Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth mentioning that Gladstone's Josh Brown booted 4 goals for Queensland two weeks ago against Gippsland in the TAC Cup. He is a Gold Coast Academy product and meets the five year academy drafting quota. Does anyone know how tall he is? If he's 6'3 or taller then I think he's definitely worth a look for the Suns.

OGO_13-04-2013_BACK_PAGE_01_GLA100413AFLL_4_fct954x587_t620.jpg

Josh Brown
Not sure how tall he is , looks a big lad but can be deceiving.

Well, Ablett may as well start kissing babies as well as doing the circuit. Perhaps he is getting into politics. He certainly isn't getting into football!
In all honesty, the season was probably gone once Gary pulled the pin after the losses to the Demons and the Saints. You've got him for at least another three and a half years. Don't you want Gaz to be ready before he returns? Bringing him back early this season would be an unncessary risk.

In all honesty, the season was probably gone once Gary pulled the pin after the losses to the Demons and the Saints. You've got him for at least another three and a half years. Don't you want Gaz to be ready before he returns? Bringing him back early this season would be an unncessary risk.
Its not early. 2 months ago doctors said the shoulder was structurally sound, he proved that by some knocks on it, and quit due to pain etc. 2months later, he refuses anti-inflamatories to speed recovery, refuses pain killers to allow him to play. I don't care if the takes the meds. Play through the pain then!

Its not early. 2 months ago doctors said the shoulder was structurally sound, he proved that by some knocks on it, and quit due to pain etc. 2months later, he refuses anti-inflamatories to speed recovery, refuses pain killers to allow him to play. I don't care if the takes the meads. Play through the pain then!
But what's the point? Why force your best player to play in pain against the Swans and Dockers? The chances of the Suns winning those games are remote, even with a fully fit Ablett. The team has been completely decimated by injuries and forcing your best player to do something he would really prefer not to do has the potential to cause disharmony.

Bringing him back in three and a half weeks against Carlton seems the much better option.

The Suns should have zone drafted Charlie Cameron who is now playing for Adelaide. He grew up in Mornington Island (far north west QLD) in the Suns zone and spent a few years in Brisbane before spending two years in WA developing his game in the WAFL. He is a Queenslander and I would have thought the Suns should have been able to zone him. Prodigious indigenous talent.

Will list the names that are in our Academy squad that have been picked in the under 18 carnival starting up , as one or two of these maybe rookied or may snag a postition on our list. I cant see anyone outside this list making it unless they have a big end to the season.

Ethan Reeves - 177cm - Broadbeach
Jesse Joyce - 180cm - Palm Beach
Cody Filewood - 184cm - Mackay
Dyson Buderick - 173cm - Labrador
Connor West - 184cm - Labrador
Curtis Marsden - 183cm - Palm Beach
Jesse Esam - 188cm - Broadbeach
Seb Fahey - 181cm - Broadbeach
Josh Brown - 182cm - Gladstone
Kurt Skuse - 193cm - Broadbeach
Robert Blood - 186cm - Broadbeach
Glenon Woosup - 180cm - Cairns
Harris Newton - 197cm - Surfers
Jarrod Butler - 181cm - Townsville
Max Spencer - 189cm - Palm Beach
Jack Bowes - 187cm - Cairns
Brad Scheer - 184cm - Palm Beach
Daniel Charlesworth - 189cm - Cairns

Think some of the games are being televised on fox footy.

Last edited:
Carnival dates are ,

Rd.1 QLD V NT - Southport Sharks , Sat June 20 12.30 , Live on AFL.COM
Rd.2 QLD V TAS - Simonds Stadium , Sat June 27 12.00 , Live on AFL.COM
Rd.3 QLD V NSW - Simonds Stadium , Thurs July 2 11.00 , Live on FOX FOOTY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games played to lead up

25th Apr

Queensland 1.3-9 3.8-26 5.10-40 7.13-55
Dandenong Stingrays 3.3-21 5.4-34 7.6-48 10.9-69
QUEENSLAND
Goal Kickers: C. Filewood 2, R. William , J. Butler , D. Budarick , C. West , E. Hipwood
Best Players: , C. Wagner , J. Joyce , E. Hipwood , D. Henderson , G. Woosup , C. Filewood
DANDENONG STINGRAYS

Goal Kickers: T. Young 4, J. Freeman 2, D. Warke , M. Poholke , Z. Roscoe , J. Di Pasquale
Best Players: , J. Weitering , B. Rice , T. Young , B. White , T. Jok , J. Bubb

9th May

Queensland 1.1-7 4.2-26 10.5-65 13.6-84
Gippsland Power 4.2-26 6.4-40 9.6-60 13.7-85
QUEENSLAND
Goal Kickers: J. Brown 4, W. Buzza 2, J. Allison 2, M. Chol 2, B. Keays , J. Licht , D. Budarick
Best Players: , D. Budarick , B. Keays , R. William , J. Brown , C. Wagner , J. Allison
GIPPSLAND POWER
Goal Kickers: H. McKay 3, D. Costigan 2, R. Hearn 2, T. Papley 2, T. Marsh , J. McMahon , K. Renooy , A. Ferreira
Best Players: , S. Skinner , N. Holmes , D. Costigan , H. McKay , J. McMahon , B. Dessent

30th May

Queensland 2.6-18 10.7-67 10.8-68 14.10-94
Oakleigh Chargers 3.2-20 5.3-33 8.7-55 13.8-86
QUEENSLAND
Goal Kickers: W. Buzza 5, C. Filewood 3, D. Budarick 2, C. Wagner 2, J. Allison , J. Brown
Best Players: , W. Buzza , E. Hipwood , J. Joyce , D. Budarick , C. Filewood , D. Watson
OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Goal Kickers: J. Ridley 6, T. Phillips 2, D. Beddison , K. Latu-Green , M. Young , J. Corboy , M. Jackson
Best Players: , J. Ridley , T. Phillips , F. Pearce , M. Jackson , M. Wenn , D. Beddison

Last edited:
Will list the names that are in our Academy squad that have been picked in the under 18 carnival starting up , as one or two of these maybe rookied or may snag a postition on our list. I cant see anyone outside this list making it unless they have a big end to the season.

Ethan Reeves - 177cm - Broadbeach
Jesse Joyce - 180cm - Palm Beach
Cody Filewood - 184cm - Mackay
Dyson Buderick - 173cm - Labrador
Connor West - 184cm - Labrador
Curtis Marsden - 183cm - Palm Beach
Jesse Esam - 188cm - Broadbeach
Seb Fahey - 181cm - Broadbeach
Josh Brown - 182cm - Gladstone
Kurt Skuse - 193cm - Broadbeach
Robert Blood - 186cm - Broadbeach
Glenon Woosup - 180cm - Cairns
Harris Newton - 197cm - Surfers
Jarrod Butler - 181cm - Townsville
Max Spencer - 189cm - Palm Beach
Jack Bowes - 187cm - Cairns
Brad Scheer - 184cm - Palm Beach
Daniel Charlesworth - 189cm - Cairns

Think some of the games are being televised on fox footy.

Of these only Budarick, Joyce , Filewood, Woosup and maybe West and Brown have had anything like regular representation in lead up matches. All the rest have either been looked at and rejected , been long term injured or are not in their draft year anyway.

Clearly the Suns Academy best performer to date has been Dyson Budarick who has been sharing on ball duties with Ben Keays. He also had 18 possessions in yesterdays NEAFL match against Sydney and should have been mentioned among the best in my view.

Who's that 16 year old that seems to regularly have a stint at those competitions before Suns home games? Apparently a part of our academy and the Suns seem to be constantly showcasing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's that 16 year old that seems to regularly have a stint at those competitions before Suns home games? Apparently a part of our academy and the Suns seem to be constantly showcasing him.

Thats under 16 academy players

Thats under 16 academy players
I'm talking specifically about one guy though. He was there pregame at the Lions and Crows game. I think maybe against Collingwood too.

Is 16 but has a moustache.

Would love to know who he is.

I'm talking specifically about one guy though. He was there pregame at the Lions and Crows game. I think maybe against Collingwood too.

Is 16 but has a moustache.

Would love to know who he is.

Do you remember what his first name was ? Was he tall ?

Do you remember what his first name was ? Was he tall ?
I honestly have no idea - maybe Brody or something? haha.

He was shortish (maybe 170cm-ish), tanned, brown hair, moustache - looked like an athletic midfielder.

EDIT: remember thinking he looked like a younger Andrew Boston lol

Budarick having another good game for QLD .

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Calder Cannons 4.3-27 5.6-36 7.9-51 8.11-59
Queensland 1.1-7 7.1-43 8.2-50 13.8-86
CALDER CANNONS
Goal Kickers: T. Young 3, J. Murphy 2, J. Owen 2, C. McRorie
Best Players: , B. Laguda , M. Stillman , J. Owen , T. Wallis , J. Flower , R. Baker
QUEENSLAND
Goal Kickers: C. Filewood 3, D. Budarick 3, C. Wagner 2, B. Keays , M. Spencer , W. Buzza , C. Marsden , R. Blood
Best Players: , C. Wagner , D. Budarick , B. Keays , A. Maricic , C. Filewood , N. Dennis

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...ueensland-outfit/story-fngnvocb-1227397054530

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back