Game Day Experience - Song Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

It IS a little Carltonesque...
Copy%20image%20cycler%20316x246.jpg
And whatever it is they're cooking, it looks and smells awful.

I posted the comments below on game day experience, after attending the Gold Coast v St Kilda match at Metricon last year. This is the sort of game day experience that distinguishes a home match from all other teams.

- The Suns do put a great show at the ground. A band to welcome people in, hand ball, kicking, skills competitions, plus a wide variety of fire twirlers, jugglers, buskers etc. They really do promote a family atmosphere and do it well.

- To build family and supporter entertainment, they do a wide variety of activities from at least 90 minutes before the game. From Sun TV, to on the big screen interviews, competitions of supporter involvement etc. Appreciate that some of this may seem American, but they are genuinely trying to build a fan base by offering more for everyone. The three people in front of me, took marginal interest in the game, but loved the sound effects after each goal, the twice a quarter calls for fan involvement etc. Not for me, but they were there for the whole show and we could do worse than adopting some of these ideas to broaden our appeal

- There is absolutely no doubt who sponsors the Suns, with obviously the stadium named after Metricon, but the references through the night for the sponsors, must be a sponsors dream. Metricon think enough of it, to give a house away as a membership draw prize through the year.

- Entering the ground people can get a Pull Out Metricon poster, that they can wave during the break - 4 or 5 times - the big screen shows who is waving their sponsors name and then selects one who wins $200. It is AMAZING how many people are madly waving Metricon posters to win the cash

- They have kiss a cam - before and each break - they pick couples in the crowd and wait until they kiss. Very funny stuff. Crowd love it

- On the scoreboard on the far right hand side, they show photos of fans at the crowd all game, with their selfies. I thought they had a roving cameraman taking photos, but one of my younger house guests, said that they are all taking selfies, sending them via instagram to the Gold Coast Suns and they are then shown on the scoreboard. Found myself looking at them during the break as well.

- Each break they ask for any suggestions to make the game day experience better for the fans and the ways you can contact them to do this. This showed a real desire to get better and cater for the fans. The Saints could definitely learn from this

- The fact that they obviously control the scoreboard and use it as a marketing and fan involvement tool, is super super impressive. From a sponsor, supporter point of view, vastly different to what you see at Etihad and MCG

- Ground staff from ticketing, to turnstiles, to directions all very positive, happy to help and go out of their way. They actually all seem happy to be there. Not sure what they are putting in their water before they start work, but would suggest that it is given to all Etihad and MCG staff as well

- A great family night out - we had an even mix of Saints and Suns supporters around us, all enjoying the atmosphere - if not the game - of the night

- They have been given a gift of lots of draft picks, but they are obviously working to build a power house of support through non traditional means. We could do far far worse than showing a bit more creativity and adopting some of these and developing others of our own

Pretty sure there is already a thread for this made last year? Mods?

Now located & merged (Squizzy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Insane in da Membrey - Cypress Hill

Gettin Hickey with it - Fresh Prince

A whole Newnes world - Aladdin Soundtrack

Cup of Wright - Ricky Martin

A Murdoch on the dancefloor - Sophie Ellis-Bexter

Ill show myself out.....

L_W_post: 37201623 said:

Ill show myself out.....
:rolleyes:
:p
When I read that post I groaned so loudly that my next door neighbor probably thinks I just got lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say I prefer the Skids version more. The less I have to listen to Billy Joe's voice, the better. It just sounds so whiny, the Skids version sounds more impressive to me. The lyrics are perfect. The rights should be much easier for the Skids over U2/Green Day as well.

Edit: I just heard this version, which I also like more than the U2/Green Day version, but more importantly the chorus has a chant vibe to it with the multiple vocalists, so it would definitely get people chanting it. Which, if we are wanting to compete with the atmosphere of A-League games, then that would definitely add a lot to it.

the club should organise the game day walk for every home game. Say an hour or hour and a half before every home game, everyone gather at spencer street station and have a big brass band play a few saints songs (marching in, saints are coming).
Think seven nation army works really well too.
Also would like HEAPS more red white and black in and around the stadium.

For all home games, the club should hold an internal raffle where 1 member is drawn out 1hr before the game to spend the game either in the coaches box or sitting on the bench for the entire game. Now that would be a ripping game-day experience

Ill show myself out.....
EverLonger - Foo Fighters
White Noise - The Living End
Bring the Payne - Method Man
Falling to Pierces - Velvet Revolver

Last edited:
the club should organise the game day walk for every home game. Say an hour or hour and a half before every home game, everyone gather at spencer street station and have a big brass band play a few saints songs (marching in, saints are coming).
Think seven nation army works really well too.
Also would like HEAPS more red white and black in and around the stadium.

great idea!!!!

Please tell me the AFL arent doing this .
Typical Americanised Bullshit ive ever heard .
Blow the siren , bounce the pill and lets get on with our GREAT game .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back