Fyfe - how many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the appeals board change the charge like the tribunal can or do they just rule on the appeal?

If they can change it there is a chance the contact could be upgraded from low impact to medium impact. This would make it 3 weeks, or stay at 2 if they somehow got reckless instead of intentional. Lewis was a bit groggy and had to go off and he is a bit of a hard nut. I think the original impact deliberations would have been borderline low/medium and they gave Fyfe the benefit of the doubt.
He wasn't groggy. He was surprised and wondering who hit him, but that's about all.

You don't take someone off the ground and assess them because they were surprised.
Perhaps they were unsure of the extent of his surprise and needed to conduct a surprise test, or perhaps his contorted facial expressions convinced them as much as it did you.

Whatever the reason, it wasn't necessary. He was completely unaffected and went on to dominate.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Perhaps they were unsure of the extent of his surprise and needed to conduct a surprise test, or perhaps his contorted facial expressions convinced them as much as it did you.

Whatever the reason, it wasn't necessary. He was completely unaffected and went on to dominate.

So did Drew Petrie!!!

I think the problem for Freo is he has admitted to intentionally striking Lewis. That he meant to go low and missed is probably irrelevent I would think.

I think this is the point to challenge. He admitted to intentionally making contact, not to a strike. This admission was taken as admission of a strike so the appeal was dismissed by the head honcho. Freo will surely argue the movement was not a strike. I'm not saying we are likely to succeed.

If the force of the hit is such that Fyfe's fist can ricochet off of Lewis' shoulder (if you believe Fyfe's version of events) and hit Lewis with sufficient force for him to need to leave the ground, even though the laws of physics state that most of the energy/impact would have dissipated at the first point of contact...it's a strike.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He was off the ground before they showed the footage of his facial expressions.
Most Freo people are arguing that Lewis saw Fyfe's arm coming and lifted his own arm to deflect it so his reaction can't have been surprise.
He came off because he was shaken up and groggy.

He was off the ground before they showed the footage of his facial expressions.
Most Freo people are arguing that Lewis saw Fyfe's arm coming and lifted his own arm to deflect it so his reaction can't have been surprise.
He came off because he was shaken up and groggy.
Yeah, OK. I guess you'll be one of the strong advocates for keeping him out of this week's game in case of delayed concussion then?

I've just watched it again and to me it looks like he's just acting out to justify going to ground looking for a kick.

Yeah, OK. I guess you'll be one of the strong advocates for keeping him out of this week's game in case of delayed concussion then?

I've just watched it again and to me it looks like he's just acting out to justify going to ground looking for a kick.
You're absolutely embarrassing yourself now.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Lewis was definitely dazed after Fyfe struck him so it was a decent blow, he ended up playing on but that doesn't mean he wasn't affected by it.

I'm still struggling to see how Freo can argue this down to less than 2 weeks, it looks pretty cut and dried to me and one of the few suspensions from the MRP that actually seems sensible.

All I can say is "LOL"

:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Last edited:

Armadeo

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got what he deserved. Not much else to say.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
Embarrassing week for Freo. What a utensil-up from the top down.

How the hell was it embarrassing, we rolled the Hawks, Fyfe was offered 2 they argued, lost and got 2.

He is not a spiteful player and had every right to appeal. Lewis has stated it surprised him, I guess he is not used to return fire after he gave Fyfe a sly whack.

No embarrassment whatsoever, just following the process

Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
How the hell was it embarrassing, we rolled the Hawks, Fyfe was offered 2 they argued, lost and got 2.

He is not a spiteful player and had every right to appeal. Lewis has stated it surprised him, I guess he is not used to return fire after he gave Fyfe a sly whack.

No embarrassment whatsoever, just following the process

We were , What is the point of having a tribunal if they don't get to adjudicate on the offense?

Back