Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Made his presence felt in more ways than one . As you said kicked 3 of their 5goals Played second ruck role rested forward a fair bit. Is a big unit - may make Queensland team playing similar role as an over ager
Suggesting Wyllie knew he was heaviest and strongest player on the ground and wanted to show this. Got caught up in several shows of strength both on and off the ball that in my opinion detracted from his game a bit.
Don't get me wrong I think he has great potential - I saw him kick 5i in a senior QAFL match last year. Difference then he was a younger player among seniors so concentrated more on his role. He got sidetracked a little on the weekend I think.
By comparison to the Lions - our guys were a smaller group - but they were not intimidated in any way. They were far more prepared to run and their handball skills were far superior as was their decision making generally.
Lions blew their shots a goal in first quarter Suns scored theirs in the second . Brisbane system again fell down in the third -particularly forward entry.
Back on Wyllie - suggest he should get chance to play for Queensland because the team needs a player like him - prepared to compete hard . His physical assets will also help players around him - but needs to remain fully focussed .

Brandon's younger brother, Bailey Matera, made his WAFL League debut yesterday. More of a small midfielder than a forward though, unlike his brother. Do we complete the set?

2015 Scorpions squad:

Gold Coast zone (15)
Kurt Skuse (Broadbeach)
Eethan Reeves (Broadbeach)
Dyson Budarick (Labrador)
Jesse Joyce (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Curtis Marsden (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Bradley Scheer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Max Spencer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Robert Blood (Southport)
Harris Newton (Surfers Paradise)
Jack Bowes (Cairns)
Glendon Woosup (Cairns)
Connor West (Capricornia)
Josh Brown (Gladstone)
Cody Filewood (Mackay)
Jarrod Butler (Townsville)

Brisbane (15)
Sebastian Fahey (Ashgrove)
Jacob Allison (Aspley)
Wylie Buzza (Mount Gravatt)
Oliver Ritchie (Morningside)
Dylan Atkins (Redlands)
Ben Keays (Redlands)
Jonah Licht (Redlands)
Issac Corvo (Sandgate)
Corey Wagner (Sandgate)
Nate Dennis (UQ)
Nick Weller (UQ)
Aaron Maricic (Western Suburbs)
Mabior Chol (Yeronga)
Eric Hipwood (Caloundra)
Gareth Hunt (Caloundra)

Split evenly between the two academies. Interesting to see how many players are coming from south Gold Coast down at Palm Beach Currumbin. It's the highest level you can compete in down south so perhaps they'll tap into the Northern Rivers region in the future as that is also a part of the Suns academy zone.

2015 Scorpions squad:

Gold Coast zone (15)
Kurt Skuse (Broadbeach)
Eethan Reeves (Broadbeach)
Dyson Budarick (Labrador)
Jesse Joyce (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Curtis Marsden (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Bradley Scheer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Max Spencer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Robert Blood (Southport)
Harris Newton (Surfers Paradise)
Jack Bowes (Cairns)
Glendon Woosup (Cairns)
Connor West (Capricornia)
Josh Brown (Gladstone)
Cody Filewood (Mackay)
Jarrod Butler (Townsville)

Brisbane (15)
Sebastian Fahey (Ashgrove)
Jacob Allison (Aspley)
Wylie Buzza (Mount Gravatt)
Oliver Ritchie (Morningside)
Dylan Atkins (Redlands)
Ben Keays (Redlands)
Jonah Licht (Redlands)
Issac Corvo (Sandgate)
Corey Wagner (Sandgate)
Nate Dennis (UQ)
Nick Weller (UQ)
Aaron Maricic (Western Suburbs)
Mabior Chol (Yeronga)
Eric Hipwood (Caloundra)
Gareth Hunt (Caloundra)

Split evenly between the two academies. Interesting to see how many players are coming from south Gold Coast down at Palm Beach Currumbin. It's the highest level you can compete in down south so perhaps they'll tap into the Northern Rivers region in the future as that is also a part of the Suns academy zone.

There School down in Palmy (PBC) have a AFL excellance program going on , Scheer and co are products of the program , expect to see more in the future.

Mabior Chol (Yeronga)
What ethnicity is this bloke?

EDIT: From a Sudanese family. Arrived in Australia is a refugee with his family when he was eight. Has played Aussie rules basically since arriving in Aus.

What a success story! Hope he gets drafted!

EDIT 2:

* me, this is Mabior Chol next to Tommy Nicholls

10547714_672653969479764_1311035412555736266_n.jpg

What ethnicity is this bloke?

EDIT: From a Sudanese family. Arrived in Australia is a refugee with his family when he was eight. Has played Aussie rules basically since arriving in Aus.

What a success story! Hope he gets drafted!

EDIT 2:

**** me, this is Mabior Chol next to Tommy Nicholls

10547714_672653969479764_1311035412555736266_n.jpg

Brisbane acadamy?

There School down in Palmy (PBC) have a AFL excellance program going on , Scheer and co are products of the program , expect to see more in the future.
Yes but the school is more known for producing rugby league products. They are considered one of the best rugby league high schools in Australia and I'm fairly sure they've been crowned national champions several times. Having said that, Dayne Beams attended PBC so that's probably their biggest claim to fame in the AFL. Former Suns player Joel Wilkinson also went through the PBC AFL excellence program.

I guess this is the advantage of setting up a tiered system that takes into account geographical location. The level below NEAFL has Labrador (north), Surfers Paradise (central), Broadbeach (central) and Palm Beach Currumbin (south). IIRC the new NEAFL rules dictate that teams must abolish their reserves and u19 teams in order to allow non-NEAFL clubs to act as feeders. Southport players are also assigned a local club should they not be picked for the Sharks NEAFL side that week. So that should mean the GC Academy players each season mostly come from Labrador, Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach and Palm Beach because it's the highest level they can play without playing NEAFL. The geographical thing continues down to the next tier with Coomera (north), Robina (central-west), Burleigh (central-east) and Coolangatta-Tweed (south). The structure and pathway is all there.

Agree school has good program but Palm Beach club also needs acknowledgement for developing players.
Scheer , Joyce and Spencer all played regular QAFL league football last year under Darryn Cresswell and his then assistant Chad Owens ( now PBC senior coach ) . To get opportunities to play against men at such young age in a good team has helped develop these kids greatly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggesting Wyllie knew he was heaviest and strongest player on the ground and wanted to show this. Got caught up in several shows of strength both on and off the ball that in my opinion detracted from his game a bit.
Don't get me wrong I think he has great potential - I saw him kick 5i in a senior QAFL match last year. Difference then he was a younger player among seniors so concentrated more on his role. He got sidetracked a little on the weekend I think.
By comparison to the Lions - our guys were a smaller group - but they were not intimidated in any way. They were far more prepared to run and their handball skills were far superior as was their decision making generally.
Lions blew their shots a goal in first quarter Suns scored theirs in the second . Brisbane system again fell down in the third -particularly forward entry.
Back on Wyllie - suggest he should get chance to play for Queensland because the team needs a player like him - prepared to compete hard . His physical assets will also help players around him - but needs to remain fully focussed .

Great insight mate. Very constructive.

FYI

Good to see wraps on Connor West from Rocky. Coached him as a junior and is cracking kid. Hope he has another good year of development. Good luck to GCS this year. I was on the band wagon in their inaugural year when living in QLD before moving to NSW for the Giants' inaugural year. They hardly play a GCS game in NSW unfortunately.

Apparently still training with Queensland 18's though been injured and not played any games this season. Still hoping to make state championships next month though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back