Fyfe out of IRS

Remove this Banner Ad

You want that....the players in the team want to play IR and represent their country and it's endorsed by the Governing Body....so really game over.

What the haters want is irrelevant, his point is spot on.

The only way this dies is if the fans reject it or the players dont want it. This series is looking like neither of those is likely soon.

No of course we wouldnt. However I dont want him choking on a apple either, perhaps we should ban fruit?

Fyfe's a big boy and the medicos are not going to allow him to take any risk, if he can play he will and if he cant he wont.

Random acts of God we will just have to hope do not occur.

Are you serious? You don't want your best player who is under an injury cloud playing in a series that has been nearly dead for years. If it was State of Origin then it would be another story.

Are you serious? You don't want your best player who is under an injury cloud playing in a series that has been nearly dead for years. If it was State of Origin then it would be another story.

Deadly serious.

If he is under an injury cloud they wont play him, if it is a tweak and he is deemed fit by the medico's and he chooses to run out - yep I want him playing.

What the large anti-IR group here have to understand is your opinion as valid as it is, is just that .....your opinion, don't confuse it with fact. I want to go and support Australia in the hybrid game. I want Australia to put out its strongest and most committed team ...not by race, not by club dictating which scrubs go ...the best players who want to be there.

The fact the game is nigh on a sellout should tell you that not everyone thinks as you.

Deadly serious.

If he is under an injury cloud they wont play him, if it is a tweak and he is deemed fit by the medico's and he chooses to run out - yep I want him playing.

What the large anti-IR group here have to understand is your opinion as valid as it is, is just that .....your opinion, don't confuse it with fact. I want to go and support Australia in the hybrid game. I want Australia to put out its strongest and most committed team ...not by race, not by club dictating which scrubs go ...the best players who want to be there.

The fact the game is nigh on a sellout should tell you that not everyone thinks as you.

Fair call, although opinions do go both ways. I never said Fyfe shouldn't of been eligible to play in the first place. Only that after he got injured in training he should be pulled out of the series. He's our best player FFS and he has injured his AC joint.

Fair call, although opinions do go both ways. I never said Fyfe shouldn't of been eligible to play in the first place. Only that after he got injured in training he should be pulled out of the series. He's our best player FFS and he has injured his AC joint.

I can respect that.

FWIW - cant see him playing.

We all know the IR series was bog awful for a fair while but imagine if we really hammer them this time, with basically an all australian side. Irish are proud they will comeback snarling next time and the whole thing will start to mean something. I think an Irishmen on bigfooty said they werent bringing their All Irish side because of some reason, if we show great effort maybe they will next time. Maybe just maybe we will have a vaguely interesting international week for AFL. I was in Belfast about 8 years ago and heaps of Irish people were keen to talk about IR back then, there is potential in it.

Yeah that could work, but that would be done on the sly, like how they tried to justify the Skilled stadium thing in 2013. I wonder though if this Fyfe wanting to play, club not letting him, would maybe get a more public response from the AFL. It may well be a load of s**t though, with no truth to any of it.

Skilled was not punishing us, it was holding us in contempt.

Un-Australian.
I thought this was a joke until I read the rest of the thread.

If he pays taxes, lives or was born here, has the emblem on his passport, and votes in our elections, then supporting Ireland in a pissy, meaningless sport does not detract from that in the slightest. Australianism does not correlate to your interest in ultimately pointless sports. Do you think all our greatest thinkers were all about Ricky Ponting's arrogance and sooking? Are our finest artists, intellectuals, scientists – the real assets – believers in this jingoistic nonsense?

If supporting a team with yellow and green means you're an Australian, then every prick in capsized boats and dingy detention centres would be rallying cringeworthy cries of "oi oi oi" and going on about Mark Bresciano to live here. Alas...

I thought this was a joke until I read the rest of the thread.

If he pays taxes, lives or was born here, has the emblem on his passport, and votes in our elections, then supporting Ireland in a pissy, meaningless sport does not detract from that in the slightest. Australianism does not correlate to your interest in ultimately pointless sports. Do you think all our greatest thinkers were all about Ricky Ponting's arrogance and sooking? Are our finest artists, intellectuals, scientists – the real assets – believers in this jingoistic nonsense?

If supporting a team with yellow and green means you're an Australian, then every prick in capsized boats and dingy detention centres would be rallying cringeworthy cries of "oi oi oi" and going on about Mark Bresciano to live here. Alas...

I supoort your right as an Australian you be UnAustralian or UltraAustralian. Though Jackie Lambie can eat a dick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because it is a sellout, doesn't mean a lot. How many people live in Perth? And how many follow Aussie Rules? It's not hard to cobble up a bunch of them with a passing interest in the novelty factor, who will go because there's nothing better to do. Half the crowd are probably going to be Irish as well. Doesn't hurt that the "hybrid" is basically 80% Gaelic football.

The AFL players themselves would be more interested in the training sessions and getting to hang around with other elite athletes, a chance that would only happen if State of Origin existed. Once it comes to the game itself, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give a s**t. The Irish lads are probably looking forward to a nice junket filled with beaches, booze and women.

Think of it this way ... if the game wasn't being played at all, would anyone care? Would there be any large campaigns to bring it back? The answer is no, and that's why saying it is pointless/meaningless is far closer to a fact than opinion. Unfortunately, serious injuries are the only truly meaningful outcomes that could arise from the game.

Just because it is a sellout, doesn't mean a lot. How many people live in Perth? And how many follow Aussie Rules? It's not hard to cobble up a bunch of them with a passing interest in the novelty factor, who will go because there's nothing better to do. Half the crowd are probably going to be Irish as well. Doesn't hurt that the "hybrid" is basically 80% Gaelic football.

The AFL players themselves would be more interested in the training sessions and getting to hang around with other elite athletes, a chance that would only happen if State of Origin existed. Once it comes to the game itself, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give a s**t. The Irish lads are probably looking forward to a nice junket filled with beaches, booze and women.

Think of it this way ... if the game wasn't being played at all, would anyone care? Would there be any large campaigns to bring it back? The answer is no, and that's why saying it is pointless/meaningless is far closer to a fact than opinion. Unfortunately, serious injuries are the only truly meaningful outcomes that could arise from the game.

If they don't give a s**t ....why are they playing :drunk:

Would have loved to have seen Fyfe play and especially after a couple of the players said he was our best player in the trial game. No Fyfe = little interest for me.

there's something a bit off about so many supposed 'fans' of Fyfe taking joy from something the kid would be genuinely gutted about.

if an athlete wants to represent his country, support that. injuries can happen anywhere, anytime. it's not the same thing as mucking around on a trampoline.

Funny was talking to some recently arrived Irish friends the other day and they were saying that over there they call this hybrid game "Aussie Rules" cos it basically is like playing our game, other than the round ball, the 'unders' and the square pitch.

there's something a bit off about so many supposed 'fans' of Fyfe taking joy from something the kid would be genuinely gutted about.

if an athlete wants to represent his country, support that. injuries can happen anywhere, anytime. it's not the same thing as mucking around on a trampoline.

Yeah I dunno about that, I liken it to a father celebrating his daughter breaking up with a dickhead boyfriend. She'll be cut up over it but he thinks it will be best for her. It's hardly malicious.

I woulda loved to have seen him play though but ultimately it's an unnecessary risk averted, Freo have made the prudent decision and you can't fault them for that.

Yeah I dunno about that, I liken it to a father celebrating his daughter breaking up with a dickhead boyfriend. She'll be cut up over it but he thinks it will be best for her. It's hardly malicious.

I woulda loved to have seen him play though but ultimately it's an unnecessary risk averted, Freo have made the prudent decision and you can't fault them for that.

Oh man, spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back