes was at his age but keep an eye on him because he's eager to learn and is athletically gifted. I think the move to the Coast will really help his development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back