Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you tigernova, but then again there is no perfect theory to the making of a champion.
Gary Ablett threw the game in when he was 16, because he wanted to surf and skate every day.
So he may have fitted the category, unmotivated to train etc etc. and it was more fun with his mates.
When he began playing with Geelong, he was still lazy at training etc, but some stern words from his Geelong Captain
certainly changed his attitude...resulting in a very nice outcome.

There are many very capable young footballers, in the Suns Academy under 18's, 2015 squad.
It is the year that sorts the men from the boys. When the going gets tough, the tough keep going.
The final Qld U18 team should be a ripper what with some excellent boys to come out of the Brisbane
squad as well.

Last edited:

Here's a little on Sheer.
Says he moved to QLD in 2012 so how long does he need to be in QLD to be able to be picked up as an acadamy player?
Will be 18 at the end of 2016 is 4 years enough to walk to the Suns

http://www.esperanceexpress.com.au/...ormer-esperance-footballer-has-scheer-talent/

Good luck, sounds a bit like O'Meara playing senior footy early.

If you ever get the chance to go to Esperance, do it, it is a amazing place.

I have some mates who would move there at a moments notice.

He moved into our zone in 2012
And think he gets drafted next year 2016,. So dont think we'll be able to have a free get at him with the academy rules..?
Looks like a Weller scenareo all over again..
Sunny..? Help, confirm?
His father seems to think he'll be eligible. Depends when he moved to the GC in 2012.

1. 2012
2. 2013
3. 2014
4. 2015
5. 2016

I have read that he's eligible, and he's one of the stand-out prospects at this stage. However, until the AFL confirm, I'm really unsure. Could be a Weller type situation all over again.

At that stage the bidding process will be vastly different, anyway.

Will be good to see him in our reserves this year , see what the hype is about , we could have a gem on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Scheer is not alone as a Qld. Under 18 standout..others to watch for are Bowse, Keays,
Matulas, Sheers, Mullins, Jackson....
Plenty of promising talent in the coming years!

Hopefully the GC academy will be the envy of the Victorians. I love stirring up Eddie.

Plenty of promising talent in the coming years!

Hopefully the GC academy will be the envy of the Victorians. I love stirring up Eddie.

Yes dont we all.
He has no consideration for a new club...
He is President of one of the oldest AFL clubs and thinks he is accountable for everything AFL in the nation.
The best scenario would be a Suns Premiership win over the Pies..any given year...

The best scenario would be a Suns Premiership win over the Pies..any given year...
Wouldn't that be great!

Or a top 8 consisting of only non-Vic clubs...

1. GC Suns
2. Sydney Swans
3. West Coast Eagles
4. GWS Giants
5. Fremantle Dockers
6. Port Adelaide Power
7. Brisbane Lions
8. Adelaide Crows

DAYLIGHT

18. Collingwood

Eddie would explode.

Wouldn't that be great!

Or a top 8 consisting of only non-Vic clubs...

1. GC Suns
2. Sydney Swans
3. West Coast Eagles
4. GWS Giants
5. Fremantle Dockers
6. Port Adelaide Power
7. Brisbane Lions
8. Adelaide Crows

DAYLIGHT

18. Collingwood

Eddie would explode.

I personally cant wait until there is more teams out of Melbourne than in it, once the interstate teams have the majority we will put an end to the Vicentric vision of the VFL oops sorry AFL.

Pretty sure that will never happen. Victoria is the original AFL state...
even tho interstate clubs have won many Premierships the past years.
Anyway, bring on the Suns.
Rodney Eade has a newbeaut game plan that sounds very impressive.

I personally cant wait until there is more teams out of Melbourne than in it, once the interstate teams have the majority we will put an end to the Vicentric vision of the VFL oops sorry AFL.
Already happened. 2003 AFL ladder:

1. Port Adelaide - 72
2. Collingwood - 60
3. Brisbane - 58
4. Sydney - 56
5. Fremantle - 56
6. Adelaide - 52
7. West Coast - 52

8. Essendon - 52

Finals matches:

Week 1
Fremantle def by Essendon @ Subiaco
Adelaide def West Coast @ AAMI

Collingwood def Brisbane @ MCG
Port Adelaide def by Sydney @ AAMI

Week 2
Brisbane def Adelaide @ Gabba
Port Adelaide def Essendon @ AAMI

Week 3
Collingwood def Port Adelaide @ MCG
Sydney def by Brisbane @ Docklands

Grand Final
Brisbane def Collingwood @ MCG

Here are the games by cities:

Melbourne - 4
Adelaide - 3
Brisbane - 1
Perth - 1

So Sydney finished top 4 and won in the first week of finals but were required to play a home final in Melbourne. The following year Brisbane was required to play a home final in Melbourne against Geelong which resulted in a lot of outcry and they amended their contract with the MCG. The current deal requires a minimum of 10 finals matches (not including the GF) to be played at the MCG every 5 years. Which means on average 2 finals at the MCG each year, not including the GF. So let's see how that has gone:

2005-09 - 20
2010-14 - 25

So it would appear there is no danger of having less than 10 finals matches being played at the MCG every 5 years. I believe the Etihad Stadium deal doesn't include any number of finals matches to be played but they will need to play at least 130 games there between 2010-2025. That shouldn't be a problem. So with the current contracts in place there really shouldn't be a situation in which Melbourne has to host more finals matches than any other city any given year.

Matchu I was referring to clubs in the league not top * finishers. Sorry I should of been more clear.

I am looking forward to the power base for decision making been NATIONAL instead of Victorians bitching about interstate issues such as
  • Lions 3peat (Vics remove the Living away from home allowance)
  • Swans win a flag (remove the COLA)
  • Swans get a good deal out of the draft academy (Vics talk the AFL into changing the rules)
  • Swans sign Buddy in a smart deal ( AFL bans them from the draft WTF)
Eddie everywhere has had a hand in all of the above, and the AFL has bowed to the media pressure. If there were more interstate clubs than Vic clubs and each had a vote, I would dare say knee jerk reactions like the ones above would be minimised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back