Fyfe's contract talks on hold at Fremantle

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still dont think Fyfe will leave. I dont see why he would. Why would he leave while freo are good? I dont recall any WA based Eagles players leaving when they won Flags in 1992 and 1994.

Mundy might, Freo have a history of recruiting Victorian players and letting them go back their home state.

Forget home state. This isnt the 90s anymore. Money talks. Buddys parents and family moved to Melbourne years ago and Hawthorn won the flag. But he still left for money.

Ablett grew up in Geelong, was royalty in that town. And Geelong were a top side and GC a minnow. But he still left for money.

Ward, Scully etc didn't go to GWS for family or premierships. They left for money. Tippett and Mitch Clark said they wanted to go home but instead made detours for money.

I have no view on whether Fyfe will stay or go. But if a club is willing to throw ridiculous money at him - and he and Dangerfield next year are the types of players clubs would throw ridiculous money at - a good side like Freo with too many other gun players may not be willing or able to match the offer. Like plenty of other players he might leave for money. The longer he puts off talks, the more worried freo fans should get. And the same goes for Dangerfield next year.

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Forget home state. This isnt the 90s anymore. Money talks. Buddys parents and family moved to Melbourne years ago and Hawthorn won the flag. But he still left for money.

Ablett grew up in Geelong, was royalty in that town. And Geelong were a top side and GC a minnow. But he still left for money.

Ward, Scully etc didn't go to GWS for family or premierships. They left for money. Tippett and Mitch Clark said they wanted to go home but instead made detours for money.

I have no view on whether Fyfe will stay or go. But if a club is willing to throw ridiculous money at him - and he and Dangerfield next year are the types of players clubs would throw ridiculous money at - a good side like Freo with too many other gun players may not be willing or able to match the offer. Like plenty of other players he might leave for money. The longer he puts off talks, the more worried freo fans should get. And the same goes for Dangerfield next year.

Players are entitled to seek the best deal for themselves. Very many players wait until end of season to renew contracts, Mundy and Pav are 2 clear examples and they have both stayed each time. Does not make it more worrying - the issue of meeting agreement on $ is the same whether it be now or season end. Certainly can respect Fyfe wanting to wait to season end to get best deal, given he can expect further improvement in his value over the year.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

One exception.... had Travis Cloke chose the money, he would of joined the dockers at the end of 2012 and be paid 1 million a year. Yet hes getting paid well and getting a channel 9 deal apparently.

Im just hoping Freo are not forced to offer a Bret "Hitman" Hart type contract.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory

I 100% agree with you. The game has changed.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is all this talk about Fremantle matching offers????

He is not a free agent. A team would have to offer big big money and compensation players or picks on top.

What insane side would do it for one player?

Difference between all those examples above is that Tippett left for a premiership side, Buddy and Gary were free agents who had long peaked at their successful club, Ward and Scully in terrible teams, wanting to have a proper career out of football.

Fyfe is in a premiership window, is not a free agent, and will be offered a lot to stay by fremantle.
700-800K probably.

Silly opinions is silly.

Ciderhound

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Not leaving.

Know for a fact he is currently building a house in North Coogee and is adored by the Freo fans. As others have said on here he is a country boy and they typically prefer to live close to the family farm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Anyone know who the rumoured club is that is willing to give Fyfe this massive offer?

Hawks - Have the cash, although I could see them paying overs for any players. They would only offer 800-900k, not 1.1 million.
Melbourne - Have the cash, but doubt Fyfe would want to play for them unless Freo wins the premiership.
GWS\GC - Need to spend cash keeping there current list together.
Collingwood - Maybe, do they have the cash?

Any other clubs they have the cash which have a chance of winning a premiership in the next 5 years?

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
No chance Fyfe will ever play for a Vic team. Word (from a teammate) is he is absolutely fuming about the MRP (and Vic clubs) wanting to give him 2 weeks over the head clash. Remember this is after what they did to him last year.

Kiss goodbye any chance of him ever playing for a Vic team :D

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No chance Fyfe will ever play for a Vic team. Word (from a teammate) is he is absolutely fuming about the MRP (and Vic clubs) wanting to give him 2 weeks over the head clash. Remember this is after what they did to him last year.

Kiss goodbye any chance of him ever playing for a Vic team :D

Am I missing the joke here?

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
lol - Nice chip on the shoulder you got there.

lol - its general consensus among players in the west - MRP and Tribunal = kangaroo court, bowing to the needs/desires of the Vic clubs the panelists are tied to

the AFL are even aware of this view among players, but haven't done anything to allay the view, other than some video pr about the "fairness" of the system

Last edited:

Freo2012

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Maybe Fyfe should come and play for the Bulldogs if he's a true a believer in supporting disadvantaged clubs :rolleyes:

lol, simple psychology - its adding to the us versus them mentality. Unites the playing group rather than divides.

Feb 18, 2012
Selby
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
lol - its general consensus among players in the west - MRP and Tribunal = kangaroo court, bowing to the needs/desires of the Vic clubs the panelists are tied to

the AFL are even aware of this view among players, but haven't done anything to allay the view, other than some video pr about the "fairness" of the system

That's an almost laughable chip you have on your shoulder. Actually it's quite pathetic. I could list many times in Which a Victorian player has got it harsh at the tribunal but I fear it would be pointless.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Not so much a Vic thing but the big Vic teams and the northern expansion teams (bar Brisbane) get the rub in everything.

WA, SA and the poor Vics cop the lot.

Back