Game of Thrones - spoilers inside

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite wall-ie, that one.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Decidedly average.

I've shotgunned my way through season 1 of True Detective this weekend and I reckon that was better.

Today's episode better make up for what's been a very boring season since Joffre died.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crammed a lot into the episode.

Is Shae's character development handled well in the books? I don't feel like her recent behavior is congruent with the way they established her character otherwise. It is unsatisfactory to me that they didn't really foreshadow her betrayal. I can't just label her a whore and write it off on that front because I never really got the impression that she was just playing Tyrion.

Crammed a lot into the episode.

Is Shae's character development handled well in the books? I don't feel like her recent behavior is congruent with the way they established her character otherwise. It is unsatisfactory to me that they didn't really foreshadow her betrayal. I can't just label her a whore and write it off on that front because I never really got the impression that she was just playing Tyrion.

From what I'm told the Shae in the book is almost a total manipulative user while the TV show made her much more sympathetic. In light of that, last night was somewhat jarring. After the trial it was easy enough to write her betrayal down as "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" after Tyrion sent her away for her own safety when she took the "you are mine and I am yours" oath much more literally. Her ending up in Tywin's bed is definitely harder to swallow in the show though because they really hadn't set her up as an ambitious type.

Loved the irony of the super dignified Twyin meeting his maker on the "throne" though.

From what I'm told the Shae in the book is almost a total manipulative user while the TV show made her much more sympathetic. In light of that, last night was somewhat jarring. After the trial it was easy enough to write her betrayal down as "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" after Tyrion sent her away for her own safety when she took the "you are mine and I am yours" oath much more literally. Her ending up in Tywin's bed is definitely harder to swallow in the show though because they really hadn't set her up as an ambitious type.

Loved the irony of the super dignified Twyin meeting his maker on the "throne" though.

I assumed she was playing Tyrion all along. He met her while Tywon was around, after all.

Had to laugh at Ian McShane's response to people upset about him spoiling the
Hound's return.
The "**** and dragons" remark was pretty funny but I think if I hadn't already over-analyzed the story possibilities to the point I wasn't remotely surprised I'd also be pissed at him letting that one out.

Also, how exciting is it to be entering uncharted territory with GoT?

Really wish George hadn't dragged his heels. Must be a big kick in the teeth for those fan who started reading 20 years ago to know the story will be completed by the TV series. Honestly don't see him ever finishing WoW, let alone ADoS.

Also, how exciting is it to be entering uncharted territory with GoT?

Really wish George hadn't dragged his heels. Must be a big kick in the teeth for those fan who started reading 20 years ago to know the story will be completed by the TV series. Honestly don't see him ever finishing WoW, let alone ADoS.

The dickish bit will be all the effort the book readers have gone to to not spoil the TV series for watchers doesn't look like it's going to be repaid in return given the showrunners' efforts in promoting season 6, i.e. making comments to the effect "oh, it's going to be like that in the books too".

I got into the GoT series late but I really enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of television as it is nor a fan of sci-fi but the way GoT has done it is great. Just enough magic/dragons to keep it unpredictable without going over the top, and the medieval time period theme is great. Might go buy the books if I have the time to really get to see how the world of Martin was really meant to be.

I'd put myself in the same boat as you SM. I'm not a huge lover of fantasy novels.

As someone who was late into the TV show and even later into the books, I can definitely recommend the books. Sure it gets a bit bogged down in parts (Dani in Slavers Bay), but it fleshes out the world for me. I often spend time during a chapter going back to some of the online maps to see where they are in relation to everywhere else. If you can accept that the books will be different and that the show runners need to make certain decisions as it's a different medium, then it's well worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back