Analysis Game Plan for the Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Found it a little concerning that Ross mentioned we were still tinkering with the forwardline I.e Taberner, Clarke a week out from the finals. Surely if they were going to play they should have been brought in earlier.

Found it a little concerning that Ross mentioned we were still tinkering with the forwardline I.e Taberner, Clarke a week out from the finals. Surely if they were going to play they should have been brought in earlier.

I think you answered your own question. RTB has to talk about a lot of topics brought up by journos but I don't believe he has plans of playing Tabs or Clarke unless injury makes that decision. The only tinkering will be the re-introduction of Ballas, Walters and Fyfe.

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question. RTB has to talk about a lot of topics brought up by journos but I don't believe he has plans of playing Tabs or Clarke unless injury makes that decision. The only tinkering will be the re-introduction of Ballas, Walters and Fyfe.
I had stopped listening to his press conferences and interviews. I should go back to that.

RTB will tell DP bomb the pill long into the forward line, Z D to keep the oppersitions key foward to less than two goals and lay blocks deep in our defence and N S to lay blocks at clearances.
And people will still winge win or lose.

I wish and hope you are right but even if we win the big one I would bet someone will have go at some of our role players.
I highly doubt it. People are whinging because they are worried the current team isn't good enough to win the flag. If we do win the flag then all of that worry will go out the window! Relief and happiness!!

As I said I hope they don't should we win.
( in a shitty mood, stuck in a airport for 5 hours) .
I ĺove the clever insightful stuff on this site, but some of stupid s**t about players playing to instructions .............. .

I'm re-watching all the games from the first 8 rounds, I'm very confident we'll be back to that, we aren't doing things during games now, that we were doing at the beginning of the season, particularly the hard running, surely we are saving that for finals.

Mundy has been fairly Fyfe-esque in the last few games. Willing himself into contests.

If the 2 of them are on-song at the same time. Look out...
THIS!!
This is exactly why i am just counting on getting to the grand final, these two will pull out an extraordinary game if we make the GF i can just feel it.
Also got a hunch that if we do make the GF Sherro will have an electric run down the wing/through the corridor, crazy i know (someone please tell me i am having visions of the future)

Hawthorn flogs mainly, alot of people want anyone but them to win it so if not Sydney Freo getting their first works for me.
And bitter St Kilda flogs who are more obsessed with us and Ross Lyon than their own team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm re-watching all the games from the first 8 rounds, I'm very confident we'll be back to that, we aren't doing things during games now, that we were doing at the beginning of the season, particularly the hard running, surely we are saving that for finals.
Bingo! I just watched Fyfe's channel 7 interview and he is just oozing confidence that they have another level to go to when finals arrive. I'm pretty sure they will get back to the early season form, let's just hope that it is good enough.

Bingo! I just watched Fyfe's channel 7 interview and he is just oozing confidence that they have another level to go to when finals arrive. I'm pretty sure they will get back to the early season form, let's just hope that it is good enough.

As much as I really want to buy into the whole Ross's magic sleeve/we will flick the switch come finals - I'm having trouble as round 8 was more than 3 months ago and thats an eternity in football.

I'll be thrilled if I'm proven wrong though!!

I've been also watching our early games to try and pinpoint what we were doing that worked so well. The article below is an interesting analysis of how the Crows blew apart the Eagles game plan last week with reference to our early season derby as well.

"Noticing a theme for success? Fast movement and kicking over the top, whether for a shot at goal or to a one-on-one battle......Fremantle were often accurate moving the ball and also patient. They had numerous options to burn the Eagles, largely because they were both smart and daring as they worked the ball around the field."

RTB mentioned this week that we are playing very differently to 2013 (and he also acknowledged that our form was better later than earlier in the season which is the reverse of this year so in that sense not ideal at all). However, the comment that we are playing a very different style of foot caught my attention and what I think he means is the thing that we worked on during preseason and the season proper which is a focus on fast ball movement. Early on it was fluid but of late it has looked manic to the point where we have turned it over and got smashed on the rebound.

We have struggled to implement both fast ball movement and a press it seems. I would have thought that when you have the ball, you move it fast and accurately. When you do not have it, you press and pressure to get it back. Simple surely!

Somehow I reckon footballers more easily understood the old coaching directions rather than all the stats thrown at them on whiteboards at 3 Quarter time these days. I'd love to see a whiteboard held up that simply says "you can't kick goals when you're unconscious".

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/what-can-go-so-wrong-for-west-coast/tabid/91/newsid/174079/default.aspx?

Finals footy is another beast, game plans are followed but tough 1 on footy eventuates with usually special moments decide the difference. Enough of those - we win

Barlow into the guts more and Fyfe forward a little more seèms likely. With Barlow having been held out of the packs a bit so far this year he has had a softer season, and hopefully that can translate into a fresher performance in the role he is made for in the finals. Fyfe is our trump, but he may not be up to going 4 quarters superman in the middle, and he has already shown that he can bring some value into our forward line.

It's interesting that for a few games last month, we've been going with DeBoer and Suban at the coal face rather than Mick, as we would usually do. Is it Ross being coy about his intentions deliberately or poor coaching not to go with one our best mids' strengths?

It's interesting that for a few games last month, we've been going with DeBoer and Suban at the coal face rather than Mick, as we would usually do. Is it Ross being coy about his intentions deliberately or poor coaching not to go with one our best mids' strengths?
It would be really difficult for opposition coaches to know what the hell we will do. Fyfe and Ballantyne especially are mysteries. Only the backline is locked in.

Expecting some closed training sessions this month. Clarke, Pearce and Taberner to be named this week. And if we get to GF expecting noise about Crowley to feature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back