Mick_15

Senior List
Feb 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Wondering what peoples thoughts are on an opening song?

I'm a Leeds Utd fan and they sing 'Marching on Together', Liverpool's 'Never Walk Alone' makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up, and recently Port's 'Never Tear Us Apart', they are all amazing introductions to a match and a great way to get the crowd involved from the first bounce!

We all know and love 'When the Saints Go Marching In' and will always be sung after a win!

No reason why we can't also have an opening song for the fans to sing together! Try and imagine thousands of us singing the song together before a big match!!

Some song I thought might work. (could only be a specific part of a song).

In The Air (Phil Collins) - Intro and chorus
One - U2
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Always - Bon Jovi (chorus)

Thoughts? Other songs?

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on an opening song?

I'm a Leeds Utd fan and they sing 'Marching on Together', Liverpool's 'Never Walk Alone' makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up, and recently Port's 'Never Tear Us Apart', they are all amazing introductions to a match and a great way to get the crowd involved from the first bounce!

We all know and love 'When the Saints Go Marching In' and will always be sung after a win!

No reason why we can't also have an opening song for the fans to sing together! Try and imagine thousands of us singing the song together before a big match!!

Some song I thought might work. (could only be a specific part of a song).

In The Air (Phil Collins) - Intro and chorus
One - U2
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Always - Bon Jovi (chorus)

Thoughts? Other songs?
I find the idea a little cheesy. But i guess U2/Green Day the Saints are Coming is an obvious one?

fan friendly a no brainer in the saints are coming

otherwise i could rattle off a bunch of metal songs..​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skyhooks - Why Don't You All Get F****d
Its a classic

Was going to start a similar thread after watching the local Derby last night.

Love MV's group that stands behind the goals. Amazing passion and interaction with the players. Was also impressed with the way the players interacted after the game.

There's a lot we can learn from it.

Problem is...

We need our own group of fanatics. The cheer squad is irrelevant IMO. GWS has a decent alternative. As do the Barmy Army.

what we really need is to get a few thousand fans who are deadly passionate and want to make some serious noise. Even in our high years of 2009 and 2010, the atmosphere was pretty poor at home games.

Basically, we are too polite as a supporter base. Games are sterile.

If we could get a decent petition of commitment to the club, we could have a designated area at all home game.

I'd be there with bells on. Learn a few songs and verse and invoke some of that soccer passion and that of the Fanatics themselves.

It would certainly make games more enjoyable.

These old enough can remember the unmistakable roar at Moorabbin when the grand stand sprung too life as the diehards sense a victory.

Maybe we have become too complacent given our recent success era?

But gee it would be bloody fun!

The Ministry of Saints!

The All Saints

The correct collective noun is a Congregation of Saints, but not sure how that sounds.

Perhaps, just, The sinners!

I loved the song that they used to play at Moorabbin.

"We're Saints we're proud and we've got a lot of fight
Cos we're loyal to our mates, cos they're the Saints"

The recent addition of a second verse wasn't very good but I don't have a problem with trying to make it a bit more modern. Providing the supporters can have some input on whether they are approve of the changes.
Does anyone have the full lyrics of this?

Does anyone have the full lyrics of this?

... and we're loyal to our mates, cause we're the Saints!

That's about ti from me.

I reckon we could have an extra verse in the middle of our song... it's way too short.

Oh when the Saints, go marching in.
we'll never quit until we win.
And we will fight until we're Premiers
Oh when the Saints go marching in!

Ive actually got a Saints Cork/Notice board wich i got in the 90s sometime.
And its got a different version of when the Saints go marching in written on it.
Its got the usual bits but then its got a few new verses that have been added to try and make it a bit more modern. It obviously went down like a lead balloon cos ive never heard it before or since.
Being that im a lazy so n so and its on the wall of my work shed down the back of my yard. I cant be arsed checking what the lyrics are now.
So i will post them here tomoz and see if anybody remembers that version:thumbsu:

You need to be really careful when doing this that it doesn't come off all awkward. The Qld state of origin chant is Queenslander QUEENSLANDERRRRRRRRRR which really stirs up the crowd and team at Lang Park. A few years ago some media knobhead tried to change it to Mar roons Mar roons and they even had some dj or something stand in the middle of the ground trying to incite the crowd. Well no one chimed in and the crowd drowned him out with QUEENSLANDERRRRRRRRRR. Was actually quite embarrass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back