MRP / Trib. Fyfe, Dawson facing suspensions..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, will do. Thank you.

No worries. You know where we live.

if anything, we're probably guilty of pushing stuff that embarrasses the AFL on occasion. Rompin' wins comes to mind...

I mentioned it somewhere else that Adam Schwab the Financial Director of the Crikey online news mob has done a fairly thorough and damning critique of the AFL and its management.Interesting in that he is not a sports journo.I subscribe so I'm not sure how you access their stuff?
Low readership so hardly going to be the catalyst for a Tsunami of discontent.
The game's increased profile and the electric-neon-marketplace also mitigate against meaningful change though.A bit like a popular franchise or tourist town,you can serve up s**t cos there's a new punter coming in the door who doesn't know maybe doesn't care.
I do think it's positive that Archer and Roo make their opinion known.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting that scon. :thumbsu:

Keeping incompetent administrations afloat as a way of encouraging a mindset of dependence on the AFL is another self-interested policy the author does not mention.

I think Demetriou’s follies in the Essendon and tanking affairs largely stemmed from arrogance and self-belief.

Agreed, though I think Demetriou's total lack of accountability was an even more significant enabler of those "follies" than self-belief.

Thanks scon. Liked this bit

The broadcast rights were a valuable asset — that much was obvious to anyone. Demetriou was no different to a vendor at a house auction who happened to have a bidder willing to shell out for a valuable asset.

The rise in the value of broadcast rights has been a global phenomenon since the early 1990s, largely spurred by Rupert Murdoch’s cable television interests across the UK and US. Price inflation for broadcast rights to the NFL, Premier League and the Olympic Games were courtesy of a willingness for broadcasters to pay a premium for live sports.

Or as said elsewhere.

Yeah Murdoch identified sport very early as the battering ram to get his overpriced package of horseshit into our loungerooms.
Initially I was appalled at the notion of pay TV for sport;then I was one of the first in the area to subscribe and have had it for about 15yrs.
Dislike Murdoch/like sport:eek::rolleyes:.

Who are you?

Yeah, I don't know so much. I'm of the opinion, as I discussed with Clay earlier today, that the perfect storm is coming the AFL's way, with the public's anti-AFL sentiment and cynicism at an all time high , and all that is needed is a catalyst to set it off.

What that catalyst will be remains to be seen, but this type of thing is just increasing the pressure. It may be the final outcome of the "supplements" fiasco, or the current uproar about ticket prices in Victoria. However, I feel sure that it will happen shortly, especially if the media gets on board and keeps stirring the pot and mobilising the general public nuff-nuffs.
The storm is coming the AFL's way but it will blow over once Vlad leaves. It's like changing the PM, the new person always gets a bit of leeway for the first few years while they make changes.

An accident in a physical contact sport? Quick someone needs to be punished, we can't have that sort of thing happening.
Barlow's out because of an attempted smother that was 1/2 way up his leg,Keplar copped a year if there's no further problems.Anyone remember Joel Smith from Hawthorn's completely buckled knee;Menegola was bloody lucky a fortnight ago.
Any smother which touches the body cops weeks;you know it makes sense.:rainbow::rainbow::thumbsu:

Yeah Murdoch identified sport very early as the battering ram to get his overpriced package of horseshit into our loungerooms.
Initially I was appalled at the notion of pay TV for sport;then I was one of the first in the area to subscribe and have had it for about 15yrs.

Great work posting that scon, and I am re-subscibed afetr letting it fold when I went overseas.

Bloody well written and so true.

I'm in a s**t-stirring mood, so when my Viet slavedriver gives me a spare moment I am going to attempt a little something on BF for people to get behind.

probably won't work because most people are nuff-nuffs.

The Murdoch thing is also a paradox for me. I have withheld on pure principle from resubscribing to Foxtel for the footy so far, but he really does have us by the short and curlies in oz. The prick.

The storm is coming the AFL's way but it will blow over once Vlad leaves. It's like changing the PM, the new person always gets a bit of leeway for the first few years while they make changes.

I see what you're saying, but for me it depends upon who they appoint.

If it is Brendon Gale for example, (and I have nothing against him as an administrator), or even Brian Cook, (who I admire greatly), it will just confirm that the AFL is a boys club where nepotism is rife and secularism rules.

We really need someone from the outside, and preferably overseas, to take a new broom to the current bullshit and set this game back on course for the football fans.

You don't have to have played footy, or even understand the rules, to be an effective administrator of the code.

Barlow's out because of an attempted smother that was 1/2 way up his leg,Keplar copped a year if there's no further problems.Anyone remember Joel Smith from Hawthorn's completely buckled knee;Menegola was bloody lucky a fortnight ago.
Any smother which touches the body cops weeks;you know it makes sense.:rainbow::rainbow::thumbsu:

We all know that this is rigididge
Fyfe was advised he should have attempted to smother instead of the bump
He bloody should have .He would be playing this week and Riccitelli would be sitting at home have rehab on his stuffed knee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know that this is rigididge
Fyfe was advised he should have attempted to smother instead of the bump
He bloody should have .He would be playing this week and Riccitelli would be sitting at home have rehab on his stuffed knee

And therein lies the utter friggen stupidity of this nanny-state bullshit.

I see what you're saying, but for me it depends upon who they appoint.

If it is Brendon Gale for example, (and I have nothing against him as an administrator), or even Brian Cook, (who I admire greatly), it will just confirm that the AFL is a boys club where nepotism is rife and secularism rules.

We really need someone from the outside, and preferably overseas, to take a new broom to the current bullshit and set this game back on course for the football fans.

You don't have to have played footy, or even understand the rules, to be an effective administrator of the code.
Overseas? No chance. There would be a huge public backlash. They have to know the game.

I think Gale or Cook would be fine since they've come from a club. I just don't want to get Gillian or someone else from the Ivory Tower.

Overseas? No chance. There would be a huge public backlash. They have to know the game.

I think Gale or Cook would be fine since they've come from a club. I just don't want to get Gillian or someone else from the Ivory Tower.

And nothing would change mate. And why do they have to know the game? They do, however, have to know business.

They were a band made upon 3 bar chords Status Quo.

BHP Billiton et al hire people from all over the globe to inject fresh blood and ideas into their business, so there is no reason why the country's biggest sporting institution can't do the same.

Stuff the punters and the backlash, most of them couldn't find their own arse with two hands and a GPS. They'd forget about it after 6 minutes of Home and Away anyway.

Don't think the NRL were too happy with the 'to and from' Dave Smith initially but seem to be warming;he's a straight,corporate suit I think.
The Ivory Tower candidates arrive with 'grooming stains'.:eek:
Do you have a spare GPS sliced??

Last edited:
I went from having Foxtel to an AFL subscription on mobile. I'm perfectly happy watching the games on an iPad when they aren't on free to air and its a truckload cheaper than Fox. Much happier not to be putting Money in Murdoch's pocker.

And nothing would change mate. And why do they have to know the game? They do, however, have to know business.

They were a band made upon 3 bar chords Status Quo.

BHP Billiton et al hire people from all over the globe to inject fresh blood and ideas into their business, so there is no reason why the country's biggest sporting institution can't do the same.

Stuff the punters and the backlash, most of them couldn't find their own arse with two hands and a GPS. They'd forget about it after 6 minutes of Home and Away anyway.
My thought are that the issues arise when the Administrators focus on business rather than the love of the game and what has made it. It's an emotional product and it should be run with that in mind instead of just normal business ideas.

Money - check
Safety - check
Public perception - check

They try and focus on these things but it all falls back to money. Something bad for the money pile, then they do what they think will solve it like moving a game, knee jerk reactions to an incident or trend. They think tinkering is managing when it is slowly destroying the fabric, tear by tear.

I went from having Foxtel to an AFL subscription on mobile. I'm perfectly happy watching the games on an iPad when they aren't on free to air and its a truckload cheaper than Fox. Much happier not to be putting Money in Murdoch's pocker.
Did the same. Telstra, the lesser of two evils.

Now I just have to figure out a way to still access if when I go overseas.

My thought are that the issues arise when the Administrators focus on business rather than the love of the game and what has made it. It's an emotional product and it should be run with that in mind instead of just normal business ideas.

Money - check
Safety - check
Public perception - check

They try and focus on these things but it all falls back to money. Something bad for the money pile, then they do what they think will solve it like moving a game, knee jerk reactions to an incident or trend. They think tinkering is managing when it is slowly destroying the fabric, tear by tear.

I see what you are saying, however there will always be some inherent bias and pre-conceived ideas from those who have a strong previous connection to the game.

The ability to disconnect, or have no connection at all to the emotion of the game is an asset which most don't appreciate enough.

Good CEO's can stand back and analyse the fiscal, practical and emotional aspects of a business, (with the proper advice of course), and make the correct decisions without their mind being clouded by previous perceptions or bias.

just my thoughts.

All I can say is Fyfe got rorted, I don't trust the MRP. Walker made contact to Westhoffs head and then his head hit the ground in rd 1 and it didn't even get looked at.

Zac Dawson got caught in a Buddy-like DDT attempt... by Nicholls I think (?). Not even looked at.

Matera charged Fyfe front-on in a marking contest, no eyes for the ball... just the man. Hit him hard enough that he looked hurt for a while. I was worried about his shoulder. Not even looked at.

It's the inconsistency with the stuff they miss that really p*sses me off. That, and the fact that the MRP rarely say why they've ignored the incidents that they've let slip by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back