• Best first 100 games - Shuey, Best when they retire - Gaff

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Best first 100 games - Shuey, Best when they retire - Darling

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Best first 100 games - Shuey, Best when they retire - Shuey

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it's Darling and its not really close.

Firstly let me state that all three are guns and I have mucho man love for boots, the guy has been to hell and back and is just a joy to watch.

Darling however is a far different beast to the other two. Just an absolute specimen who was our only key forward in his second season...let that sink in for a moment.

The guy is a competitive animal who has that something special that all the greats have, the will to impact the contest physically as well as on the scoreboard.

He hasn't even hit his prime yet and is already a superstar.

Hard to split them for performance. Gaff and Darling probably more consistent than Shuey.

But on talent it has to be Shuey. If I had to pick one of them to poach as an opposition expansion club I'd take Shuey.

We generally loose whenever Shuey is tagged out of the game. Gaff is more consistent in terms of possession numbers but he does not influence the outcome of a game as much as Shuey does. Can't really compare Darling with other two as he plays forward. Although Darling did great in his second year as our main forward, he has not been as influential as the other two; so for me, based on their first 100 games, it is Shuey>Gaff >Darling. At the end of their careers I think it will be Shuey>Darling>Gaff. Anyway it does not matter who is better because all three play for West Coast.

Shuey's winrate: 61.79%
Darling's winrate: 60.50%
Gaff's winrate: 60.48%
Shuey is the Eagles highest winrate player with more than 50 games played. Tied with NicNat for our most important too imo.

not really sure if the win rate is that relevant here. You would also find that being that they haven't missed many games between them since they started (after Shuey's first game) that they have played together a lot. I would say (and I haven't counted) that over the last 100 games they would have probably played 80 together.

For mine darling

Why because centre half forward is lot harder to to play than midfield when you're young. .....

As young centre half forward you get belted .......he's always stood up.

If nic nat is healthy

Shuey
Darling
Gaff

Otherwise

Darling
Shuey
Gaff

Shuey is an elite finisher but relies heavily on the supply from nic nat to stamp his influence.

Darling is a beast: enough said

while gaff is more a workhorse type that every team needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised at the lack of Shuey love here.

Still one of our few players with genuine ability to seriously impact the game in seconds.

Plays inside and outside, plays with a lot of passion and often seems to be the heart of the side.

I reckon if you take him out of the Eagles we will be much worse off than if you took out either of the other two.

Gaff and Darling get bonus points because they are younger and so have more scope, but I reckon Shuey will still win more games for us.

If you had the potential to take the opposition's defensive attention away from all three players, I would wager that Shuey would get the most Brownlow votes, most goals, and most high tackle free kicks out of the three.

Not a bad point but over the last 18-24 months Shuey has really gotten better at winning his own ball. He's also easily the most damaging midfielder on our list.
Furthermore, NN out has meant either Sinclair (rubbish tap ruckman), Lycett (inexperienced) or an ageing Cox (too busy flailing arms) has been rucking.

I don't think Shuey needs NN he just needs a decent ruckman, or decent set up at stoppages, which we seem to have sorted out recently.

Darling - Shuey.

Shuperman has had a great first 100 but Jack has played as a key since day 1. If he was born 20 years earlier his career would have followed a trajectory like Locketts. If he was 2-3 inches taller in the current day he would be MVP of the league. Incredibly consistant, powerful player who is the sort who will drag the team with him in finals.

Shuperman to win a brownlow, norm smith, 3-4 AA, captain the club and play 250 games for us kicking 250+ goals. Will displace a player from our all time midfield over his career.

If you look at our all time best 22 by the end of their careers Gaff, Shuey, Darling, Kennedy, Lecras, Priddis, Mackenzie, Nicnat could all make it. For a club with less than 30 years of history with 3 premierships and 5 grand final appearances it is no wonder we are a strong team atm when 8 players on exposed form could make our all time best 22.

Surprised at the lack of Shuey love here.

Still one of our few players with genuine ability to seriously impact the game in seconds.

Plays inside and outside, plays with a lot of passion and often seems to be the heart of the side.

I reckon if you take him out of the Eagles we will be much worse off than if you took out either of the other two.

Gaff and Darling get bonus points because they are younger and so have more scope, but I reckon Shuey will still win more games for us.

If you had the potential to take the opposition's defensive attention away from all three players, I would wager that Shuey would get the most Brownlow votes, most goals, and most high tackle free kicks out of the three.

Totally agree. In the match against Sydney, Shuey once picked the ball up in the half back line, ran to the 50 and kicked to Kennedy (who kicked a point) all the while three 3 Swans players were triying to stop him; except may be Yeo, I don't think we have any other midfielder who is capable of doing that.

Voted Shuey - Darling

Love Gaff though! hard choice, the future looks good with these three leading the team!

Crazy that our oldest player after Priddis is Hurn at 27/28
Rosa and Le Cras are around the mark of not older I think

True, Judd was better but Shuey is not far behind. We have to remember that Judd played in a midfield regarded as one of the best of all time while Shuey played a majority of his first 100 in a midfield generally considered to be one of the worst in the competition.

Also - Shuey is a bit older, retrospectively, to Judd....Judd won the Brownlow at 21. Shuey had a few interrupted years before he really got going.

Shuey & Gaff have had many good game but Darling seems to consistently knock out good games. Not to mention being a leading goal kicker in 2012.

Back