Gambling "epidemic" amongst AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

B0lUuBbCcAE12Su.jpg

"Remember when I let in that escaped lunatic because he was dressed like Santa Claus? Well YOU have a gambling problem!"

As an aside, does anyone know if clubs/AFL have mandatory financial planning sessions with each player? I've never heard anything along these lines, and I would be very surprised if the clubs at least didn't organise for each player to sit down with a professional and chat about their dosh.

The NFL does this now as part of their Rookie symposium before each season starts. Goes over financial management, family, trusts, funds etc. When you consider the socio-economic background and education of a lot of the NFL players - it has become an essential part of the NFL looking after itself and outs employees.

Clearly not fully effective but at least they provide it as service.

They also have the NFL concierge service. One number to call - anytime, anywhere NFL players can call a town car / limo to come get them and drive them home in the event they are drunk. It just takes time clearly for the ride to arrive. NFL's attempt to counter DUI. And they still don't use it.

But they try. AFL can learn a lot here.

GO Catters

The NFL does this now as part of their Rookie symposium before each season starts. Goes over financial management, family, trusts, funds etc. When you consider the socio-economic background and education of a lot of the NFL players - it has become an essential part of the NFL looking after itself and outs employees.

Clearly not fully effective but at least they provide it as service.

They also have the NFL concierge service. One number to call - anytime, anywhere NFL players can call a town car / limo to come get them and drive them home in the event they are drunk. It just takes time clearly for the ride to arrive. NFL's attempt to counter DUI. And they still don't use it.

But they try. AFL can learn a lot here.

GO Catters

"But in the NFL they do this" example 3848473929

Education in financial management helps to an extent, but is by no means a prevention. Some of the worlds smartest people in finance gamble it all away even though they can work out the probabilities with scary accuracy.

AFL players might receive a couple of hours, but as their money grows the culture encourages them to gamble. Good luck to trying to get the AFL to take a stance against gambling as they receive nice amounts from their sponsors $$

As an aside, does anyone know if clubs/AFL have mandatory financial planning sessions with each player? I've never heard anything along these lines, and I would be very surprised if the clubs at least didn't organise for each player to sit down with a professional and chat about their dosh.

Carlton has financial education classes as part of their player welfare program for new recruits.

Must have learnt from the Fev debacle.

On the financial education, I remember hearing an interview with a Hawthorn player (Lewis maybe?) and he was talking about the financial manager-ship they had set up for him. He was talking about how they had set him up that after he retired he would wouldn't have to work again if he didn't want to and he wasn't stupid.

As it is the resources are there for the players but in many sports (you hear of it being worse in the NBA/NFL) they get too much money at too young an age and they have too much time on their hands. You can try and help them as much as you want but at some stage you have to sit back and say too bad you got yourself in this mess its your problem.

"But in the NFL they do this" example 3848473929
The NFL ban all forms of gambling by players and officials.

Team owners aren't allowed to own gambling interests either.

/example 3848473930

Two ex Collingwood players who play for interstate clubs that are big time punters get looked after like royalty with William Hills main guy Gerry Welsh

Last edited:
There are 2 problems here.

One is the amount of disposable income footballers have and the other is the "dead time" they have when not training or playing.

If you look at the prevalence of illicit drugs and gambling, it seems the players are in many cases throwing away whatever they get and not investing in their futures.

Compare this to the 1980's.

Footballers worked in full-time jobs and trained 2 nights a week. Partied on Saturday nights after playing (oh and many Pleasant Sunday mornings too).

The use of drugs and gambling wasn't as prevalent. Sure there were still punters (Crackers Keenan and Jim Buckley 2 noted ones). But, because they didn't have so much "dead time" the problems weren't as bad.

I think it has more to do with the promotion of betting agencies and the simplicity of gambling.
It's just so easy to gamble.

Why has gambling issues randomly been brought up by the media again? It's been a big issue for a long time.

I think it has more to do with the promotion of betting agencies and the simplicity of gambling.
It's just so easy to gamble.

Why has gambling issues randomly been brought up by the media again? It's been a big issue for a long time.
And that's just to us.

Can't imagine the s**t the players themselves are exposed to. Gambling company owners and the like hanging around like leeches offering them free bets and stuff. Have to remember the players coming in are just 18, 19 year old kids suddenly with more money at their disposal than they know what to do with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was interesting to hear that goose Radar Maher handle a call this morning that questioned SEN lamenting the plight of gambling addicted footballers whilst being so far up the bookies' arses they've disappeared.

Nobody cares whilst the $$$ are flying about like confetti. It is that simple.

I heard this call and was disgusted with how the entire team just blew the guy off. Even challenged him to provide evidence that advertising and promoting of gambling incessantly has any link at all to problem gambling. Utter w***ers.

I heard this call and was disgusted with how the entire team just blew the guy off. Even challenged him to provide evidence that advertising and promoting of gambling incessantly has any link at all to problem gambling. Utter ******s.

Ye, I thought it was very ******* ordinary.

Maher is a sycophantic, arse-licking little lap-dog. Would not upset the apple cart in a million years.

I also find it interesting that there is such a big outrage at how gambling is linked with AFL especially with the coverage its given in the media, but that outrage doesn't seem to exist with the horse racing industry over the Spring Carnival. That sport is completely based around gambling
Possibly because this is a football forum, not a horse racing forum.

Plus AFL is marketed to children and families a hell of a lot more than horse racing. Not comparable IMO.

Used to see Luke Hodge drop plenty at the Cas, would act like a total fool too, while Mitchel sat there rolling his eyes back....

It's pretty ordinary to "name and shame" given that you have no evidence of this whatsoever other than what you have allegedly seen.

In fact, I would suggest that it is borderline libellous.

There are 2 problems here.

One is the amount of disposable income footballers have and the other is the "dead time" they have when not training or playing.

If you look at the prevalence of illicit drugs and gambling, it seems the players are in many cases throwing away whatever they get and not investing in their futures.

Compare this to the 1980's.

Footballers worked in full-time jobs and trained 2 nights a week. Partied on Saturday nights after playing (oh and many Pleasant Sunday mornings too).

The use of drugs and gambling wasn't as prevalent. Sure there were still punters (Crackers Keenan and Jim Buckley 2 noted ones). But, because they didn't have so much "dead time" the problems weren't as bad.

And the fact that gambling won't show up in a piss test.

It's still workin' the ol' dopamine reward centres.

As for David Schwartz, paid up mouthpiece for Bruce Mathieson's pokie empire and hater of gambling reform. Lickspittle

The amount of gambling advertising is ridiculous and makes it hard for the AFL to make any stance against it without being massive hypocrites.

Same with alcohol.
I reckon the gambling is much worse. Try watching or listening to the preview of a game without crossing to Johnny Dickhead at X betting agency for an update on the latest odds.

Christ it took federal legislation to stop them providing gambling updates during games. It's ingrained in the culture.

Possibly because this is a football forum, not a horse racing forum.

Plus AFL is marketed to children and families a hell of a lot more than horse racing. Not comparable IMO.
It was more of a general comment than one directed at BF. It was more thinking about some of the outrage that occurred when the Tom Waterhouse ads were all over AFL and NRL and it took the outcry to get it stopped inplay (as you said above). The media itself was up in arms over it. But then a few months later the Spring Racing Carnival comes around and odds are plastered every where. Many of the same people who were outraged were then at the races taking part.

You can say that they are marketed to different audiences but Racing is making an effort to have family days/nights and broaden their appeal. Its more of a society issue to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back