FTA-TV Game of Thrones - Season 5 [WARNING: BOOK READERS ONLY]

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Fuuck gotta download these episodes.

If what Reaper posted is true.. then wtf - fan fic here we go.

It is pure fan fic

Barristan is not confirmed dead but episode 4 ends with him getting stabbed about ten times.

And the biggest fanfic moment is that Sansa (as in the real Sansa) is marrying Ramsay Bolton. And Aegon is 100% confirmed cut.

Father Jack , you're not a uni students with assignments to avoid starting.

Watching all four episodes made perfect sense to me.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Well at least pod and Brienne didn't have to ride in a giant circle like in the book.

I actually wonder what the * they are going to do with that plot.

Jamie is down in Dorne (as we know from the trailers) and everything suggests that they will cut Lady Stoneheart.

They'll probably make them save Sansa. Stannis will beat the Boltons and decide to burn Sansa to the death (I'm sure they can find a reason for it).

And then Brienne will jump in and kill Stannis whilst yelling "this is for Renly!"

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It is pure fan fic

Barristan is not confirmed dead but episode 4 ends with him getting stabbed about ten times.

And the biggest fanfic moment is that Sansa (as in the real Sansa) is marrying Ramsay Bolton. And Aegon is 100% confirmed cut.

Father Jack , you're not a uni students with assignments to avoid starting.

Watching all four episodes made perfect sense to me.
Currentlt watching the second mentioned part now.
Are they serious? I dont even feel like watching this.

It leaves a sour taste in my mouth

All the whinging. The books aren't even finished FFS, the show will have to deviate at some point anyway. Not to mention the different medium requires different ways of storytelling.

I like the changes they have made personally; for example, Bronn is a widly entertaining character and as such any way they can keep him in the show (for a bit longer at least, I have a bad feeling the Sand Snakes may kill him) is a good thing.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
All the whinging. The books aren't even finished FFS, the show will have to deviate at some point anyway. Not to mention the different medium requires different ways of storytelling.

I like the changes they have made personally; for example, Bronn is a widly entertaining character and as such any way they can keep him in the show (for a bit longer at least, I have a bad feeling the Sand Snakes may kill him) is a good thing.
There's nothing wrong with changing things, but those things still have to make sense. I agree changing bronn's story from the book is a good change as it works with his on screen character more. But others it doesn't work so well.

There's nothing wrong with changing things, but those things still have to make sense. I agree changing bronn's story from the book is a good change as it works with his on screen character more. But others it doesn't work so well.
I feel like a few of the changes need to be given time before they can be judged properly. How can we say they haven't worked before we have barely gotten into the storylines yet?

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Viewing today's episode alone with the view of a massive fan of the books.... Absolutely hated it.

Viewing it by totally separating it from & ignoring the books so as I'm looking at it as it's own stand alone entity.... Still rather meh.

The main reason for the first view is the total defamation of pretty much every character from their book counterpart.
*Jamie's speech about "they are all out to take whats ours"= Opposite of his state of mind as head of the kingsguard
*Loras being the token gay ****=opposite of the knight of valour character with rumours of Renly relationship, where he says he'll never love again, joins kingsguard, keeps being a knight
*Stannis continual seeming to enjoy being an unlikable smug douchebag= Opposite of reluctantly doing his 'honourable duty'
Could go on with Littlefinger, Varys, etc but couldn't be bothered tbh.

Main reason for the other point of view of the episode ignoring the book comparison. Just too much meaningless, non-progressing time filler for the sake of "hey look at all this meaningless, non-storyline progressing nudity & stuff".

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
they have a pretty s**t track record with their changes so far - and whilst some are necessary others appear to only be there to serve the showriters ego.

Also getting rid of some of the better lines.

I'd forgive them for some of the changes if they existed for a better reason than "lets make this cool and popular character do something cool and badass"

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did anyone also get the feeling the may be leaving out the whole Mance still being alive as Abel the singer or whatever? Hard to see how they can go that way with the way his on screen death went down. Also the total lack of rattleshirt or whatever to take his place as far as I remember.

Edit: I'm not supposed to be spoiler tagging things from today's episode am I? My bad & sorry if so.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Viewing today's episode alone with the view of a massive fan of the books.... Absolutely hated it.

Viewing it by totally separating it from & ignoring the books so as I'm looking at it as it's own stand alone entity.... Still rather meh.

The main reason for the first view is the total defamation of pretty much every character from their book counterpart.
*Jamie's speech about "they are all out to take whats ours"= Opposite of his state of mind as head of the kingsguard
*Loras being the token gay ****=opposite of the knight of valour character with rumours of Renly relationship, where he says he'll never love again, joins kingsguard, keeps being a knight
*Stannis continual seeming to enjoy being an unlikable smug douchebag= Opposite of reluctantly doing his 'honourable duty'
Could go on with Littlefinger, Varys, etc but couldn't be bothered tbh.

Main reason for the other point of view. Just too much meaningless, non-progressing time filler for the sake of "hey look at all this meaningless, non-storyline progressing nudity & stuff".

People who don't like Stannis don't understand how the show has done him a massive disservice.

Whilst the end actions are the same the reasons for doing them define a character.

There is a difference between burning your brother in law because he was a traitor and burning him because 'lol he refused to change religion'
There is a difference between not executing Davos because you realised he did the right thing and not executing him because your mistress told you not to.
There is a difference between burning Mance because he was a deserter and burning him because lol he wouldn't bend the knee.

It's the difference between someone who is good and is doing what he thinks he needs to do because it's what needs to be done and someone who is a villain but is doing good because the only enemies left are worse.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
People who don't like Stannis don't understand how the show has done him a massive disservice.

Whilst the end actions are the same the reasons for doing them define a character.

There is a difference between burning your brother in law because he was a traitor and burning him because 'lol he refused to change religion'
There is a difference between not executing Davos because you realised he did the right thing and not executing him because your mistress told you not to.
There is a difference between burning Mance because he was a deserter and burning him because lol he wouldn't bend the knee.

It's the difference between someone who is good and is doing what he thinks he needs to do because it's what needs to be done and someone who is a villain but is doing good because the only enemies left are worse.

Exactly. Stannis would be one of my more liked characters in the book because of his values but for tv show only viewers there is a totally different picture painted of him. I don't blame most who haven't read the books for hating him because they have been given absolutely no reason to like him.

Aug 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Arsenal
Did anyone also get the feeling the may be leaving out the whole Mance still being alive as Abel the singer or whatever? Hard to see how they can go that way with the way his on screen death went down. Also the total lack of rattleshirt or whatever to take his place as far as I remember.

Edit: I'm not supposed to be spoiler tagging things from today's episode am I? My bad & sorry if so.

I think because Rattleshirt didn't make an appearance in that scene they are continuing with the book arc with him replacing Mance.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The show ruins all the characters I like

Stannis - crazy hard ass, rather than harsh but honourouble. Protector of the kingdom not just another king who thinks they deserve the throne

Jaimie - still inlove with cersei and remains her puppet rather than the self reflective complex man he is in the books

Loras - gay, ****, charicature rather than a great knight who truly loved renly and focuses on being a great knight once renly dies

Oh and Cersei is too smart/nice/sane

Oh and Varys is ridiculously ham fisted this season

Oh and I still cant believe that this new guy is Daario - i want to old guy back. This guy isnt good looking enough for me and doesnt have the same swagger

Tyrion probably about the only character they have spot on

Recently, my mum actually said to me, only from watching the show, "why isn't Stannis King? He seems like he would be pretty good at it."

Well, duh. :D

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
FlowersByIrene - how are they going to develop Jaime now?
He's no longer directly facing up with the conflict between his oath to Catelyn and serving his family be hanging around the Riverlands and he won't run into Lady Stoneheart (which seems likely in the next book).

I also think Varys has lost a bit. His actions in the first book make sense when you realise that he's supporting Aegon, not Dany. If he and Illyrio's end game is supporting Dany they seem a bit off.

Personally like the book story and the TV story. As much as I like the books the final two could have done with some editing. The Danaerys story is stagnating and would be boring as bat s**t on the small screen. Can't wait until the next series when it finally goes ahead of the book.

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
The show ruins all the characters I like

Stannis - crazy hard ass, rather than harsh but honourouble. Protector of the kingdom not just another king who thinks they deserve the throne
Really? His whole bend the knee routine bores me shitless. The whole "he'll break before he bends" philosophy just makes him seem so one dimensional.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Really? His whole bend the knee routine bores me shitless. The whole "he'll break before he bends" philosophy just makes he seem so one dimensional.

The breaking before the bend policy actually doesn't fit his actions in the books.

Stannis in the books has continually 'bent' and made the pragmatic decision when necessary

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
FlowersByIrene - how are they going to develop Jaime now?
He's no longer directly facing up with the conflict between his oath to Catelyn and serving his family be hanging around the Riverlands and he won't run into Lady Stoneheart (which seems likely in the next book).

I also think Varys has lost a bit. His actions in the first book make sense when you realise that he's supporting Aegon, not Dany. If he and Illyrio's end game is supporting Dany they seem a bit off.
I cant imagine how they develop jaimie.. i cant tell you to be honest. Theyre probably just thinking the audience will be sustained by the "fun adventures of bronn and jaimie - its the medieval odd couple"

And yeah, thats what happens when you take a whole chunk of the book out of the tv show.

There are a whole bunch of continuity errors now.

-Maggy the Frog saying she'll have no children with Robert despite its mentioned on two occasions once to Cat and once to robert about how she had a dark haired boy who died at 6 months old or something

-Varys sending people to kill Dany, that just makes no sense now.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Really? His whole bend the knee routine bores me shitless. The whole "he'll break before he bends" philosophy just makes him seem so one dimensional.
He's the one king who's knows he cant draw the cart before the horse. Thats why he went north, thats why he wants winterfell, not just for power but to save the realm from the others. I like that about him

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
Just finished ep 1 (gonna watch them as they air). It was a pretty underwhelming start but that's kind of to be expected.

Also, stop ruining characters for no reason please.

"When the sun has set no candle can replace it..... But oooh look, a sexy squire."

Back