Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Catboys - Catgirl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malakellis and co - ChookNorris

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggy_Boy got my vote, in a close one from year of the cat and Cursed_Cat.

Biggy only had one weak link for mine, Tim Evans, and he kicked over 1000 goals in the SANFL. The rest of his team was well balanced. Good blend of tough and skilled defenders, his forwards were all consistent goal kickers, with Mossop and Fitzmaurice also able to play as key forwards, and in the guts, while Bundy is elsewhere and Greg Williams won many accolades after he left us, they both played top footy at the club, albeit for a short time. There's the right mix of mobile rucks, goal kicking little men, dashers and in and under accumulators in the engine room too.

Where everyone else missed out (the ones at the end of the list were the first ones ruled out by me)

year of the cat - like myself, needed one more volume forward or a goal kicking mid.

Cursed_Cat - would have got my votes if not for Cockatoo. C_C didn't have enough midfield strength to make that pick work.

NakedDeadGuy - ultimately a couple too many plodders and guys that played better elsewhere

Catgirl - Players named out of position. Needed at least one more mid with some longevity.

Vdubs - if his forward line all clicked on the same day, they'd kick 40 goals. But more often than not they either would have gone missing most of the game or broken down.

ChookNorris - it's a good side, but not good enough for the first cab off the rank. Too many guys picked on potential rather than extended output.

Danger Money - two thirds of the way through was getting my vote. Then she started picking good players who did little to nothing with us. Then there's Mario Bortolotto FFS? He did nothing at Carlton either, except benefit from injuries to others at the last minute lol.

Two Planks - Some firepower up front and on the wings, but that's a fair to middling defense at best. His major ball winners also played better elsewhere.

Sttew - it's one thing to select only guys you've seen. It's another thing to select Dwayne Russell and Tommy Floyd when better were available. Disappointing because that's close to the best spine in the game.

catempire - hello? where's your FB??? I don't think there's ever any need to select six half back flankers. The forward line and midfield are very strong, but that back half is the most unbalanced in the game.

10lana - after going on about Mark Blake all draft, he somehow decided it was a better idea to take Trent West. Instant dismissal. I also don't think you can have West, D.Johnson AND Byrnes in your team all at once, and certainly not two of them in your forward line. In fact, West just shouldn't have been picked full stop.

Last edited:
Two Planks - Some firepower up front and on the wings, but that's a fair to middling defense at best. His major ball winners also played better elsewhere.

I did ask for clarification more than once that we were selecting players based on their entire career and the original organizer (non participant) was adament that this was the case. Now after the selection process has been completed, the new organizer (a participant in the game) only mentions games played for Geelong in the statistics and also comments in a negative fashion that a player played his best football elsewhere.

I did ask for clarification more than once that we were selecting players based on their entire career and the original organizer (non participant) was adament that this was the case. Now after the selection process has been completed, the new organizer (a participant in the game) only mentions games played for Geelong in the statistics and also comments in a negative fashion that a player played his best football elsewhere.

That was merely my own personal assessment towards where I put my vote, other people can and have voted totally different to me. I valued players that had done more for Geelong than elsewhere, or in Biggy's case, had players that had made reasonably significant contributions to premeirships or won awards with us even if they did better elsewhere. But that's just me.

And FWIW, I only included games played for Geelong in my own profiles, when I cold have included games from other clubs as well quite easily. I made mention of other achievements elsewhere, as did others. The main reason I didn't add more than just Geelong games and goals was because it would have become too cumbersome in the presentation, and I had the idea to hyperlink any information people had posted about each player in the draft thread to the team line ups. I haven't had time to finish doing all that yet because I've had some things come up, but I will be endevouring to get the rest of them done this evening.

I will also make clear, my post on how I decided my vote was as much a bit of banter as it was explaining my thought process. Everyone did a great job with their teams, and it was very hard for me to narrow it down because all teams had standout qualities. None of my comments were personal, and certainly wasn't an attempt to sway other votes. Those that vote have their own ideas about what makes a good side and what appeals to them, so I doubt anything I say is going to make a difference, nor should it anyway. I think voters that have commented on who they chose and why have shown that.

One final point. I know I've kinda just taken over here, and I feel bad about that. It was never my intention to steal NSFB's thunder, I just wanted to correlate the information in such a way that it could be used as a future reference, rather than 'here's the teams, let's vote'. Then the work that many of us put into researching and selecting our teams would disappear into the archives. It wasn't until I got a fair way into it that I realized it was going to be difficult to pass everything on to him without things getting confusing. Not to mention that layouts etc don't always translate well to copy and paste here and time was starting to get away.

I wanted to do a lot more as far as the presentation goes, but it wouldn't have been done in a reasonable time. I am still going to do what I originally wanted to, hopefully it will be done before the season starts. And hopefully those that aren't too happy with me right now will forgive me once it's all finished :)

Last edited:
catempire - hello? where's your FB??? I don't think there's ever any need to select six half back flankers. The forward line and midfield are very strong, but that back half is the most unbalanced in the game.
On that basis, I'd say it's clearly the most underrated in the game. ;)

I got diddled out of several full backs I had my eye on, starting with Malarkey and then at least a couple of others. Meh, it happens.

But six half back flankers? That's the biggest exaggeration ever! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that basis, I'd say it's clearly the most underrated in the game. ;)

I got diddled out of several full backs I had my eye on, starting with Malarkey and then at least a couple of others. Meh, it happens.

But six half back flankers? That's the biggest exaggeration ever! ;)

Couldn't agree with you any more CE! James Rahilly wasn't a back flanker, or a mid, or forward flanker, or a KP player or a........ ;):D

;)

I had my eye on Ablett Senior!

Ended up being a close one.

Congrats to the winner Vdubs :D
Always thought as the longest "serving" supporter of the group that I had a clear advantage. Sometimes age has its benefits, but truly, this was an addictive and thoroughly enjoyable exercise where the winners are all of us who learned things about our amazing club/players.
No need at all for voting.

Always thought as the longest "serving" supporter of the group that I had a clear advantage. Sometimes age has its benefits, but truly, this was an addictive and thoroughly enjoyable exercise where the winners are all of us who learned things about our amazing club/players.
No need at all for voting.

I'd say your approach of taking players with a bit of x factor had more to do with winning the vote than experience. It did enable you to only pick players you'd seen a little less restrictively though.

You selected a team that would be a crowd pleaser to watch were it possible to assemble them all on the paddock for a game at their respective best, and so it proved with the voters :D

Back