• Clarko

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
so the Age old question, " is it the players that make the coach, or the coach that makes the players " ? so I'm putting the question to my fellow Big footy followers. Fyfe and Clarkson for most are regarded as the best player / coach in our game right at this moment. So picking only one of these two who and why will they help us for the ultimate success.

I believe that Fyfe will help us, with our list profile where it is at the moment Fyfe coming in is of the perfect age, he Adds that extra Elite midfielder and he can very easily go forward and alternate with pendles with both having good height up forward.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clarko by a mile.

He is the main reason the Hawks are the best modern team EVER!

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Clarkson by the east coast to west coat of Australia.

If we get Clarkson, we'd be winning multiple flags within 3 years easily. EASILY. He started from NOTHING with Hawthorn and had a Premiership in his 4th year. Now has another 3.

Given what he'd be starting with at Collingwood, I'd be shocked if we didn't win a flag by his second or third year at the Club.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clarko by a mile.

If you believe that, and i respect your opinion, i do have some real estate i need to offload.

As Leigh Matthews has said when asked about what he learnt in twenty years of coaching:
If you have the players you can coach, if you dont have the players you cant...

A BIG Fyfe for me.
If we had Fyfe today in our side, assuming fully fit, we'd go top 4

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Fyfe, imagine a team of his ability in different sizes.
22 Fyfe type players could coach themselves.

A champion team over a team of champions.

Daicos_35

Senior List
Sep 24, 2003
AFL Club
Collingwood
62031703.jpg

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you believe that, and i respect your opinion, i do have some real estate i need to offload.

As Leigh Matthews has said when asked about what he learnt in twenty years of coaching:
If you have the players you can coach, if you dont have the players you cant...

A BIG Fyfe for me.
If we had Fyfe today in our side, assuming fully fit, we'd go top 4

I am pretty sure the Great Leigh Mathews had the same players at his disposal as the previous coach to him when he took over the Lions.

I wonder what made them make four grand finals in a row???? (I know the extra $ helped)

Leigh Mathews (1990) or Fyfe in (2015).........Give me Lethal any day of the week.

Last edited:

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fyfe is a star but still only one player. Clarkson has taken his teams to the big show many times and won most of them.
The important part is that he has been able to change his coaching strategy slightly from year to year and still come up with gold.
A coach who can evolve with the times and in some cases change the way the game is played to suit his style, is worth his weight in gold.
And with Clarko's size, possibly twice his weight in gold.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clarkson by the east coast to west coat of Australia.

If we get Clarkson, we'd be winning multiple flags within 3 years easily. EASILY. He started from NOTHING with Hawthorn and had a Premiership in his 4th year. Now has another 3.

Given what he'd be starting with at Collingwood, I'd be shocked if we didn't win a flag by his second or third year at the Club.

Players dont magically become better players.

Coaches are important, integral etc
BUT last time i saw a coach kick the ball their name was Jesaulenko you beauty and Malcolm Blight.
All jokes aside, Clarkson as good as he is, gained via the draft and trading Roughead, Franklin, plus Hodge Mitchell Riolli and Lewis. On this he built multiple flags.
Yes he is astute but Ross Lyon is a beauty as well and flags, 0!
Paul Roos a beauty as well a flag with Sydney and set up Longmire too but at Melbourne? Not as good.
Thompson at Geelong took 8 years and bilt a wonderful dynasty.

The great one Ron Barassi took Carlton to the promised land, he was filled with stars, same with North and got flags. melbourne same coach nothing.

If we had Clarkson, shock horror, he'd do what Buckley is doing and build the list.
Remember in todays environment you can only build slowly a few to several in at a time.
If Hawthorn was not bottomed out pre Clarkson and say they were medium level then and didnt have high picks getting Roughead Franklin there would be no dynasty.

Otherwise the messiah complex would have worked for Carlton

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am pretty sure the Great Leigh Mathews had the same players at his disposal as the previous coach to him when he took over the Lions.

I wonder what made them make four grand finals in a row???? (I know the extra $ helped)

Leigh Mathews (1990) of Fyfe in (2015).........Give me Lethal any day of the week.
Yes, you make a good point but Brisbane was in turmoil with Merret and that had a major impact.
Weideman at Collingwood was no coach BUT Buckley is more than adequate. Personaly i think he is in the better than average rank, but thats just me. He is footy smart, has authority, is the boss, and has direction.

Merret was a big mess that Leigh cleaned up and gave brisbane direction, authority, and Leigh WAS the boss.
That said he still had the best players in his squad.

Interestingly with out Leigh Matthews we DONT! win in 1990 as he got the best out of that team. Agree there.
But as we have a fine coach give me Fyfe any day as side improves big time, plus even less attention to Pendles as an example.

Clarkson goes tomorrow to Melbourne taking over from Roos, five years plus before we see anything there

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interestingly with out Leigh Matthews we DONT! win in 1990 as he got the best out of that team. Agree there.
But as we have a fine coach give me Fyfe any day as side improves big time, plus even less attention to Pendles as an example.

Clarkson goes tomorrow to Melbourne taking over from Roos, five years plus before we see anything there

What Leigh did at the Pies (& Lions) IMO Clarkson has surpassed!

I am glad you agree that without THE COACH (Lethal) we would not have won in 1990.........that is the reason Clarko is a mile ahead of Fyfe THE PLAYER!

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Players dont magically become better players.

They actually kinda do. Much of that can be attributed to the coach. The coach creates an environment, the coach is who impacts the players the most emotionally. Clarkson has created an environment at Hawthorn that players are thriving in, which is creating success, which is in turn creating a Club outside players WANT to be in.

It's hard to argue our coach is doing the same. I don't see too many players scrambling to play for Collingwood for unders. Will that come in time? Perhaps, but given the number of players actively wanting to leave Collingwood over the last 4 years, I'm not holding my breath.

Don't get me wrong, the first few years Clarkson was at Hawthorn, outside players weren't falling over themselves to play for Hawthorn like they are now. But you know what? They also weren't falling over themselves to leave like they are at Collingwood over the last few years.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What Leigh did at the Pies (& Lions) IMO Clarkson has surpassed!

I am glad you agree that without THE COACH (Lethal) we would not have won in 1990.........that is the reason Clarko is a mile ahead of Fyfe THE PLAYER!
Interesting take, i do respect your opinion.

I actually think what Leigh did for us and then Brisbane surpasses Alistair, as was harder task. The whole Collingwood thing was incredble and then turning brisbane around.
At least clarkson has had a club used to / expecting to win and off he went. I totally respect and praise to the hilt his attitude and focus to build his list his way.
Outstanding achievement to be sure.

But the question was if today we could get Fyfe or Clarkson id take Fyfe in a heart beat as im not into the messiah thing, but thats just me.

Note its because i rate Buckley he is very good.
I recall how close Calarkson was to getting the bullet pre2008 and if that happened nobody today would be saying lets get Clarkson. He was given time, that GF win helped him as well, had they lost the GF he was likEly gone soon after. Fickle game footy, now he is rightly untouchable.

Lets hope in a few years Nathan B is considered an elite coach!

Clarko by a mile.

Surprised you haven't converted to Hawthorn by now.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting take, i do respect your opinion.

I actually think what Leigh did for us and then Brisbane surpasses Alistair, as was harder task. The whole Collingwood thing was incredble and then turning brisbane around.
At least clarkson has had a club used to / expecting to win and off he went. I totally respect and praise to the hilt his attitude and focus to build his list his way.
Outstanding achievement to be sure.

But the question was if today we could get Fyfe or Clarkson id take Fyfe in a heart beat as im not into the messiah thing, but thats just me.

Note its because i rate Buckley he is very good.
I recall how close Calarkson was to getting the bullet pre2008 and if that happened nobody today would be saying lets get Clarkson. He was given time, that GF win helped him as well, had they lost the GF he was likEly gone soon after. Fickle game footy, now he is rightly untouchable.

Lets hope in a few years Nathan B is considered an elite coach!

Jeff Kennett saying Clarko should be sacked doesn't mean "he was about to get sacked". You are re-writing history I think.

Is Hawthorn's Culture a winning one?.....Definite. Was it when Clarko took over?.....NO. If I could find an article I read with Clarko I would post it to prove my point.

Can you imagine if the Hawks had another $600,000 or $1,000,000 (equivalent today) to pay for players :eek:
That is the reason IMO Clarko is better than Leigh.......he has done it without assistance or a SUPER TEAM (Lions was the best I have witnessed in my time)

As for Bucks I will leave it for the other thread :cool:

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprised you haven't converted to Hawthorn by now.

Sorry to disappoint you but I was born a Pie and I will die a Pie........that is my destiny!!!

I know I sound like a broken record but my dream is for the Pies to be better than the Hawks.......I guess we will see.

Back