Remove this Banner Ad

Brenno

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

I have admitted I have a problem as of Saturday and am now day 2 of my challenge. I have rang gamblers anon and made referrals to see face to face councellers. I know it's a strange place to ask as everyone here seems to have it as a hobby and it's controlled but I'm just looking for anyone who has been through it or that has any advice even if they can pm me.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this

Hi guys,

I have admitted I have a problem as of Saturday and am now day 2 of my challenge. I have rang gamblers anon and made referrals to see face to face councellers. I know it's a strange place to ask as everyone here seems to have it as a hobby and it's controlled but I'm just looking for anyone who has been through it or that has any advice even if they can pm me.

Good for you champ, least you have admitted you have a problem, I don't have any personal experience as far as gamb anon etc. but I would try and get out of town over the 4 days of the spring etc..

Out of sight of of mind.

Good luck

Good for you champ, least you have admitted you have a problem, I don't have any personal experience as far as gamb anon etc. but I would try and get out of town over the 4 days of the spring etc..

Out of sight of of mind.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice. I have self excluded from every venue I can think of and rang ever betting company. I am also pulling double shifts to make money back and keep me occupied

Hi guys,

Good luck.

just out of interest, were you gambling on everything? or was there something in particular that was the real problem?

good luck.

just out of interest, were you gambling on everything? or was there something in particular that was the real problem?

good luck.
My main issue was the dogs. I did dabble in the pokies but that was actually small and social. However I n longer trust myself with any of it

You might laugh but I've heard from a few people hypnotherapy has been successful for them with addiction 1 with gambling 2 with smoking

Good luck with it,next few weeks will be tough,gambling world is so full of temptation let alone in these 2 weeks
If you can find support that doesnt drag you into old habits,use it.

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might laugh but I've heard from a few people hypnotherapy has been successful for them with addiction 1 with gambling 2 with smoking

I'm aware of 2 that reckon it worked a treat with smoking

As to the OP - good luck mate!

As someone who only started betting due to the obvious predatory behaviour of all bookies, I have a great deal of sympathy

It is why I have zero guilt in utilising the same maths against them.

GL mate

Goes without saying but steering clear of places and times where temptation is greatest will be vital.

Safe to say having a beer in the pub on a Sat afternoon is not the go.

Good work mate. It won't be easy, but you can only start with taking the first step. /cliche

One of the best feelings of my life was when that feeling of anxiety about when i was going to go have my next punt lifted. And that feeling of stupidity after you lose big. It feels great to be free, and the bank account will love you for it.

All the best.

Source: 5 months cold turkey.

Good work mate. It won't be easy, but you can only start with taking the first step. /cliche

One of the best feelings of my life was when that feeling of anxiety about when i was going to go have my next punt lifted. And that feeling of stupidity after you lose big. It feels great to be free, and the bank account will love you for it.

All the best.

Source: 5 months cold turkey.
Hearing your story is actually an inspiration and I appreciate you sharing it. I don't drink so I have no other temptations to go the a venue. It's been 4 days now without it. My wife has come back to the house with the kids and although we are far from being back together having them under the same roof makes my desire to never go back burn harder then ever before. I can do this, nothing will ever own me again

Honest question - can you be a winning punter over a reasonable period and be a gambling addict? Or by definition do you have to be royally doing your nuts to qualify?
No idea mate. I'm not that far in debt ($2k) it was more the fact it had become my number 1 priority over my wife and kids. I'd make up lies about where I was and things I had to do just to go gamble

Honest question - can you be a winning punter over a reasonable period and be a gambling addict? Or by definition do you have to be royally doing your nuts to qualify?

Depends what you defy as a gambling addict I guess

If you're showing typical addictive behaviours its hard to argue you're always making profitable bets

You could also be a profitable football punter but a degenerate dog gambler

No idea mate. I'm not that far in debt ($2k) it was more the fact it had become my number 1 priority over my wife and kids. I'd make up lies about where I was and things I had to do just to go gamble

My wife isn't even in the top 4. Beer/Racing/Footy/the cat. She's about on par with the NBA and I'm not even that keen on basketball. You have your priorities all arse about IMO :$

depends what you'd do if you started losing.

I know people who are addicted to exercise.. like they might have injuries, but run through them anyway

The issue with addiction is the impact it has on the rest of your life

As the OP said it was getting in the way of family etc, not to mention the financial cost

So if the gambling was square or even profit making, but causing social disharmony, then there is still an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back