Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
The AFL site was saying Sandi is on a $1mil a year, only half counted due to veterans list

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the current veterans list rules only allow for $100k of salary per veteran player to be outside of the cap? Or have they been changed again recently?

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the current veterans list rules only allow for $100k of salary per veteran player to be outside of the cap? Or have they been changed again recently?

Sandilands and Pav's contracts were signed before the Veterans rule change, so the old rule was allowed to continue until the end of their contracts.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-21/1million-boys-down-to-five
Sandilands was widely tipped to be in the top bracket of earners after qualifying as a veteran in 2013 and benefiting from the old veterans' payment system, which allowed half his salary to fall outside the Dockers' cap.

there was a graph awhile back which had Freo paying the most on veterans in the comp, as we signed sandi/pav/mcpharlin up before the rules changed.

once that all expires Freo will be doing alot of reshuffling

At the end of the 2014 our qualified veterans for the 2015 season could be Pav, Sandi, McPharlin, Crowley, Johnson, Mundy and Duffield potentially allowing for $853,412 to be paid outside the salary cap. There shouldn't be that much restructuring needed.

The AFL will sort their rules out ............................. by 2050 ... :rolleyes:

The current push by them to abolish the Veteran's rule is diabolical, we should be encouraging our veterans to play on, which would not happen because of club initiatives if the AFL successfully got rid of it. ... :thumbsdown:

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
The AFL will sort their rules out ............................. by 2050 ... :rolleyes:

The current push by them to abolish the Veteran's rule is diabolical, we should be encouraging our veterans to play on, which would not happen because of club initiatives if the AFL successfully got rid of it. ... :thumbsdown:

In my opinion, the rule should come into line with the requirements of unrestricted Free Agency, so a club can offer a player an extra $100,000PA as a bonus for being loyal to the team that drafted them.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
He will stay. There'll be plenty of cash with Sandi and Pav coming to the end.

If he did move, it would be for a massive big money offer.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Fyfe just reminds me so much of James Hird. His ability to get the ball when he has right to it is incredible. Phenomenal player and easily the most underrated player in the AFL today. He will get a massive offer from somewhere come years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
He's just waiting to see what Mundy does. If Fremantle win the flag, I think Mundy will leave which means a lot more money for Fyfe.

democritus

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's just waiting to see what Mundy does. If Fremantle win the flag, I think Mundy will leave which means a lot more money for Fyfe.

You can add Pavlich and McPharlin to that too. If we win a flag and they retire on a high note, even more is left to negotiate with. Sure, their new contracts wouldn't be anywhere near as lucrative as previous ones but they won't be paid peanuts regardless of whether it's a one year extension

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
fyfe will finish his career at freo no doubt about it will be on a million a season next contract to , mundy i"m not so sure if he can get $200 000 more at another club for his last contract i'd say he would almost take it , freo's premiership window is wide open this year but 2015 i'm not to sure

Possibly - but the thing everyone forgets is Mundy is married to a Perth girl and has a young child - family pull will always be to remain in WA because of it. They have also got extensive business interests and life setup here for the long term - would take a hell of a lot more to move Mundy than a player that is single and wanting to move home.

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle

Why, whether a player plays should be totally on their merit and contribution to the team, not because they are a veteran. Remember that for every player on a list, it precludes another from playing AFL. So if a veteran (or over paid long term contracted past it player) is on a list it is preventing a young player from being listed and playing AFL - there is a limit on the number of players.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
The rumour is that one club has offered $1.1 million, Freo have started the bidding at $600 000. I expect Freo realise that around $800 000 to $850 000, is where they will end up.

Now if only we can fix him up with a well paid job as "Environmental Ambassador for the Wheatbelt".

I think we all know who that club is too...
How can they be paying 3players over a mil a season is Fyfe leaves is beyond me...

Why, whether a player plays should be totally on their merit and contribution to the team, not because they are a veteran. Remember that for every player on a list, it precludes another from playing AFL. So if a veteran (or over paid long term contracted past it player) is on a list it is preventing a young player from being listed and playing AFL - there is a limit on the number of players.

I see it as a output vs cost issue

If the vets rule vanished I believe Fletcher from the Bombers would have been delisted long ago because someone younger could be seen as giving the same output for the same dollars.

But because we have the vet rule Fletcher comes out in front of that same guy because he is cheaper.

Look at when the crows delisted Ben Hart, now that bloke loved them, but it reached a point where they could no longer justify his cost, without the Vet rule that would have happened a season or two earlier, which IMO would be a loss for our sport.

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I see it as a output vs cost issue

If the vets rule vanished I believe Fletcher from the Bombers would have been delisted long ago because someone younger could be seen as giving the same output for the same dollars.

But because we have the vet rule Fletcher comes out in front of that same guy because he is cheaper.

Look at when the crows delisted Ben Hart, now that bloke loved them, but it reached a point where they could no longer justify his cost, without the Vet rule that would have happened a season or two earlier, which IMO would be a loss for our sport.

Yep, I totally understand what you are saying and agree to a large extent. But it is still worth considering that players should really play on a level playing field - output v cost basis. It is in effect precluding a young player that provides a better cost/benefit solution (domino effect to others recruited) from playing the game at the level and thus possibly other stars. What you are effectively saying is footy wants fewer stars that play longer years. I would prefer more opportunity for players to play AFL, thus probably ending up with more stars, but playing less years on average. Otherwise it starts to reek a bit of an "old boys club", selection based on past and mates, not current ability. Naturally all within the cap limitations rules which you are stating.

I am stating this from an ideology point of view - naturally right now I am VERY pleased that Pav and Sandi are covered under the old Veteran rules due to when their last contracts were done saving Freo mega $ these last few years :D

Yep, I totally understand what you are saying and agree to a large extent. But it is still worth considering that players should really play on a level playing field - output v cost basis. It is in effect precluding a young player that provides a better cost/benefit solution (domino effect to others recruited) from playing the game at the level and thus possibly other stars. What you are effectively saying is footy wants fewer stars that play longer years. I would prefer more opportunity for players to play AFL, thus probably ending up with more stars, but playing less years on average. Otherwise it starts to reek a bit of an "old boys club", selection based on past and mates, not current ability. Naturally all within the cap limitations rules which you are stating.

We are on the same page, but maybe I like to see the loyal vets be able to hang around a year or two longer and get rewarded for the loyality.

I also like to see the juniors come through, they are what refreshes our competition.

I guess I like the balance we enjoy at the moment.

I am stating this from an ideology point of view - naturally right now I am VERY pleased that Pav and Sandi are covered under the old Veteran rules due to when their last contracts were done saving Freo mega $ these last few years :D

Yep, yas slipped that one or two in ... ;)

I have always felt that veterans deserve something back from the game for their longevity.

I would like to see Veterans to not be a part of the salary cap and squad size. Maybe at a max. of 2 per Club.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I still dont think Fyfe will leave. I dont see why he would. Why would he leave while freo are good? I dont recall any WA based Eagles players leaving when they won Flags in 1992 and 1994.

Mundy might, Freo have a history of recruiting Victorian players and letting them go back their home state.

I still dont think Fyfe will leave. I dont see why he would. Why would he leave while freo are good? I dont recall any WA based Eagles players leaving when they won Flags in 1992 and 1994.

Mundy might, Freo have a history of recruiting Victorian players and letting them go back their home state.

Do we? Who exactly are you referring too?

Jess Sinclair
Heath Black

Remove this Banner Ad

Back