Fyfe trip to cost him the 2015 Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

He would have been the only player this year TO get rubbed out on a tripping charge

Even under the old system the normal penalty was a reprimand and carry over points

What is going on in this thread?!

Consistent by the MRP this year and a fine was the logical result

However last year - it would have been a week with Fyfe's record and the base loading of 125 would have cost him any chance of a brownlow

He got lucky in that respect. As football fans we don't want

a) players being suspended for that
b) losing prestigious honours for minor incidents.

Right result here. Although I thought it was intentional there was not much force/impact and certainly not malicious. Carry on. Glad he will play next week and still in running for brownlow.

Consistent by the MRP this year and a fine was the logical result

However last year - it would have been a week with Fyfe's record and the base loading of 125 would have cost him any chance of a brownlow

He got lucky in that respect. As football fans we don't want

a) players being suspended for that
b) losing prestigious honours for minor incidents.

Yeah I know and I agree that this system is much better, particularly with minor incidents

But people are acting like everyone always gets suspended for tripping and Fyfe is the first man ever to escape suspension. My point was it was perfectly normal for people to escape suspension for tripping under the old system

distin fletch got 2 weeks for an ankle tap using his hand. so no it wouldn't have been a reprimand

Fletcher got 2 weeks because of (I assume) loading and carry over points. An average player with no record or carry over points would have got a reprimand

Yeah I know and I agree that this system is much better, particularly with minor incidents

But people are acting like everyone always gets suspended for tripping and Fyfe is the first man ever to escape suspension. My point was it was perfectly normal for people to escape suspension for tripping under the old system

Fletcher got 2 weeks because of (I assume) loading and carry over points. An average player with no record or carry over points would have got a reprimand
it was before the new system came in

Thats nice

I know there are a lot of details but I am pretty sure the summary is that he was PROVEN INNOCENT !!!!

Escape suspension.. yes. Retain Charlie eligibility... no

The issue wasn't whether Fyfe missed a week, rather if he lost his brownlow eligibility

Based on the ratings given by the MRP - fyfe would have lost chas eligibility last year - no question.

I think it's time for the AFL to drop the 'fairest' out of the Brownlow, just call it the best player.
This would save them the embarrassment when they try and justify 'eye-gouges' and 'sweep kicks'.

Escape suspension.. yes. Retain Charlie eligibility... no

The issue wasn't whether Fyfe missed a week, rather if he lost his brownlow eligibility

Based on the ratings given by the MRP - fyfe would have lost chas eligibility last year - no question.

Yeah that's true

Setting aside the issue about the brownlow eligibility though, I'm just a little bemused by all the moral grandstanding of people saying that a trip should be automatic suspension, when in actual fact they wouldn't give a s**t about it if it wasn't Fyfe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's true

Setting aside the issue about the brownlow eligibility though, I'm just a little bemused by all the moral grandstanding of people saying that a trip should be automatic suspension, when in actual fact they wouldn't give a s**t about it if it wasn't Fyfe

I think there is a difference between a trip by leg and a trip by hand

Had Stevens had meaningful forward momentum, then yep I would have wanted a suspension.

Hodge was done on the "potential to cause injury"

Tripping a player by leg has the ability for some very severe injuries when someone is on the run. By hand... not so much

I think there is a difference between a trip by leg and a trip by hand

Had Stevens had meaningful forward momentum, then yep I would have wanted a suspension.

Hodge was done on the "potential to cause injury"

Tripping a player by leg has the ability for some very severe injuries when someone is on the run. By hand... not so much
Hodge hit the bloke with an elbow to the face. Fyfe slipped in attempting to smother and tried to rebalance.

Not even in the same universe. Hodge is a dog, Fyfe isn't.

Unfortunately they have been letting intentional trips go with a $1000 fine all season.
Consistent but wrong imo
Players get absolutely demonised if it looks like they aren't trying to win the ball. Is it so hard to imagine them tripping their opponent in the heat of the moment? "He's getting away, ah s**t, grab his ankle, got it! Oh whoops why did I do that?"

Hodge hit the bloke with an elbow to the face. Fyfe slipped in attempting to smother and tried to rebalance.

Not even in the same universe. Hodge is a dog, Fyfe isn't.

My god you are touchy..

So an off the ball hit makes you a dog eh? Isn't that what Fyfe did last year?

Yes Fyfe slipped - but that doesn't change the fact he deliberately kicked a bloke.

And no I wasn't comparing the incident to Hodge's at all - merely saying had Stevens been on the run (he wasn't) then the "potential to cause injury" as applied in the Hodge case could and should be applied

My god you are touchy..

So an off the ball hit makes you a dog eh? Isn't that what Fyfe did last year?

Yes Fyfe slipped - but that doesn't change the fact he deliberately kicked a bloke.

And no I wasn't comparing the incident to Hodge's at all - merely saying had Stevens been on the run (he wasn't) then the "potential to cause injury" as applied in the Hodge case could and should be applied
Mate, you feel fit to comment on Fyfe in just about every thread, about how he can't kick, isn't that good, doesn't deserve coaches votes, could have caused injury, etc. If there's a thread on Fyfe we can be pretty sure The Falcon Strike will weigh in downplaying him.

If anyone is touchy, it's you.

Hodge hit a bloke with intention. Fyfe's leg had no potential to cause injury, no more than any tackle or bump.

The slip and sweeping action were essentially under a second apart from each other.

The sweep was likely a reflex due to the combination of a) slipping and b) having the mentality of getting in the way of your opponent so he doesn't run around you.

Looked way worse than it was, and was in no way intentional. He barely had time to think before he was on his ass after slipping. If he didn't slip, he wouldn't have sweeped - a fairly important thing to consider.

Sensible decision, no way deserving of a suspension. Especially under the new rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back